Heller Kits

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Gregers
Forum founder

Re: Heller Kits

Post by Gregers »

As someone who once worked in the oil industry I most certainly agree. Some of the stuff I worked on went to the cormorant oil field. I remember seeing that copter at Aberdeen airport many years ago.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Crashpilot
...happily fooling around with styrene

Post by Crashpilot »

Gregers wrote:
A Heller GB sounds good to me.
Oh, I missed out the Heller GB in 2015.
Wouldn´t miss another one next time (now I´m reading this forum a lot more often then back then...)!
Waiting for the day, when wars for territory will be something to be read about in history books only.

Playing Tetris taught me: If I clean up too much, my kits disappear.....8-(

Markus, alias Crashpilot, or Crash, or CP, as you wish
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

I just got this special ordered from emodels, Its for an upcoming cult TV classic build from the TV series Hogans Heroes

.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Saxon
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Saxon »

Gregers wrote:I've never built one I didn't like with the exception of their Spitfire MK1, avoid it like the plague. A horrible kit and a dog of wolfhound proportions, I've built better starfix ones.
Their Draken is superb though, as is the Jaguar.

All he best.

Greg
Their Hellcat isn't very good either. Poor fit throughout.
celt
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by celt »

Having just built the Heller Hellcat,I can confirm Saxons view,its a pig of a kit,there is more filler than plastic. :evil:If it was not a present from my wife it would been thrown in the plastic recycling box ages ago.
Crashpilot
...happily fooling around with styrene

Post by Crashpilot »

....I like Heller kits, but in this case I kept the better parts, like the airscrew, and something of the cockpit, and parts from the undercarriage, and canopy, to "nice up" my
Frog Hellcat, which has a poor looking airscrew, and no cockpit to speak of (well, I have a soft spot for Frog´s Hellcat, it´s not that good, either, but more hassle-free to build, at least I guess, then Heller´s).
My Matchbox Hellcat (soft spot for, of course! :razz: ) will profit from some of those parts, too.
Heller´s fuselage and wings went down the bin (after cutting out and saving ailerons/rudder/flaps: I might use them, another day?) -
not because they look so bad shape-wise, but because the way the fuselage is engineered, makes it very "filler-happy",
and the wing root is too thick, so instead of dumping either of them, I dumped both (there are worse kits out there,
but for some reason this one could get no sympathy....just have too many Hellcats in my stash).
Waiting for the day, when wars for territory will be something to be read about in history books only.

Playing Tetris taught me: If I clean up too much, my kits disappear.....8-(

Markus, alias Crashpilot, or Crash, or CP, as you wish
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

the Bf109B is nice
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
gengriz
Active Participant

Post by gengriz »

celt wrote:Having just built the Heller Hellcat,I can confirm Saxons view,its a pig of a kit,there is more filler than plastic
I suspect this may be dependent on when it was moulded. Heller's QA seems very suspect.

I was quite impressed with mine - it was an easy build, much better detail than Airfix, but not as good as Hasegawa:

http://www.gengriz.co.uk/2015/apr15.htm
50+ years of modelling: http://www.gengriz.co.uk
Recently retired after completing the biggest and most amazing construction kits in the whole world, EVER:
http://youtu.be/2syAt3jXq4s[/color]

Return to “Small Talk”