Closures of LMS

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Saxon
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Closures of LMS

Post by Saxon »

On the (sort of) bright side most of Airfix's releases for 2017 are subjects that have been done by others, so if a LMS or modeler wants to give up on them they can quite easily. Smaller stores aren't going to put with that kind of attitude that makes life harder for them.
mylo66
Getting well comfy!

Post by mylo66 »

Just been into Canterbury Fenwick's. Everything hornby related had gone. Staff in the store said 150 consessions have or are going to close.He said Hornby were moving to an online trading model. Bang goes any future public awareness. Might as well change the boxes to brown cardboard. Of course, none of this is official & not from the horse's mouth.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

It sounds like there is a trend here.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

As a long term Airfix modeller, I'm saddened when I hear about these issues.

Issue 1: Closure of LMS.

I'm afraid that this is not going to improve. The hobby is still popular with a lot of people, but not as popular as it was before the arrival of the Digital revolution. The majority of Kids are no longer interested in the hobby and are more interested in games and iPads etc. When I was a kid, many more of us had hands on hobbies. Only the larger shops will survive, and those with smaller model departments have other strings to their bow. I feel that Airfix should still be able to supply any quantity of kits to the few remaining shops. They can easily get kits to me with 10% club discount and free postage over £30, so why not use the same system for their LMS orders. The LMS would have a fixed discount, but orders could be smaller. I'm not sure why this is happening. So long as the LMS is a bona fide business, I don't see a problem.

Other factors are such as internet buying of brand new and second hand kits. Just look on Ebay for the sheer number of models that are selling.

Issue 2: Exposure.

Simply put, Airfix need another Woolies style outlet. F W Woolworth and Airfix were a major team. All the latest models on the racks for pocket money prices. Always plenty to choose from and plenty of paints and glue. We don't have this anymore. There are Hobbycraft stores about, with reasonable numbers of kits, though they are not really model shops. Boyes Stores are about as close to Woolies as can be, but there are very few kits there. Their paints and accessories are the largest part of the Model Section. There are not the racks full of Airfix kits that Woolies had. The budget chains do get some in at reasonable prices, but you have limited choice and availability and there are rarely any accessories on the shelves.

I suppose that we can still source any kit from one source, or another, so I guess that this is the way that we shall go. In the meantime, we just save up for the model shows and see what bargains we can get at those.

I'm still surprised that model companies are churning out so many new kits. Proportionately speaking, how many modellers are out there? Somebody must still be buying these by the thousand.
So many models, so little time.
iggie

Post by iggie »

As far as exposure is concerned, those of us of an age to remember saving our pocket money and going to our local newsagent for the latest series one or two kit each week/fortnight/month maybe don't appreciate as much as younger people that the internet is the way to get exposure nowadays.......and if that is the case then internet based selling is the way to maintain sales and turnover. The loss of the LMS, and the withdrawal of kits from concessions would seem to be the evidence of this, alongside online outlets being granted apparently huge stocks and matching discounts to allow for the sale of high volumes at low margins. How can it be that £100+ 1/24th kits are being auctioned at a start price of £0.99 :shock:
As I suggested in my earlier reply, the likes of JAdlam at al are fast becoming Airfix's defacto distribution network and retail face; this is of course to the detriment to the LMS, but if I was a model shop I'd be on the phone (whoops, email... :roll: ) to Adlams and be negotiating with them to handle my store stock, or even dispatch my own on-line retail orders.
In the end, it's about moving with the times; a lot of us don't, and won't like it but things change and that's all there is to it.
The fact that eBay is teeming with model kit transactions, and that manufacturers including Airfix are still churning kits out (including what seems to be an ever increasing number of new-tools) would suggest that the demand is out there, and it can't be just us old stagers feeding that demand....
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

I think I'm rapidly becoming my local online model shop. I've got 250+ kits and decal sets to go on sale this year ;-)
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

I suppose that I must be happy with my memories of toy shops and model shops. Pocket money days, gone by. It's a bit of a shame that kids don't have these wondrous places any more, but what they never had, they'll never miss. Luckily, my kids have all had a taste of the old toy shops over the years.

I agree with Iggie that someone must be buying these kits. I wonder who they are?

I think that I'm going to be like Toby C some time this year. I have had some clear outs, but this year I really must dedicate myself to clearing the attic . . . . well, a bit of the attic. Just too many kits. That's my problem. Too many Kits, too slow a build rate and Too few years left, even if I go on to the 100 not out.

Ah well . . . .
So many models, so little time.
celt

Post by celt »

I was at my local Hobbycraft store today and their Airfix display,kits and paints were almost bare.They had no vehicles at all except for an German truck and gun and a Churchill tank.The aircraft shelf was rundown as well.When I asked the staff what was up they told me that there was no humbrol in the delivery.
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

I don't know if it affects all W H Smith stores with a Modelzone in, but the Glasgow Sauchiehall St. store is doing away with their Modelzone. I just popped in for some Humbrol paints and what was 8 racks of kits, paints tools etc. is now just 2 racks marked 'Clearance'. Unfortunately there was nothing of interest to me. I spotted a Keil Kraft bus, but it was a Routemaster, (there were quite a few used by Scottish Bus Group companies but they're generally regarded like grey squirrels by preservation groups up here)
If you have a W H Smith nearby, it might be worth a look in soon (if you're into Revell 1/24 cars!)
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Just back from Hobbycraft, Telford. Only 13 different Airfix kits on a 4 foot section. Full side of aisle was quick builds and starter sets. 2 and 3/4 aisle sides for Revell, Tamiya and Italeri (Revell having 1 and 1/2 ).
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I zipped into Cardiff on the train early this morning as I'd run out of XF-18 for my Canberra. I got in before Antics opened so I thought I'd check out the WHSmith in Queen Street. The Modelzone there is also pretty much gone with just a few shelves remaining. Kits are offered "buy one get one free". However all the models are at least twice their normal retail price.

Nice to see WHS aren't trying to milk the Modelzone demise in any way eh? :frown:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
iggie

Post by iggie »

Hobbycraft Milton Keynes still have a good selection of Airfix, plenty of larger kits as well as starter and quick build sets. Revel have the same shelf space as Airfix, Tamiya less than both Airfix and Revell. Good stocks of Tamiya and Airfix paints, less so Revell
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Is it likely that Smiths might sell off the Modelzone brand to somebody who might actually try to use it properly?

I've not come across a single Smiths in London, Hampshire, Surrey or Berkshire that ever had a Modelzone section.

Here in Farnborough we've just had a huge Smyths toyshop open but I'm very disappointed to find they don't sell any models or model related product at all.
The day it opened (4 March) Farnborough town centre was gridlocked.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

WH Smiths in Bedford didn't have a Modelzone section when I went there this week. Maybe they did and got rid of it before I visited.

On a brighter note, Goldings (which is actually an Ironmongers), has been rearranging and doing up it's model section. I was pleased to see a few Revell kits as well as the ususal Airfix. There were also some by a maker I can't recall now, but they had Mil-4's and Su-25's. They also had a small selection of Hornby train stuff and some decals in little packets and bigger ones. I picked up about eight for around three quid total. As well as a PE set for the 1/24th Trumpeter Hurricane, despite the fact I have the Airfix version!!. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Chuck E wrote: Issue 2: Exposure.

Simply put, Airfix need another Woolies style outlet. F W Woolworth and Airfix were a major team. All the latest models on the racks for pocket money prices. Always plenty to choose from and plenty of paints and glue. We don't have this anymore. There are Hobbycraft stores about, with reasonable numbers of kits, though they are not really model shops. Boyes Stores are about as close to Woolies as can be, but there are very few kits there. Their paints and accessories are the largest part of the Model Section. There are not the racks full of Airfix kits that Woolies had. The budget chains do get some in at reasonable prices, but you have limited choice and availability and there are rarely any accessories on the shelves.

I suppose that we can still source any kit from one source, or another, so I guess that this is the way that we shall go. In the meantime, we just save up for the model shows and see what bargains we can get at those.

I'm still surprised that model companies are churning out so many new kits. Proportionately speaking, how many modellers are out there? Somebody must still be buying these by the thousand.
I agree with you on exposure but I don't think Airfix fit into the Woolies style market anymore. I miss the days of simple cheap bagged kits. They fit nicely onto the rungs at Woolies and Chemists and other non traditional hobby stores and their price, as well as actually being able to see what was in the bag appealed to kids and parents who were unaware of what these things were.

Airfix kits now are quite expensive, as their kits have become more complex and they try and compete with Tamigawa and Trumpeter etc. Don't get me wrong the new kits are nice but the pricing is out of the ball park of most kids even today who just want something to play with just as we once did.

And certainly too much for a parent to spend money on when the kid would just destroy the kit one way or another anyway. Again as many of us once did.

I know Airfix also have their snap together kits but again they look fake and cost money. What they need is simple 1/72 fighters in bagged form, keeping the costs as low as possible. That would even appeal to budget modelers who seek some nostalgia.

Also some different subjects! The same old same old every year gets dull. Especially if you are talking about aiming for a youth market which I realize they aren't but is the subject at hand between us right now anyway.

To try and get kids interested you need to have a good selection of diverse subjects for a start.

Return to “Small Talk”