What Haven't you built today...or any day??

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

What Haven't you built today...or any day??

Post by iggie »

looking at Syd's cracking Ninja motorcycle build over in the cars, motorcycles etc. bit it occurred to me that I have never built a model motorcycle before. And that got me wondering if there are any others out there with a gap in their modelling repertoire? And any reasons (other than lack of interest of course)?
I have broken several 'ducks' this year alone; first Sci-fi model (Bandai X-wing), first Japanese aircraft (enjoyed it so much I built a second straight after! :-D ) and I've just started my first ever German biplane....I've never built a glider (not even a space shuttle) either....
Any other gaps/first times out there?
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: What Haven't you built today...or any day??

Post by JamesPerrin »

I've an urge to do a sailing ship at some point but where it would live I have no idea.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Strangely enough I was on about this whilst at Huddersfield show on Sunday. Despite being a car and motorcycle enthusiast I've never got into modelling them apart from building the old Tamiya 1/35th military BMW R65 motorcycle and sidecar combination many moons ago. I've never completed a car model although I did start a couple way back when. Then again, I've yet to build an English Electric Lightning or a Vickers Wellington! There are gaps a plenty in my collection but I did build my very first model of a steam loco (Class 9F for the train spotters) for the CBK Telford display in 2015 and that was a very enjoyable project.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

I have not built a ship other than a smaller boat.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Larger scale figure modelling, above 1:32nd scale, is something I've yet to try. Also wildlife subjects.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
chrism

Post by chrism »

There are quite a few genres I have not ventured into too, but mostly because I haven't been inspired by available kits to want too.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Um... Anything outside 1/72 WWII Single Engine Fighters, some jets, two helicopters and a couple of 1/76 tanks - I've never even built a Twin (or at least finished one). I'm not really sure why - lack of insperation I guess.

I'd really like to have a go at auto modelling one day, I have done for a while - I just need to make the leap.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Because of my age I have built most things, the only thing I have not done is build a model totally from scratch.

I want to build a Fairmile A or B mine layer and think building from scratch might be my only option.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

I build models of subjects I'm interested in in real life - which chiefly means aircraft and real spacecraft and rockets. I don't just build models for the sake of building models.

So, on the whole, I rarely venture away from my core subjects of interest. HOWEVER, now and then I might do something different just for a change, such as a 1/72-1/76 AFV. The only sci-fi model I've ever built is the Orion space shuttle from "2001". And I made a T-Rex as well many years ago.
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

There's very little I haven't built a model of EVER, if you count the "when I were a lad" years as well as my last couple of "born again" decades. If you are only counting the more recent stint, then I haven't built a ship in that time (though I have a few in the stash beckoning me occasionally)... pretty much everything else, though...

best,
M.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Interesting responses!

I have another to add to the not now, not ever and that's a car! Unless you count the Airfix airborne jeep....
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

Whilst I may not have completed them all, I think I've made attempts at most genres of models.
I started the old Airfix HMS victory sailing ship, I built some MPC cars and trucks and even had a go at larger scale figures.
The only thing I've never tried are the dinosaurs and birds type kits. Although they say "Never say never", I can't really see myself giving them a go anytime soon.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
CameronForester
starter kit

Post by CameronForester »

I've never built anything large scale though I have a couple kits, just need the room. I've also never completed a biplane. The one cheap Roden kit I started I dropped while rigging and snapped the struts.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

The only things I can't think of an example of would be large civilian lorries and motorbikes. Railroad stuff is dubious; I only detailed a few railway carriages.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Can't think of any subject in the main stream I haven't tried over 50 years or so. The only Sword of Damocles I have hanging over me is vac-forms. I brought the Sangar 1/48 Beaufort many years ago. I have cut the parts out but have been terrified of the thing ever since - especially as you have to scratch build the entire cockpit interior - not so much as a seat is provided!
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1

Return to “Small Talk”