Where to start?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Lee_k
starter kit

Where to start?

Post by Lee_k »

Hi,

Newbie here - havent touched modelling for years since i was a young kid and i shudder to think how some of them really looked haha!

So couple of questions that i dare say people get sick of hearing!

All summed up in one really - where to start?

So looking at getting back into it, will be a bit of a part time hobby for them moments where the 1 year old or work doesnt have your full attention.

Is there different levels of kit? - How can you tell and where do you start?

Then makes? - i seem to read that you cant really go wrong with Tamiya kits for fit and detail?

Any general tips for that first model? What do i need to go and buy tomorrow if i want to get started?

Thanks
Lee
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Where to start?

Post by iggie »

Hi Lee, welcome to the forum!

Any of the smaller Airfix new tool kits will be a goid and economic start. I would buy paint seperately and stick to acrylic as it's just easier than enamels while you get back into things. You really can't go wrong with the Spitfire Mk.1a; great fit, good detail and who fishnet love a Spit?
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy the stay. Iggie is right and to add to the list: Bf109E, P51D, P40C, Spit XIX and IX all in 1/72 scale. Low cost, great fit and a wonderful place to start. And the folks here will be glad to help you along.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

I shouldn't worry about the kit too much, that will inevitably sort itself out, and depends on your interests (I agree with the recommendations made so far, but they do assume 1/72 aircraft are your thing). In any case, the first kit will just serve to remind your hands of what the big idea was.

In my opinion, first order of business would be tools and supplies, and a decent supplier of both (sadly, you can't expect to buy these just about anywhere anymore). Dust off or replace the cutting mat, scalpel, files, brushes, cement, filler and paints, both the basic colours, and those common to your subject domain of choice. No matter what plastic, you're going nowhere without these. It's a bit like that archery saying: any old stick will do for a bow, but a heap of work goes into a good arrow. The kit may be the star of the show, but the humble, easily overlooked toolkit makes it happen.

My own preference for paint (and filler, for that matter) is still oldfashioned enamels; acrylics tend to be fussy about the surface they are applied to, and bare plastic isn't on their list of favourites. I cause myself enough trouble without having to worry about whether the paint will stick :roll: . Others, obviously, disagree, and the water based acrylics have next to no smell (alcohol based ones still stink, only differently from enamels), which can be a clear advantage for those sharing their homes with the non-obsessed. There is no non-stinking cement though :sad:

On the subject of kits, you are right about Tamiya kits, at least the ones developed in the past 20 years or so. The older ones were a cut above average for their day, but by current standards, they are becoming a bit dated at times. Also note that Tamiya rebox a number of Italeri kits, which, although quite decent in their own right, are not up to Tamiya's own standards. I should point out that new tool Airfix (like the kits mentioned earlier) is also extremely well engineered.

Could you throw us a hint about the subjects you're interested in? This might help in giving recommendations to suit your taste.
Springy67
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Springy67 »

Hey Iggie

What have you been searching for on the internet that your auto-correct changed doesn't to fishnet? :ha:

Cheers
Springy
Lee_k
starter kit

Post by Lee_k »

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.

Cars are my main things - and some of the bikes i've seen on here look amazing (although a little tricky!)

I can appreciated the tanks/Boats/planes etc too mind.

Another question - what do you do with your kits once there built and done?.... i cant see the wife letting me put them on the mantle piece!

Thanks
Lee
iggie

Post by iggie »

Springy67 wrote:Hey Iggie

What have you been searching for on the internet that your auto-correct changed doesn't to fishnet? :ha:

Cheers
Springy
It's my phone's feminine side coming out :-D :-D :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Try and get yourself a space in the house that's acceptable to your other half for displaying your models (it could well end up being the garage, mind). And then get yourself some cheap and simple shelving.

Dust is always an issue so if you can get an enclosed display cabinet even better.

Cars are some of the hardest kits to make - mainly because the paint finish required on a motor car usually needs to be to a higher standard compared to say a camouflaged tank or aeroplane. With that in mind, I don't think it's possible to get a high enough quality finish for a car by brush painting acrylics. Brush painting enamels gives you a better chance.

However, the only real way to get a good finish is by spray painting. Now, I'm not advocating that you dash out and spend a small fortune on airbrushes and compressors - yet. Initially, I would suggest that maybe you could look at using aerosol spray cans for painting the main bodywork of your cars. You can brush paint the finer detail.

Halfords do an extensive range of acrylic aerosol paints which are widely used by modellers. I use them a lot, especially their primer grey and white and their gloss white (I build rockets, which are often very white).
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Hi Lee

If you'd like to try your hand at building a motorcycle kit you can't go far wrong with Tamiya 1/12th scale kits. There's a wide range to choose from and they cost about £20+. Try eBay for bargains. Currently, cheaper subjects in the range seem to be the Honda CB750, Yamaha Virago and Suzuki Katana. They are at the older end the scale kit wise but still build up into nice finished models.

I don't build many cars myself but I am quite fond of the old Matchbox 1/32nd car kits. It rather depends on what sort of cars you like.

As for equipment, much of it has already been said. Flush cutting snips are useful as is a razor saw for removing delicate parts. Cement/glue is also an important choice. Superglue is handy but doesn't allow any time to check or reposition parts. If you can get some I highly recommend Mr Cement S or, failing that Tamiya thin liquid cement.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

A good question Lee and I see that you have received sound advice. I would add:

Don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask, no matter how bone headed you think the question might be - most of us have been there at some point or other and often well before the internet gave us access to great forums such as this!

To start with concentrate on getting the basics right, such as fettling parts and/or filling seam lines etc, preparing the surface for painting and then the painting itself - initially I would say don't concern yourself with superdetailing, scratch building, weathering or any of that stuff until you have a few models under your belt. Whatever type of paint you decide to use (I variously use acrylic and enamel paints), whether you ultimately decide to go down the brush painting or airbrushing route is down to you of course and there are strong advocates for each. Personally I found that I could only achieve the sort of paint finish that I was aiming for by using an airbrush and I use brushes only for detail or touch up work. I remain an admirer of any modeller who can achieve a great overall finish using a paint brush!

Once you are sure that the hobby is for you, don't buy the cheapest tools, including paint brushes, as to do so is usually a false economy.

Try to remember that this is supposed to be a relaxing hobby :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

If you're starting out on cars, I'd recommend getting spray cans for the car body and black for the underside and interior then, as others suggest, acrylic paints and brushes for the rest of it. The paint finish on the panelling needs to be good on a car and it's near impossible to achieve with a brush, especially for a beginner. Grab a can of primer, then the colour/s you want to use, then a sealing gloss coat from your local hobby shop.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

The Revell snap fit cars are really nice. Only auto kits I have successfully finished. Very well detailed. Also the Airfix McClaren P1 is worth it.

I am lucky to have a basement room. Plus a couple of small showcases purchased from stores going out of business. Maybe the wife would let you keep your latest creation in a place of honor.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

If you are going down the car route, watch out for some of the Airfix 1/32 kits, because Airfix has a habit of putting very old kits in shining new boxes that makes them look like new kits, for example their Aston Martin DB5 it's an absolute dog of a kit, yet some of their other cars are good classics that build well.

Before buying a kit, I normally type the name and scale of the kit followed by review into Google. you can guarantee someone has built it before and has posted good or bad comments.

Good luck and don't forget to post images on here so we can all see your progress.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Lee_k
starter kit

Post by Lee_k »

Well,

It was planned - im lucky enough to have a few really good model shops near me. So today I was going to go to one, get the tamiya skyline and then let the work start.

Then why we were out earlier we called into a garden centre that had a hobby craft - all air fix stuff in there so why i was there i did the shop! - Had the skyline in hand as planned, was a bit phased by the painting for a first one so brought this instead:

Lee_k
starter kit

Post by Lee_k »

I'll be making a start on this tonight - will start another thread if i can find the right section so you can track progress and advise me where i went wrong for the future!

If theres any common tips and tricks or mistakes people normally make when doing there first one out of the box then it'd be appreciated :) Hopefully make a start tonight.

Presume i cut the bits off and primer everything first? - Guessing primer drys quickly

Thanks
Lee

Return to “Small Talk”