2017 Range Out on the Airfix website

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
bobblelink
Active Participant

Re: 2017 Range Out on the Airfix website

Post by bobblelink »

Not much to interest me, and I am pleased with that as I can get on with reducing my stash.
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

jamesaw wrote:I'll be picking up all the 1/72 new releases as they become available. Pretty happy with the ones they are doing (especially the Phantom) and in a glass half full observation, not deluging us with tons of new stuff takes the pressure off both the wallet and the build schedule!

Very true Howard. For me I think the Phantom will be my only "must buy" although there are lots of things on there I'd like to have. I'm just going to have to gird my willpower and resist :roll:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

I'm after all the new releases for starters, plus a couple that have just appeared from last year's list. Some of the re-issues may not be picked up on, but I may be swayed. There was only two on the list that I didn't need. I need to order the catalogue.

I would guess that times are tight for model manufacturers and am glad that Airfix is still coming up with some excellent new tools. With the Phantom appearing, I'm expecting an FGR2 next year and, hopefully, a new tool Buccaneer S2 to go with this year's Phantom FG1. A nice Ark Royal set.

Maybe Airfix would like to issue a print out carrier deck and decoupage island for the Ark as part of a Gift Set. Phantom FG1 / Buccaneer S2 and CD with the artwork. A small set of handlers and trucks to follow. They already have a nice new Sea King.

On the same lines, they could do a Falklands set with their new Sea Harriers and Harrier GR3s, Sea Kings and the CD for Invincible's Flight deck / island.

Just a thought. This idea for additional scenic features could be expanded to suit all Airfix's kits.
So many models, so little time.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

...and maybe a nice 1/350 Ark Royal to go with that Ark Royal set.......

But that is a good idea, Chuck - you should e-ail them with the suggestion.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

How about a nice piece of ship's deck with a catapult and crane for the Walrus ??
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

jRatz wrote:How about a nice piece of ship's deck with a catapult and crane for the Walrus ??
Crying out for it I would say.

I'm going to try hard not to increase my collection of unbuilt kits this year and I think I will restrict myself to the Phantom. And maybe the '262. Perhaps also the 1/48th P-40. Damn you Airfix, why do you have to make life so difficult? :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
jezbrook
Getting well comfy!

Post by jezbrook »

Having got my Airfix Catalogue on Wednesday 11th, I have now completed my Constant Scale article on the 2017 Additions and Deletions. Constant Scale will now go to the printers.

The Article has been posted on the "Stop Press" page of the A.C.C. Website:
http://www.airfixcollectorsclub.co.uk/;

It should provide interesting reading!!

jezbrook
chrism

Post by chrism »

Out of interest, with what must be a very small range of kits to showcase, I am curious as to what they have done to fill out the catalogue pages for the money. Would you mind my asking please: how many pages does the catalogue consist of this year, and what sort of information is in there to fill it out with please? Thanks.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

PaulBradley wrote:...and maybe a nice 1/350 Ark Royal to go with that Ark Royal set.......

But that is a good idea, Chuck - you should e-ail them with the suggestion.

A 1/350th Eagle class Ark Royal?

.....I'm just considering which body part I'd trade for one ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
jezbrook
Getting well comfy!

Post by jezbrook »

It's 96 pages long. The pictures are much bigger - 3 to a page. Humbrol occupies 18 pages and the Technical Index 10. The rest seems packed. It is much better than last years and the bigger pictures do justice to the boxtops as well helping us old geezers to see! Also it's laid out in order, not like last year's mixed-up one.

jezbrook
iggie

Post by iggie »

jezbrook wrote:It's 96 pages long. The pictures are much bigger - 3 to a page. Humbrol occupies 18 pages and the Technical Index 10. The rest seems packed. It is much better than last years and the bigger pictures do justice to the boxtops as well helping us old geezers to see! Also it's laid out in order, not like last year's mixed-up one.

jezbrook
I'd agree that the 2017 catalogue is better than last year's somewhat confused layout. There are also indications of release dates (nearest month) for the forthcoming new tools and new schemes which (if kept to this year) makes life a little easier for those (like me :shock: ) that want the new releases as soon as they are available. I suspect though that a sizeable element of not holding one's breath will be involved!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “Small Talk”