Dumbest mistake?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Stamford
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Dumbest mistake?

Post by Stamford »

I´ve reverse masked a canopy but caught myself before painting. Looking forward to seeing the Typhoon in a year or two.
running at the edge of their world
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

What's my dumbest mistake? Thinking that I could be a model maker......
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Zee28 wrote:What's my dumbest mistake? Thinking that I could be a model maker......
Model Making 101 for some of us!! :lol:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Neil Wellman
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Neil Wellman »

I once stuck the wings of a WW2 fighter (probably a Spitfire) on back to front... mind you, this was c 1958 and I was only about 7 at the time ;-)

I recall getting into real trouble with my Mum as she'd allowed me to get a kit from our local newsagent 'on the slate' for my primary school's Friday afternoon play session. However, I felt the 1/72 kits were far too small so went for a nice big one (perhaps Monogram 1/48th scale?). I still remember that it was a blue plastic and by the time I finished both it and I were covered in poly-cement.
Neil Wellman
arni

Post by arni »

I never moke mistekeas cos I am prfekt :ha:
vacant

Post by vacant »

In these days of fake news, I have to say that I don't do 'dumb mistakes'. I do 'alternative builds'.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

That is really funny. :lol:
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
billyb_imp
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by billyb_imp »

On my current build of the Hawker Typhoon, I have managed to thin the grey primer down with airbrush cleaner instead of thinners, after several coats i saw what I was doing and decided to do a correct mix and put several more coats on. Its taken an age to dry but looks ok.

When I say current build it's still my only build (or first in 50 years), so another one put down to experience, or rather the lack of it.
A start on my first kit a Hawker Hurricane as been made, a spitfire awaits in the wings and thinking about models to come.

Modelling space in shed coming along nicely.
carlos
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by carlos »

Neil Wellman wrote:I once stuck the wings of a WW2 fighter (probably a Spitfire) on back to front... mind you, this was c 1958 and I was only about 7 at the time ;-)
If we're talking about silly things we did as a child....
My first model kit - I would also have been around 7, though this would have been approx 1970-ish
I got the Airfix Hampden among my Christmas prezzies, and my dad promised to build it with me on boxing-day - Boxing day morning I was awake a good couple of hours before my parents, couldn't wait, so tip-toed downstairs and started to glue the Hampden together. I got most of it together OK, managed to build the tail sub-assembly no problem, but then it wouldn't stay in place when I glued it to the rear of the fuselage (loose fit).
At that age I figured that more glue = more sticky..... And within minutes I'd pretty much dissolved the rear end of the fuselage.
After a bit of a telling-off, my dad did manage to eventually rescue the Hampden by rebuilding it with filler.
Hampdens were in black plastic at the time, and I probably had the only one that was black, with a white fuselage band just in front of the tail :mrgreen:
Currently on bench: ICM 1/72 Tupolev Tu-2
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

The stuff I did as a kid weren't usually mistakes they were deliberately half a**ing it so I could play with the model sooner. Things like cutting out the decals and glue them on back paper and all, not using the missile and bomb pylons and just gluing the armament straight on.

As an adult mistakes usually come about because I am distracted by thoughts or something else and I am just not concentrating. A few years back I was building a Fujimi Spitfire PR version, these kits have the cowlings in a different section due to all the versions Fujimi put out. Anyway, I glued the two halves the wrong way around and they didn't fit. It didn't occur to me I had it wrong as I bought the kit second hand I thought perhaps the wrong pieces were included. I was about to contact the guy when I noticed my error.

Return to “Small Talk”