Dumbest mistake?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Re: Dumbest mistake?

Post by Purplethistle »

Purplethistle wrote:
Kitaholic wrote:Used to have a formica table to work on. Knocked over a full bottle of Plastic Weld and instantly glued the cutting mat and everything plastic (including a drinks glass) to it.
You should have fixed the table onto your ceiling to mess with the heads of any visitors. :ha:
......or call it 'An Installation' and enter it into the Turner Prize, again upside down on the ceiling, with a title like ''Up in the Air......fix' :ha:
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
vacant
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by vacant »

Stupid mistakes .... hard to know where to start. A common thread that links them is that I did not follow the instructions but since I rarely do, the list is quite extensive.
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Yep, landing gear in the wrong bays, knocked out side windows after the fuselage has been buttoned up, used the wrong rattlecan color when I should have used flat clear to seal the work I did, engine fans left out too. Watched nearly finished assemblies gently slither through my hands and partially detonate on contact with the floor, decals put on backwards or upside down (next time google images of insignia before ham-fistedly doing them in utter ignorance of the known facts). And Mike you are so right, this was a more sane pastime when it was one kit at a time.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

My list would be far to long, and of too high a standard to admit to any of them.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I've done most of the errors already mentioned, stuff on the wrong way, glazing knocked out, interior parts and nose weight missed out and not noticed until the fuselage has been cemented together etc etc :roll: I also agree regarding the amassing of a stash and that is perhaps my biggest and most expensive mistake and one that, if I had my modelling time again, I would not repeat - build one buy one would be my mantra!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
celt

Post by celt »

Dumbest mistake,cutting etch metal and not wearing goggles,result trip to casualty to remove said etch from eye. :cry: No more etch for me.
iggie

Post by iggie »

celt wrote:Dumbest mistake,cutting etch metal and not wearing goggles,result trip to casualty to remove said etch from eye. :cry: No more etch for me.
Ouch! :shock:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
celt

Post by celt »

iggie wrote:
celt wrote:Dumbest mistake,cutting etch metal and not wearing goggles,result trip to casualty to remove said etch from eye. :cry: No more etch for me.
The worst part was when asked how the metal got in my eye,you could hear the nurses laughing all along the corridor. :sad:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

celt wrote:
iggie wrote:
The worst part was when asked how the metal got in my eye,you could hear the nurses laughing all along the corridor. :sad:
That sounds very unprofessional!.
(Plus ouch!, I second Iggie on that one!)
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

At least there's an advantage in having to wear glasses....it keeps the photo-etch out of you eyes. ;-)

Of course, you could always back the photo-etch sheet with household masking tape so parts don't ping off when you cut them. :)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

I'll admit to this one. But only because I've shown you it before.
Revell 1/12 GT500.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Ouch!
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Too many to list them all, maybe taking up this hobby in the first place? :grin: Only kidding with that one but knocking over an open bottle of MEK and it spilling onto my lap counts pretty high up. Yes it DID sting like hell in 'THAT' area :oops: . Stupid on two counts, leaving the bottle of that rather volatile and noxious stuff open on the workbench, and having it so close to me when open in the first place.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

I spent the last evening painting the canopy to my Whirlwind. Used the old toothpick method and was quite pleased after a few concentrated sessions. Returning the two pieces to their little plastic bag I discovered another two pieces which rather confused me. I wasted a couple of hours painting my P47 canopy in RAF Camo. :oops: Have I won?
running at the edge of their world
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

I sprayed a 1/48 CH-53E canopy and was rewarded with crystal clear frames. The glazed panels were beautifully camouflaged. And I knew I was doing it… I just knew, in the back of my mind, but kept at it anyway. It was Sunday morning stupidity. The effect was not entirely unattractive on a £60+ kit…

(Did the same thing on a 1/48 He-219 as well. Wasn't anything like as pretty)

Edited to add: Dumbest mistake ever was unboxing a Revell 1/48 Eurofighter Typhoon and imagining even for a moment that the intake section could be done with no filler.

That ended very poorly. But it does make a really nice model, eventually. Mine is almost ready for decals, five years after it was started.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?

Return to “Small Talk”