Closures of LMS

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Eric Mc
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Closures of LMS

Post by Eric Mc »

Airfix kits can be had starting at between £5.99 - £7.99. I think that those types of prices are well within the bounds of "pocket money" in the modern era.
Maple 01
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Maple 01 »

I think the thing we miss is the audience has moved on, for the children of the 60s and 70s World War II was still relatively close, our fathers fought in it, films about it were on every week, we bought war comics etc - younger generation don't have the same connection, competition from other pastimes....even if ASDA were knocking out kits for £1.99 a throw apart from us horders would the general public be interested?
Crashpilot
...happily fooling around with styrene

Post by Crashpilot »

Here in Germany the competition from the online shops led and leads to closure of the LMS, too.
Just read an article about the soon-to-be closure of one of the oldest LMS of Germany, "Modellbau Rettkowsky"
in Hamburg! :sad:
Waiting for the day, when wars for territory will be something to be read about in history books only.

Playing Tetris taught me: If I clean up too much, my kits disappear.....8-(

Markus, alias Crashpilot, or Crash, or CP, as you wish
ara398
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by ara398 »

Hornby's latest slap in the face for Aussie retailers (and customers!) - all Hornby stock ordered by the official Australian importer will cost 15% extra (Australia only).

Yes, that's Airfix, Scalextrix and Hornby

The online Hong Kong sellers will do brisk business...

Adrian
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I have just visited Hobby Craft in Yeovil and found their selection of Airfix kits was down to half a small isle of kits less than 30 to choose from, mostly the children's Lego type and the big scale see through engines and start sets.

They had more Tamiya and Revell kits than Airfix. :shock:

I think the prospects of seeing any new Airfix kits in your LMS's is becoming more and more remote just leaving you to buying direct from Airfix and having to pay postage :evil:
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Saxon
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Saxon »

ara398 wrote:Hornby's latest slap in the face for Aussie retailers (and customers!) - all Hornby stock ordered by the official Australian importer will cost 15% extra (Australia only).

Yes, that's Airfix, Scalextrix and Hornby

The online Hong Kong sellers will do brisk business...

Adrian
I've noticed for a while that Ebay is better value, I saw the new Airfix Victor for $75 AUD, free postage on Ebay yet at a store in the CBD it's priced at $110. Doesn't do much to make me want to shop in stores.
splash wrote:I have just visited Hobby Craft in Yeovil and found their selection of Airfix kits was down to half a small isle of kits less than 30 to choose from, mostly the children's Lego type and the big scale see through engines and start sets.

They had more Tamiya and Revell kits than Airfix. :shock:

I think the prospects of seeing any new Airfix kits in your LMS's is becoming more and more remote just leaving you to buying direct from Airfix and having to pay postage :evil:
Won't buy direct from Airfix either as their postage rates are insane to Australia. Although for me Airfix was never the sentimental favourite as growing up none of the toy stores in my area stocked them. So seeing more Tamiya, Revell, Hasegawa is just the norm for me.

Return to “Small Talk”