Revell colour instructions

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: Revell colour instructions

Post by splash »

Cheers Springy here is a link to the train build http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=366&t=15095
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

To be fair, I forgot about the new Revell instructions being colour coded; it does make it easier than the old ones to tell which colour you need....but still not as easy as using the paint number!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I tend to look for equivalents anyway. Experience has taught me to treat kit painting instructions with caution.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

I feel your pain Dazzled mate. I dislike almost everything about Revell kits with a passion.

The flimsy end opening boxes, the confusingly drawn assembly instructions, the decals as thick as shoe leather and, as your rightly point out, the terrible painting guides.

Mix 20% of this with 70% of that and 10% of the other just to get a colour that you can probably buy off the shelf from any other paint manufacturer on the planet. Infuriating.

Even if Revell is the only way I can obtain a subject that really I want, I still avoid them.....

Zee28
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Zee28 wrote:I feel your pain Dazzled mate. I dislike almost everything about Revell kits with a passion.

The flimsy end opening boxes, the confusingly drawn assembly instructions, the decals as thick as shoe leather and, as your rightly point out, the terrible painting guides.

Mix 20% of this with 70% of that and 10% of the other just to get a colour that you can probably buy off the shelf from any other paint manufacturer on the planet. Infuriating.

Even if Revell is the only way I can obtain a subject that really I want, I still avoid them.....

Zee28
Can agree with that but I don't have a problem with Revell build wise. Both my Corsar's in that GB were Revell's. The mix x% of this etc is annoying to be sure.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
chrism

Post by chrism »

Revell do some nice kits, and I for one am willing to build them, and infact am just starting a long quest with their ship Vasa from the age of sail. I personally do not let the paint suggestions and mixing percentages bother me. I use what I want and paint how I want, and substitute for something from Humbrol or ANO supplier
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

MarkyM607 wrote:
Zee28 wrote:I feel your pain Dazzled mate. I dislike almost everything about Revell kits with a passion.

Zee28
Can agree with that but I don't have a problem with Revell build wise. Both my Corsar's in that GB were Revell's. The mix x% of this etc is annoying to be sure.
Sorry Marky, I should have been more clear and not ranted. There is nothing wrong with the kits themselves, often quite nice, it's the 'Baggage' that goes with them that I find annoying. It might just be bad luck but I have some very poor decals from Revell, very thick and not responding to setting solutions, but they may have been isolated incidents. Plus they used to have confusing looking instructions (they may have improved their clarity now).

But there's no escaping the flimsy boxes, too easily crushed!

But I really do like the older ones, the small top opening boxes from the old days, like these:

Maybe I just like old stuff generally.... :oops:
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

Personally I always take the painting instructions, from all kit manufacturers, with a hefty fistful of salt. Unless the kit subject is something that I simply can't research for myself, I will usually disregard anything the instructions say. The older the kit is, the less trustworthy the instructions will be, in my experience (and the same goes for the supplied decals). Newer kits tend to have much better decal sheets, and the painting instructions are often similarly better, but I would still try and double-check with other references where I can.

That being said, even the newer Revell releases, which typically have very nice decal sheets, have painting instructions that just seem "murky" to me, and that's before you run into the incredibly vexing "just mix the paints we tell you to mix, you don't need to know what the actual colour is supposed to be" attitude that they exhibit. I would much prefer that they simply describe the colour (or better yet, name it, where an official name is known) and then they can suggest what Revell-brand paints you can use to get there.

Still, at least they're better than (say) Dragon, where the assembly instructions typically assume that you already know how to build the kit, so you don't really need to know what part goes where; and then they just make up the painting instructions and marking schemes to sort-of represent something that they saw in a book, somewhere. And I think Trumpeter and Hobby Boss might even be worse still! (In these cases I'm specifically thinking of the AFV kits from these manufacturers.)
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Zee28 wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:

Zee28
Sorry Marky, I should have been more clear and not ranted. There is nothing wrong with the kits themselves, often quite nice, it's the 'Baggage' that goes with them that I find annoying. It might just be bad luck but I have some very poor decals from Revell, very thick and not responding to setting solutions, but they may have been isolated incidents. Plus they used to have confusing looking instructions (they may have improved their clarity now).

But there's no escaping the flimsy boxes, too easily crushed!

But I really do like the older ones, the small top opening boxes from the old days, like these:

Maybe I just like old stuff generally.... :oops:
Fair enough matey!. Not meaning to criticise you myself. I do hate end opening boxes though. For a start you have no ready made tray to keep the sprues in!!. :grin:
Plus it's good to rant now and then! :lol:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.

Return to “Small Talk”