Revell colour instructions

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Revell colour instructions

Post by splash »

I don't want to sound like I'm having a pop at Revell because I really enjoy building some of their latter kits, but why do the ruin good kits by producing terrible colour instructions?

I'm currently building their HO scale BR230 East German diesel locomotive and apart from the terrible colour instructions I find it an excellent kit, especially when you realise you get to kits in the same box and options for four versions in different colour schemes.

The one colour scheme that stands out is the more modern looking RTS in its bright orange silver and grey colours. In the instructions you only get black and white drawings and on the box lid there are two artists impression of the other versions and one small photo of the RTS version.

Now comes the problem the black and white instructions are totally wrong they tell you to paint the sides in orange and light grey and the roof in silver someone has mixed the silver and greys up it should be orange and silver with grey on top.

I'm thinking of do the other engine in the State Railways Colours but the instructions say the main colours are quote " 34% Fiery Red, silky-Matt + 66% Purple Red, silky-Matt" in 18 different languages.

If Revell are going to use such odd colour references can they not either do like Airfix and give us a colour guide in colour or if as i suspect these odd named colours are Revell paint colours then give us a Revell paint patch sheet, like the ones Dulux do when you by funny named paint for you house.

My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Revell colour instructions

Post by ShaunW »

I'm a fan of the Blue Team and have been for a number of years but I fully agree Splash, their painting guides are often an absolute nightmare. Whilst the issue doesn't put me off buying Revell kits it is vexing nevertheless. A lot of Revell kits are excellent and offer great value for money - plus they have saved many old Matchbox kits for which I am eternally grateful!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

My thoughts exactly.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Revell colour numbers are right there in the instructions Alan, the first line of each one has the name in German, and then the Revell paint colour. You can download the paint charts directly from Revell site - for some reason enamels are Email, and the acrylics are Aqua - the numbers are the same for either range although there may be some emails with Aqua equivalents yet - obviously the enamels have been around a lot longer than the acrylics.
Here's the enamel chart:
https://www.revell.de/uploads/tx_eagle/ ... _EN_01.pdf;

I'm really enjoying you build of the locos and have added that kit to my wants list. I'd love to do an open door, engine swap diorama at the very least.

Cheers
Al
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

I have to admit with Revell kits, I look what the original colours on the subject are meant to be and then look at colour comparison charts to see what the Tamiya/ humbrol equivalents are- as you don't normally have to mix these.

That being said, I really like the quality of Revell paint, I just wish they didn't do so many strange shades.
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

I tend to agree with Alan, with regard to the frequent errors in Revell instructions; the Albatros I recently completed shows light blue on the box art for struts, yet the instructions say wood....

Also, why oh why oh why can't they use paint numbers for colour call outs, instead of each kit using letters, which mean different colours on different kits? With Airfix, a Spitfire cockpit has 78 noted against most of the parts; I don't need to keep looking at the front of the instructions to find out what 78 is, it's the same number on the lid of the pot I need
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

beany wrote:Revell colour numbers are right there in the instructions Alan, the first line of each one has the name in German, and then the Revell paint colour. You can download the paint charts directly from Revell site - for some reason enamels are Email, and the acrylics are Aqua - the numbers are the same for either range although there may be some emails with Aqua equivalents yet - obviously the enamels have been around a lot longer than the acrylics.
Here's the enamel chart:
https://www.revell.de/uploads/tx_eagle/ ... _EN_01.pdf;

I'm really enjoying you build of the locos and have added that kit to my wants list. I'd love to do an open door, engine swap diorama at the very least.

Cheers
Al
Thanks Al for the link to their colour chart, even that can be confusing as the kit plans gives two or three digit codes and their own chart uses five digit codes.

The good thing is thier colour chart has the same names for the colours.

Having just found a pot of Revell paint in my paint draw I see that on the lid Revell put the full five digit code but the first two or three digits are in a small font and the last two or three are in large bold font, so I suspect the first part of the code is the paint type and the last digit the colour.

I have now sprayed the side panels and I'm happy with how it's turning out.

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

beany wrote:I'm really enjoying you build of the locos and have added that kit to my wants list. I'd love to do an open door, engine swap diorama at the very least.

Cheers
Al
Cheers Al

This kit really lends itself to what you have suggested, with the two kit in the box you could build both and blank out the windows on one and use the engine for the diorama you have suggested with one engine coming out and the other ready to go in.
chrism

Post by chrism »

the first couple numbers on the paint colours are a clue to whether it is matt, silk or gloss...
it is only ever the final 3 that really matter... and after a while you tend to remember them (I do) ... 8 is always matt black; 301 silk white, 68 dark green, 65 bronze green, 1 and 2 are varnishes etc etc
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Whilst we are on the subject of Revell paints, despite the annoying mixing instructions and what have you at least I have found the actual paints, both enamel and acrylic, to be excellent through the airbrush so no complaints there from me.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Cheers Chris, that makes sense.

I think it might just be me, because I tend to use Tamiya paints I find it easy just using the colour on the jar lid and the colour of the paint that you can see through the glass bottles.

I'm not the type who gets hung up on colours and just use what looks right. I do like Airfix new trend to add colour pictures to their instructions.

I must give Revell paints a try.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

splash wrote:I must give Revell paints a try.
Good luck. Maybe this year's formula is usable. It will almost certainly be incompatible with last year's and next year's though :evil:

I've never had any sort of luck with any of their non-plastic products, and even those are very far from my favourites. Their best kits are repops from some other brand with spectacular decal sheets :roll:

But regardng the colour callouts, there's probably not much else they can do. It's very rare for any of their kits not to have at least one coulor that needs mixing, and those cannot be referred to by number. For sake of consistency, this gives them little choice but to use letters and a translation table. A proper full colour view would be very helpful though, but not very practical on the paper quality they insist on using. The back of the box is, quite naturally, reserved for the marketing department; vastly more important than customers :evil:
chrism

Post by chrism »

The newer Revell kits come with full colour instruction booklets throughout. I have had a couple of tanks and a ship which have them in this new and very easy to read format. I haven't got one of them here with me tonight, to take a photo or two of pages to show, but I will include a link to a posting which a friend/colleague of mine made over on the Revell forum, and thus placed a full set of instructions for a kit there, in the new format. The new full colour setup is far easier than the old black/white format of old.

http://s13.zetaboards.com/RevellAtions/topic/9030140/1/;
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Cheers Chris

Those instructions look like a vast improvement.
Springy67
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Springy67 »

Chrism

That Revell P70 Nighthawk looks like a nice kit.

Splash

I hadn't seen your builds of these locos before. You are doing a fantastic job. I've never built a train before but yours look really good.

Cheers
Springy

Return to “Small Talk”