Kleer

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
celt
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Kleer

Post by celt »

Now I know this may seem a stupid question,but I am a new convert to this product,so please forgive my ignorance. :) My bottle has finally run out and I can not get any replacements at all!!Can anyone tell if there is another product that works as well.I have tried Humbrol clear and its awful. :cry: I would hate to go back using varnish. :sad: Your help and advice would make an old man very happy. :razz:
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Kleer

Post by ShaunW »

As far as I am aware, Celt and if we are talking about the same product, Johnson Wax Kleer is actually an acrylic varnish designed for use on floor surfaces. I tried it years ago and never got on with it but I am in a minority, everybody else seems to like it! IIRC the product was re-formulated and opinions vary as to the usefulness of the new stuff for modellers. Personally I stick to Humbrol clears/varnishes, call them what you will, applied by airbrush - provided they are mixed thoroughly they are OK IMHO. Don't know what they are like to brush paint though.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

I believe they stopped selling in the UK and online the new stuff I think is called Cristal Clear, please inform me if I'm wrong?
fredk

Post by fredk »

The new stuff can be got in ASDA. The last name it had was 'Pledge with Future Shine' It costs about £4 for 750ml
Alternatives are Astonish from Home Bargains at 99p for 750ml, or Lakeland does a similar product but as I don't have Lakeland here I can't tell you its name or price although afaik it too is about 99p.
I'm currently using Astonish for dipping canopies, varnishing, thinning acrylic paints and fillers
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
m1ks
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by m1ks »

Everything you need to know here:-

https://youtu.be/k6dXkL6CwGY;
m1ks
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by m1ks »

fredk wrote:Lakeland does a similar product but as I don't have Lakeland here I can't tell you its name or price although afaik it too is about 99p.

Lol, lakeland doesn't sell anything for a quid, as someone who cooks and likes kitchen products I often look at their catalogue but they're obscenely expensive, they do a Klear ish product but last check it was closer to a tenner I'm sure.
celt

Post by celt »

Wow,thanks chaps for all your help and advice,much appreciated.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Johnson's discontinued the old formula as it was odourless and careless parents were allowing their little darlings to have it as an alternative to Ribena. The new one smells distinctly, and unpleasantly, floral. It's also nowhere near as good as the old one but, if you do use it be aware that it's a bit thinner than the original so you need to double up. 2 coats, 2 dips etc. There is, however, an alternative from the US called S.C. Johnson Wax - Floor care in 27 oz. bottles. It works just like the old one.

Unfortunately, it cost just shy of fifteen pounds a bottle :shock:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
celt

Post by celt »

Hi Dazzled,at £15 a bottle,I will stick to Humbrol Clear.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

I looked at the Astonish stuff from Home Bargains earlier but on testing it on buster I think I've got the wrong type so this will go on the shelf with my airbrush cleaner.

Return to “Small Talk”