Accuracy..?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Eric Mc
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Accuracy..?

Post by Eric Mc »

chrism wrote:
Eric Mc wrote: Not that long ago... (mid 1990s)
:ha: :ha:

Errr... it is 2017 now
I'm well aware of what year we are living in.

In plastic modelling terms I look on the mid 1990s as the start of the "modern age" because it was at that time that the things we attribute to "modern mouldings", such as engraved panel lines, good fit, use of CAD etc began to become the norm in mainstream manufacturing. It was also the era where the "short run" manufacturers began to produce kits that were not far off what the mainstream guys could do.

So, to me, the mid 1990s is not that long ago from a modelling perspective.
Muttzley
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Muttzley »

As long as the model looks like the subject involved, I don't usually have a problem with accuracy.

That saying, I could excuse accuracy issues on older kits, but not on modern ones.
Crashpilot
...happily fooling around with styrene

Post by Crashpilot »

Chuck E wrote:
I like to build a mix of old and new models and tend to apply certain rules, and have simple attitudes, to accuracy.

Old Classics I will build out of the box and improve them simply using anything that was on the go way back when they were issued. I'll fatten wheels and box in wheel bays. I may even re-scribe lines. I don't try to go much further on accuracy with these kits, as their little inaccuracies have a certain charm.
I got a very similar attitude!
In the end I´m not always rational, when it comes to accuracy!
There are some kits that do look quite "un-right" when finished, but I still like them!
The old Airfix Defiant, Me 262, Spitfire IX, I have no soft feelings for, but still like my old:
(ok, a bit esoteric for most of you) Plasticart MiG-21 in (roughly) 1:100 scale:

Waiting for the day, when wars for territory will be something to be read about in history books only.

Playing Tetris taught me: If I clean up too much, my kits disappear.....8-(

Markus, alias Crashpilot, or Crash, or CP, as you wish

Return to “Small Talk”