New Airfix releases.

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Chuck E
Established 1949

New Airfix releases.

Post by Chuck E »

I'll do a full build and sprue shot thing later, but I thought I'd give you a quick 'Heads Up' on these new models

New Airfix releases. Just a few notes from the kits I bought at Sword & Lance.

1/48th Spitfire Ia
Great kit. Right in line with their excellent Vb. 3 Props, 3 canopy versions with alternate fuselage insets. Good cockpit detail. Gun bay detail. It really looks the business. Good decal schemes too.

1/48th Hurricane I
Brilliant! Tons of detail on this one. Fully fitted cockpit, wheel bays and gun bays. Very nice moulding. I want another right now. Again, alternate parts included to allow you to get the perfect fit. Very impressed with this model.

A feature that both these models share is the need to get out a brand new knife blade if you want to open up the panels. If you want to open up the gun bays, you need to score around them and cut them out. Airfix supply replacement, removable parts for this, so you can pose them properly.

Add to these the new Aircrew set and vehicles and you will have a ready made diorama. The figures are very neatly moulded and do not have bases moulded on, as it looks on the box top. There are bases, but you don’t need to add them unless you want to. You get an ammo cart, trolley acc and an oiler trolley too. Add to these the 3 point refueller and Bedford truck and you have your diorama. Sure to be a few of these around at the shows. I’m really glad that Airfix have supplied aircrew ( Including two pilots ) for their new 1/48th releases, as I found the 1/72nd Bomber set mysteriously lacking in people. There is a very old polythene set about, but it’s a bit worn now.

Airfix are adding some notes to the box tops too. Little pieces of info about the featured aircraft, ala Matchbox. Nice touch.

1/144th Boeing 707 in BOAC and Air India Scheme.

This is a very old kit and there has been no attempt to tidy up the moulds. Moulded in the usual softish grey plastic it is going to need some TLC and re-scribing. One good thing is that you get very nice new decals. The way they are printed means that you can put the windows in, rub them smooth and paint the model before adding the decals, which include window detail. This will help a lot. The decals are very nicely printed and have plenty of detail. Unfortunately, my decals have yellow lettering and Speedbird. All the photos ( and the box art ) show these in gold. Hopefully Airfix will add a small correction sheet for these. If there was a B707 with yellow details, I can’t find it on the net.

I'll be getting the equally aged Comet and Vanguard re-releases, too. These feature differing BEA schemes. ( Suit you, Sir! ) I'm making them all 'Wheels up' on nice stands. Up where they belong.

1/72nd Dornier Do 17Z.

Now this is really impressive. A fantastic amount of detail is provided in the box. The large cockpit area is choc full of detail and has enough figures to go around too. The detail parts of the undercarriage are really fine and they look very fragile, so care will be needed. I may only have one of these . . . but you never know.

1/72nd Spitfire IXc
Not new, but new wing parts and decals. I’ll add a little more into the cockpit, but good to see another version hitting the shelves. About time Airfix swapped the modern pilot for a WWII one, though. Mine still has a large Bone Dome and Visor.

In all the models that I’ve mentioned, the value for money gets 10 out of 10. The boxes are absolutely stuffed with plastic.

I picked up new tool Mustang and Fw 190A, but these have been well covered earlier. Very good kits and excellent value. The Mustang was the easiest build so far of the new releases.

So many models, so little time.
Nigel Foster
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Re: New Airfix releases.

Post by Nigel Foster »

Could I please ask with the 1/72 scale Spitfire ixc is the difference the arrangement of the wing guns or are there other differences and parts?

Thanks

Nigel
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Martin R »

Nigel Foster wrote:Could I please ask with the 1/72 scale Spitfire ixc is the difference the arrangement of the wing guns or are there other differences and parts?

Thanks

Nigel
Nigel,

The only difference between the original IXc and this one is the decals, I believe.

regards,

Martin
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

Chuck E wrote:1/72nd Spitfire IXc
Not new, but new wing parts and decals.
I don't believe that there are any new parts, only the new decals.
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Yes, it is just the decals this time. I'd been thinking that the original release was a IXe, but it was a 'C' wing. Sorry. Rushing about again.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

I'll second that the Mk.I spitfire is a sublime kit. I began work on mine a few nights ago and everything in the box is just gorgeous. I'll be buying a second to do the early two blade prop version, which is available in the box.

Parts to build an MK.II are there as well.
Nigel Foster
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by Nigel Foster »

Gentlemen thanks for the information regarding the "new" Spitfire 9.

Nigel
bassman
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by bassman »

If you compare the RAF figures to the two sets of RAF ground crew Eduard released some years ago, which set is the better one? I always found the Eduard set a bit overscale.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

For size, they both look to be about the same. People are different sizes too, so model figures have a bit of leeway.

There are a couple of rather strange poses with the Airfix, but no big problem. I'm using all the sets to get all the bits and pieces.

The Hurricane will be at the centre, but I'm not sure about the layout yet. The Spitfire will also be featured in a second diorama, but all set to go with spinning prop and pilot climbing in. A couple of ground crew too, trolley acc and chocks.
bassman

Post by bassman »

Thanks. I will buy this set as soon as it is available in Holland. My diorama will feature a Spitfire too. Also with spinning prop. a few years ago I managed to fit an Airfix propmotor in the 1/48 Spitfire. With the new figure I can finish the diorama after all these years.
bassman

Post by bassman »

Bought the RAF Ground Crew set yesterday and it I agree it is a fine set. You are right that you can mix the figures with Eduard and ICM sets. Only the dog in the ICM set is much better compared to the Airfix dog.
I think Airfix produced a winner with this set.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

My question is : Why is the maintainer on the Starboard wing filling the gun muzzles with fuel?
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

splash wrote:Image

My question is : Why is the maintainer on the Starboard wing filling the gun muzzles with fuel?
He's hoovering them out! :)
Up in the Great White North
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

"Sorry skipper, running a tad low on tracer rounds. This should light 'em up."
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Maple 01
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Maple 01 »

maintainer?? MAINTAINER????

Do those fine upstanding Erks look like bloody matelots? ;)

No Tea and wads at NAAFI for you

Return to “Small Talk”