Texturing material between Tippex and Milliput suggestion?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
CementNotGlue
Active Participant

Texturing material between Tippex and Milliput suggestion?

Post by CementNotGlue »

Hi all
I'm not filling crevices, rather moulding surface detail on soft plastic, so my Standard Yellow-Grey is too heavy-duty for what I'm attempting and Tippex not bulky enough.

Any suggestions welcome.

The image of 3 bears just entered my brain :roll:

Cheers
CNG
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Texturing material between Tippex and Milliput suggestio

Post by rob_van_riel »

CementNotGlue wrote:I'm not filling crevices, rather moulding surface detail on soft plastic, so my Standard Yellow-Grey is too heavy-duty for what I'm attempting and Tippex not bulky enough.

Any suggestions welcome.
Vallejo putty would seem to fall between the two, but doesn't strike me as the sort of material I'de use for scuplting, then again, neither does Tippex, and you sound like you have a way to work with that as well. A friend of mine once suggested acrylic gel medium for this sort of thing a long time ago, but I never tried that myself.
CementNotGlue
Active Participant

Post by CementNotGlue »

Thanks Rob

Very interesting:

http://www.liquitex.com/GelMediums/;
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Citiadel do a liquid Green Stuff that might work http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Cit ... 9189956004

I have used it for adding detail in the past.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by rob_van_riel »

rob_van_riel wrote:A friend of mine once suggested acrylic gel medium for this sort of thing a long time ago, but I never tried that myself.
I took what I think is the heaviest gel medium for a test run (the local store had Schminke "Acryl Modellier-Paste, fein", other brands may vary of course). It has about the same consistency as Vallejo putty, and can be worked the same way. Once fully set (and be aware that this takes a few days), it is rather harder, and shows no tendency to peel off, eliminating my main problem with the putty. It sands down absolutely smooth. Whether I can get it to work for fine detail sculpting is a question that will have to wait to a much later date. I have some hope though.

I also tested Liquid Green Stuff. This is very comparable to the acrylic gel, except that it is much stiffer, and thus easier to sculpt into a shape. At a guess the green stuff would be best for moderate to fine detail, while the gel could be used for the finest of detail work, as well as as cheap (11 euro for 250ml), non-smelly general filler and for surface treatment on large parts that have rather coarser surfaces than one might like (short run or resin kits..).

Return to “Small Talk”