Where to start?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Where to start?

Post by iggie »

As ever, there are no hard and fast rules in this hobby; you'll find over time what works for you and the kit you ate working on....
Some like to prime everything on the sprue, others like to assemble sub-units and prime, others build the whole thing before any priming.....and some like me hardly ever prime!
I've only ever built one motorcycle kit, 40 years ago so can't really make suggestions about the kit you've bought, just enjoy it however you tackle it and learn fir the next one
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

A great choice of subject Lee, the classic 80's Suzuki Katana 1100. I would suggest starting a build thread in the Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles section of the forum and then we can all follow along or alternatively you might wish to open a thread in the Workbench Window section, which is used by many of us to show the current builds on our benches. Personally, I would approach the kit in sections, such as the engine, frame, tank and seat units etc, build them, prime them and then paint them. I wouldn't advise removing all of the kit parts from the sprues first just the ones that are required for each sub-section but, as Iggie has pointed out, there are no hard and fast rules.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Great choice. I built this kit back in 2014. It builds up very nicely.

COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

When applying the primer and top coat, apply several light coats allowing drying time between each coat, the primer dries quick and can be reapplied after about 30 minutes the top coat needs several hours or overnight befor reapplying.

If you sprey the paint too heavily it will run or fill all the fine detail.

Don't forget to shake the cans of paint well before using.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Lee_k
starter kit

Post by Lee_k »

Thanks for the tips

@Dazzled - yeah i saw your build thread last night, ran through it a few times...not sure i'll be trying some of the things you did on my first one however haha!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I hope my build thread forewarns you about some of the pitfalls you may encounter. You'll need lots of aluminium coloured paint ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!

Return to “Small Talk”