UAMF Official Facebook page

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Falcon
F-16 Fan

UAMF Official Facebook page

Post by Falcon »

Most forums tend to have their very own Facebook page these days.

I am pleased to announce the launch of the UAMF official facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/130368320841985/;
Chris.

Cold War S.I.G Deputy Leader
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Re: UAMF Official Facebook page

Post by beany »

Rushed straight over to sign up but saw you've already done it so thanks Chris!
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

It's looking to be picking up momentum already 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
iggie

Post by iggie »

What's Facebook?
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

iggie wrote:What's Facebook?
It's what the police show you if you are a witness to a crime.....

:ha: :ha:
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Having joined the Facebook page and lurked on it a few times I have to say- "what's the point ? lads" surely the forum itself is enough of a presence in it's own right, I 'm not inclined to post on it as it just does not appeal.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

lancfan wrote:Having joined the Facebook page and lurked on it a few times I have to say- "what's the point ? lads" surely the forum itself is enough of a presence in it's own right, I 'm not inclined to post on it as it just does not appeal.

David.

I tend to agree. There are some who say that FB will be the next big thing in online modeling. Much as fora replaced usenet groups and email listserves, so to will FB replace the forum.

I dont think it will happen quite just yet. Right now FB doesn't have the archival structure of a forum that I think many of us appreciate. Sure, I can post my pictures on an FB group, but they'll get pushed down the page as new posts come in, and will soon get lost. In a forum, a thread bubbles back to the top with each new reply.

There is also the problem of URL decay with FB posts.

And most importantly, I don't need ALL of my friends seeing me geek out about plastic airplanes with the rest of you dorks! :mrgreen:
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Softscience wrote:

And most importantly, I don't need ALL of my friends seeing me geek out about plastic airplanes with the rest of you dorks! :mrgreen:
Too right. To some of my friends I am a former biker and guitar player/bassist in various local bands and I'd like their memories to remain unsullied :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Nicely stated Ralph. :-D

I feel Facebook is an enigma. Just when I think I will de-activate my account I spy something good. It is overall a study in all types of people that makes up this thing we call the world. I DO NOT THINK IT IS THE NEXT BIG THING. It will "convfefe".

But through all the drivel it has connected me with old friends that got lost over the years. But not new ones. It is what we choose it to be. Frankly I do not wish to air my dirty laundry in that medium. And I am not ready to expose friends of friends to my world.

I will play with it.

Having said all of that you can check out "Upper Peninsula Scale Modelers". I have taken over the club Facebook page from our recently deceased member. Like me, it is a work in progress.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I class myself as a techie nerd but FB defeats me, when it came out it was plain and simple easy to navigate. Unfortunately things changed at a horrendous rate, I finished up being bombarded by emails telling me, other people had got new tractors and crops of wheat in some obscure game or that they had commented on what they had for breakfast.

Because of that, I closed my account, recently I logged back in, and was suprised at how complex it has become and almost impossible to find the things you want, so for me FB is a no go for me.

But having said that, good luck with the new venture, I hope FB brings in more users to the forum, for that reason it can only be a good thing.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
iggie

Post by iggie »

I totally agree about FB hopefully attracting new forum members, but the idea of me ever having a FB account is a total non-starter; the horror stories I've heard, and through having three daughters experienced at first hand with trolling, perving and worse, the sooner it gets banned the better. There has to be better use of people's time surely? (Says the bloke typing on a modelling forum, just before going to glue some plastic together!) :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

The FB page is not really for existing forum members, it is mainly just to have a presence on there and hopefully direct a few wondering souls to the forum.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I'm in a half-dozen FB modeling groups, some open, some closed.
I treat them as quick news/info sources and move along.
Most of the guys I interact with are AMPS or IPMS members that I see at shows -- BUT I am not FB Friends with any of them, so all I see is what they post in the groups I am also a member of, not everything else.

Our FB page will only draw people to the forum if there is some activity. One of the simplest things is to make a post about a build you are just starting or just finished, with a couple pix, and point back to UAMF or just your build thread, whatever. I'm going to start announcing the start of GB's there.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

JamesPerrin wrote:The FB page is not really for existing forum members, it is mainly just to have a presence on there and hopefully direct a few wondering souls to the forum.
And for that reason, hats off to you, for taking the initiative to give us more presence.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
billyb_imp
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by billyb_imp »

I'm not a huge FB fan despite being a member of various pages in the modelling & woodworking world, they just don't have the "personal" touch of a forum such as UAMF.
A start on my first kit a Hawker Hurricane as been made, a spitfire awaits in the wings and thinking about models to come.

Modelling space in shed coming along nicely.

Return to “Small Talk”