Transporting large models

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
RudiB
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Transporting large models

Post by RudiB »

Hello All,
I'm currently in the process of moving house and as such my current cave is no more and packed into boxes of various sizes :cry: . Anyway I was just wondering what the best way of packing up larger models, by large I mean 1:72 model aircraft, such as 3 V bombers and a Lockheed Constellation, I have managed to pack up all the smaller models as I have access to foam packing so have padded some large boxes out and made a padded cell for each model but the larger ones have defeated me in size as I cant seem to find a sturdy cardboard box wide enough. Any suggestions?
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Transporting large models

Post by Dazzled »

For transport to shows I use underbed storage boxes, available in a number of sizes, with a layer of polystyrene insulation sheet in the bottom. The models are placed inside and prevented from moving around using cocktail sticks. Currently the largest models I move are a 1/48th Lockheed TR.1 and a 1/72nd Tu-22M Backfire.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

Here's an interesting solution by a guy over on the ATF forum.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I was going to suggest the vertical packing, but that thread has everything covered.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

Hi,

I have used exactly the same method as Dazzled in the past and it works well. Watch out for tail heights if you want to put the lids on. My 1/72 B-29 fit ok but I had to look for something else to put my 1/72 B-1B in.

All the best.

Stu :)
Old fashioned paint brush user.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I like the cocktail stick approach for ships, cars, military stuff -- cut-down kebab skewers for larger ones.
As I found out one year, they don't protect aircraft landing gear if a sharp bump is hit.
Depending on how "clean" the underside is, foam can be used to support the aircraft and keep the gear off.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
chrism

Post by chrism »

Not being an aircraft fan, I do not suffer the same as some of you, but I do build tall rigged ships, and they cab be far worse, and I have to look out for large boxes and turn them on the side so as not to lower model into box, but "push" it in as it were. Then I use polystyrene and other lightweight material to pack around the lower hull to stop it slipping, if model is fixed on a base, but if it is removable I bed the hull into a bed of small polystyrene chips or split peas.

With armour and other items, I line any boxes (usually use the plastic "really useful company" plastic ones) I use with non-slip matting bought in rolls and cut to fit. Various brands of the non slip stuff are available but I use Drapers and it is a quality matting and I have not had any issues with it, and tanks and vehicles grip it well.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
RudiB
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by RudiB »

Migrant wrote:Here's an interesting solution by a guy over on the ATF forum.
That's some seriously good packing ideas on that thread, and some great suggestions to play with, thanks all. I'll have all look through all the empty boxes to see if I have any large enough for the suggestions.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Migrant wrote:Here's an interesting solution by a guy over on the ATF forum.

Some nice ideas there. I'll certainly be having a look at copying some of them especially for the B-36 :roll:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!

Return to “Small Talk”