BWP's Hungarian Signpost **FINISHED**

Any military equipment pressed into the service of the other side! Runs from 1st May to 31st May. Moderator: Jssel
BWP
Got in under the wire

Re: BWP's Hungarian Signpost **FINISHED**

Post by BWP »

Well, finally got it done.

I decided, as you can clearly see, not to go with the red-brown part of the camouflage. I kept looking and looking at the original photo but I just couldn't see where the different shades would be (assuming that the original did have both the green and brown); furthermore I quite like the look of it with just the green.

I tried to "feather" the edges to suggest the sprayed-on nature of the camouflage (as can be clearly seen in the original photograph) and it was, of course, only partially successful (if at all). :sad:

Getting that sign to "hang" properly was devilishly hard and, as you can see, I was only partially successful with that. My original idea of using thread didn't pan out: I don't have any thread suitably fine (I'm guessing that in reality the sign was hung with wire) and even if I did, how the heck could I manipulate such short lengths of it? Well, maybe there are folk who can do it, but not me. So I went for some fine (well, fine-ish) stretched sprue which would at least stay straight (in theory). Then it was a matter of trying to get the angles right while giving the glue a chance to dry so it would support the weight ... and then the inevitable repairs after I'd knocked it off a couple of times. At least I had the foresight to apply the "arrow" decals before hanging it.

I applied a gloss coat before moving to the "stripe" decals on the turret. These are provided much longer on the sheet than is actually required to fit, which of course I didn't realise until after I applied them, so I had the fun of trimming wet decals without damaging the paintwork. Remarkably I seemed to manage it. More annoying was the lack of any "bends" in the decals to fit the angled turret shapes which again complicated the issue. Still, liberal use of decal setting solution helped a great deal.

I then practically coated the model in brown pastel chalk (the vehicle in the photo seems particularly dirty) and applied a matt varnish to seal it all in.

I don't think it's my finest effort but it's definitely unusual.
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: BWP's Hungarian Signpost

Post by splash »

You did a great job on that one, your hairy stick work is far better than mine.

I recall in the long distant pass when dinosaurs were still around and just before I got my first airbrush I experimented with painting thin lines of a mixture of the two camo colours to blend them in, I had limited success, but gave it up when I got my airbrush.

Regards
Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
BWP
Got in under the wire

Re: BWP's Hungarian Signpost

Post by BWP »

Thanks! I like the look of it, but I'm a bit disappointed that I couldn't make it look more like the original.
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
My Model Profile
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

Well, poo.

It's been pointed out to me that green-white-red is Italian, not Hungarian. Hungarian is red-white-green.

In my defence I can only say that I was just following the Bison Decals instructions which clearly indicate that the green bar should be at the top ... but it looks like a goof there, and it never occurred to me to double-check. The original photo is b&w of course and it's impossible to tell from there ... but you would expect the red to be on top if they were following the pattern of the Hungarian flag.

Sigh.
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
My Model Profile
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

I think is looks great regardless of the color bar.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0

Return to “The Captured Equipment GB”