last chance for acrylics

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
celt
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: last chance for acrylics

Post by celt »

Sir T wrote:
celt wrote:
Ratch wrote:Vallejo are my paints of choice, better than any others IMHO :)
As a user of the hairy stick,I find there are no truly usuable acrylic paints,but I have not tried Vallejo Model Air yet,I have tried ordinary Vallejo, and they are good for small details,painting larege areas they are to be found wanting.Are the model air any better regarding large areas Ratch.
Hi Celt,

I know I'll be shot down in flames for this but Humbrol's acrylics (which I used to hate) are perfectly good for brush painting with the right techniques - I can PM you some tips if you like.

David (Lancfan) gets good results from Revel paints too.

Regards

Stuart

Hi Sir T,I used to use Humbrol enamels quite happily but because of my wifes illness I have had to change to acrylics with mixed results,IMHO Humbrol,Revell,Tamiya and Velljo are all about the same,good for details but can be found wanting on larger surfaces.This is why I do small models.I want to make larger models but the paint problems keep me small. :sad:
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

celt wrote:This is why I do small models.I want to make larger models but the paint problems keep me small. :sad:
Have you ever tried airbrushing? I find myself quite unable to evenly cover large surfaces, no matter what kind of paint I use, but with an airbrush, that's almost automatic.
celt

Post by celt »

rob_van_riel wrote:
celt wrote:This is why I do small models.I want to make larger models but the paint problems keep me small. :sad:
Have you ever tried airbrushing? I find myself quite unable to evenly cover large surfaces, no matter what kind of paint I use, but with an airbrush, that's almost automatic.
Hi Rob,yes I have,but due to my wifes illness,I do my modelling in the same room,she cant be left alone,so airbrush is definately out.The Humbrol enamels that I used to use were ideal,but the chemicals that are in them,play havoc with my wifes breathing.I have tried all the acrylics out there and none are good at large areas,hence small models or no models. :sad:
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

celt wrote:Hi Rob,yes I have,but due to my wifes illness,I do my modelling in the same room,she cant be left alone,so airbrush is definately out.The Humbrol enamels that I used to use were ideal,but the chemicals that are in them,play havoc with my wifes breathing.I have tried all the acrylics out there and none are good at large areas,hence small models or no models. :sad:
I see how that needs to take priority. Sounds to me like any airbrushing is out then; even if the solvents aren't noticable on acrylics, there's the small matter of resin and pigment flying around, which should be avoided when breathing problems are involved.
Have you ever considered trying your hand at 54mm or larger figures? By the sound of it, those would be a natural match for your circumstances..
celt

Post by celt »

rob_van_riel wrote:
celt wrote:Hi Rob,yes I have,but due to my wifes illness,I do my modelling in the same room,she cant be left alone,so airbrush is definately out.The Humbrol enamels that I used to use were ideal,but the chemicals that are in them,play havoc with my wifes breathing.I have tried all the acrylics out there and none are good at large areas,hence small models or no models. :sad:
I see how that needs to take priority. Sounds to me like any airbrushing is out then; even if the solvents aren't noticable on acrylics, there's the small matter of resin and pigment flying around, which should be avoided when breathing problems are involved.
Have you ever considered trying your hand at 54mm or larger figures? By the sound of it, those would be a natural match for your circumstances..
Hi Rob,I live in the country,and the nearest model shop is in the city,and figures are not its forte.I have a distrust of internet shopping,having been stung twice :evil: As you rightly said any airbrushing is out,I just hope some firm introduces a truly brushable acrylic paint.

Return to “Small Talk”