Those "AAAAARRRRRGGGHHH!" moments...

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
MerlinJones

Those "AAAAARRRRRGGGHHH!" moments...

Post by MerlinJones »

I make mistakes, you know I do.
But there are some that...well...you know... :oops:

Carefully removing a part from the sprue and cleaning it up, only to remove a beautifully moulded piece of tiny detail.

Building a beautiful cockpit sub-assembly, a gorgeous little model all in itself, to find that when you try to join up the fuselage halves, theres a gap of at least a millimeter.

Having sealed the canopy, you notice an obvious bit of unpainted plastic glaring at you...or the Speck Sprite has been at play.

Scratchbuilding a lovely replacement for a detailed piece that went "Ping" several hours ago, and being well chuffed wth yourself, only for your replacement piece to also go "Ping", into the nether wotsits.

Applying accelerator to superglue, just as you remember the last time you did and the fumes travelled the length of the model, to fog the canopy from the inside.

Having just realised that you were about to paint the panes, rather than the frames, because you'd just removed the wrong bits of masking.

Removing masking to find the tape brings with it a large piece of paint, or decal.

Getting that just-so-perfect paint job...and sticking a fingerprint in the middle of it.

That moment when you place your decal in the water and it dissolves.

Finishing the model and admiring it from all sides, when a wrong squeeze opens up that seam you'd spent ages and ages fixing.

Finally finishing a model...and dropping it from a reasonably great height.

...And they call this a leisure pursuit! :shock:

Regards,
Bruce
Beowulf Shaeffer
Earning Reputation Points

Re: Those "AAAAARRRRRGGGHHH!" moments...

Post by Beowulf Shaeffer »

MerlinJones wrote:.

Scratchbuilding a lovely replacement for a detailed piece that went "Ping" several hours ago, and being well chuffed wth yourself, only for your replacement piece to also go "Ping", into the nether wotsits.

so you scratch a replacement for the replacement and just as you finish it the original strangely reappears :shock:
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell

On the Bench: Beagle
Next on the bench: not sure yet lol
general rocket
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by general rocket »

I recognise all of the above. I did think about adding a few of my own, such as gluing parts back to front (not that I've ever done such a thing, honest!) but got board half way through the list.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

Removing the masking from a canopy to reveal crisply defined, perfectly transparent framing.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

That one extra snip when trimming a vac canopy..........
running at the edge of their world
bilby1968

Post by bilby1968 »

Getting to the last stages of a NKR CA-15 Kangaroo and dropping it back onto the desk from a height of about 3 inches and watching the resin undercarriage disintegrate into pieces that were never seen again
3 on the bench at anytime............well sometimes!!
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

Gluing the fuselage halves together to discover an hour later that I forgot to first attach the instrument panel (or cockpit assembly, engine, tailwheel etc)
Rick Lowe
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Rick Lowe »

Gluing something together (Fuselage, Upper to Lower hull, etc) last thing at night.
Coming back in the morning and realising there were still parts to be added/finishing work that should have been done BEFORE the previous operation occurred...

Another reason to quit for the night before the decision-making capacity is too diminished...
though it's happened during the day too...

Rick
Mad Kiwi Rick

If Brute Force and Ignorance don't work,
You're not using enough.

When In Doubt, Empty The Magazine.

I am currently unsupervised... I know, it freaks me out, too. But the possibilities are endless!!
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

...following on from Rick's one, pushing past bedtime and joining parts and thinking 'that looks all square' to find in the morning that it is anything but square with bonus points if the damage is not recoverable...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Falcon
F-16 Fan

Post by Falcon »

Recently painted the underside of an F-16 with an old tin Humbrol 127 enamel. Looked great but had forgotten to paint the pylons and drop tanks.

Set the airbrush up to do them and decided to spray the undersides and pylons of the next one on the line while I was at it.

Used a new tin of Humbrol 127, sprayed them up and left them to dry.

Two days later I went to put the newly painted pylons and tanks onto the recently completed Viper only to find the paints didn't match.

The newer Humbrol is a bit lighter than the older stuff and the problem is it was very noticable.

So I had to paint the pylons and tanks again but this time using the older Humbrol 127.

As for the Viper that is still on the production line, it will be left painted in the newer Humbrol 127 as it is actually the correct shade of grey. The older stuff looked to have a bit of a green tint to it.
Chris.

Cold War S.I.G Deputy Leader
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

Lots of goodies here. :razz:

Some of my aarrrghhh !"#&/)("# blunders are the typical one of forgetting to put weight in the nose.
Sometimes I cracked the canopy open and lured some led down in it, out of sight.
If I'm not wrong I once removed the propellor to be able to put weight in. But I don't know if that was real, or part of a nightmare. :roll:

Suddenly finding cockpit parts on the bench after the fuselage halves are glued together and filler applied to the seam.

Stirring so hard the tin falls over even if holding it tight, well thinking I held it tight.

Losing a piece to the carpet monster. Replacing it. After its glued/painted on, the carpet monster burps up the missing part.

And lots more, can recognise lots of what you guys write.

Sissel
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

My standard one.

Although I have finally learned enough when masking to get the grey & green where they should go, instead of reversed, I still mask on the wrong side of the line so the proportions are off, way off.

I'd post a picture of my latest "effort", the Gladiator for the CC SIG display, but I'm more focused on fixing it, for the 3rd time.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Sissel
Modelling Lady and Scholar

Post by Sissel »

jRatz wrote: I'd post a picture of my latest "effort", the Gladiator for the CC SIG display, but I'm more focused on fixing it, for the 3rd time.
Oh, come on. Let us see! :-D

Sissel
Confused as always, and somewhere in hiding on the Scandinavian peninsula...
MDT

Post by MDT »

My favourite current mistake - After adding the precise and perfect amount of ballast in every available crevice, you put your latest pride and joy on its undercart for the for the first time...and watch it tail-sit straight onto its backside!,

Return to “Small Talk”