Oh, No! - My Stash is Getting Unfeasibly Large!

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
IronMan129
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Oh, No! - My Stash is Getting Unfeasibly Large!

Post by IronMan129 »

Or Spitfires!
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

gnomemeansgnome wrote:Because you can't have enough Camels!
Truth! :mrgreen:
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
Falcon
F-16 Fan

Post by Falcon »

The stash grew a little more this weekend

From my local club night....
Airfix 1/72 Fokker Friendship (mostly complete)
Matchbox 1/72 Bristol Beaufighter
Matchbox 1/72 Vickers Wellesley (part built)

And today...
Airfix 1/48 Supermarine Seafire FR.46/47
Chris.

Cold War S.I.G Deputy Leader
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Still acquiring and not building again yet but slowing down the former and working to create room for the latter...even for me this was a surprise acquisition...saw a reference to it on another site I follow, @US$100 including postage down under, how could I resist.

If you were wondering about the potential of 3D printers for our hobby, this might give you a hint. Yes, it is a 1/72 Dornier Do-X, printed on a 3D printer; with a full interior - the instructions are downloadable on the website if you'd like to have a look: http://one-man-model.main.jp/ My version is from the first test batch and it printed in PLA instead of ABS so is not quite as temperature resistant but not to any extent likely to be a challenge here.

The surface is a little rough but not anywhere close to what I was expecting; I'm hoping that a primer and a sand will result in a workably smooth surface.

Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Had to go to the big smoke of Palmerston North last week for some meetings...was on my way out of town towards home when I realised I hadn't stopped off in Mr Models to see if I needed any supplies (paint, blades etc)...I honestly did not intent to buy any models but when he had three SSPs for 505 or more off, and they were three old friends, and I had been wanting to get the Ontos since it was rereleased, it was too easy...I think I have a Mace and Teracruzer already so might do something different with this one - the chassis does lend itself to other whiffery options and the tractor was always well away from the trailer in launch position, + there were actually three truck configurations for each missile...

The Hercules I'm pretty sure is actually the old 1/40 Revell scale - will check the missile length when I build it but I have enough 1/40 kits that it won't look out of place.

The Ontos is all the more nicer - for it's era - in having an interior. Last time I built it - in the 80s - the only changes I made from OOB were to replace the barrels with brass tube, and use plastic tube for the ammunition containers (they usually weren't removed until just before loading; I wanted to replace the commander's MG with a 1/32 30cal but couldn't find the Airfix multipose one at that time, plus I also wanted to add the four spotting rifles on each RCL...

Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Last ones...forgot about these...

From Taupo Hobbies in...Taupo...I thought the RSO might have been a rebox of the Italeri one but it is all Dragon and very intricate...only $21 as it is the last of the supplier's Dragon stock so it would have been rude not to...the Twin Otter is, of course, the old Matchbox kit but only has instructions for the wheeled version but parts for skis and floats as well - easy enough to download the right instructions from the Revell site...not sure what I will do about markings yet...

Wordpress image hosting seems to working OK...

Think that is the last of the new acquisitions...might do one more paper model buy before year's end as there are some models I HAVE to have in that realm as well...
iggie

Post by iggie »

Love the Renwall kits and their artwork, very evocative and very much a product of their era!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

iggie wrote:Love the Renwall kits and their artwork, very evocative and very much a product of their era!
Me too...probably a large contributing factor to my unauthorised spend last week - if it had been the 90s style re-release artwork I probably would have just walked on by...it's pretty boring...would like to find an equivalent scale H-21 to suspend the Ontos under a la the box art...and since I think I already have another, plan on doing the Nike linked into another, I think there used to be connected in banks of six?
Spaceowl

Post by Spaceowl »

This was the handsome return on a badly beaten up 1 24 scale Airfix Spitfire, courtesy of Greggers:

Many thanks for that, old chap, hope the new Spitfire comes out nicely.
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

SJPONeill wrote: Yes, it is a 1/72 Dornier Do-X,

:wow :wow :wow

THIS THING I WANT!
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
iggie

Post by iggie »

VickersVandal wrote:
SJPONeill wrote: Yes, it is a 1/72 Dornier Do-X,

:wow :wow :wow

THIS THING I WANT!
I'd be interested in getting hold of one too! 8-)
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Spaceowl

Post by Spaceowl »

I have to ask (if it isn't an indelicate question) how much did that set you back? I get 1/3000th scale ships from Shapeways 3-D printers and they're very expensive for their size - and that's tiny!
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

The Charity shop hunt continues and by chance of asking the right person in Scope I found myself buying another kit!
A 1/72 Revell HE111 H-6 for £3 is not to be sniffed at!
Then later on in PDSA we found a 1/43 Airfix Ford Focus WRC for my Mrs's stash at £2.99!
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Oh no, not again! My stash continues to get totally redunkulous! Bought this bad boy last weekend off of a seller on craig's liszt. All the pieces are there and the Air France decals look to be in decent shape and should be pretty do able with a lick or two of decal film solution.

Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Spaceowl wrote:I have to ask (if it isn't an indelicate question) how much did that set you back? I get 1/3000th scale ships from Shapeways 3-D printers and they're very expensive for their size - and that's tiny!
US$100 including postage to NZ from Japan BUT it is one of the prototype 'prints' and in PLA not ABS so it is not as temperature resilient as ABS (hardly likely to be a problem here though...

I think production ones are around US$150 - he doesn't have any on his ebay site atm... https://www.ebay.com/sch/onemanmodel/m. ... 7675.l2562

Here's his FB page https://www.facebook.com/people/Toshihi ... 5590215920; Can't wait for the Saro Princess, if it is as good as the Do-X...

Return to “Small Talk”