Heller Kits

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
BWP
Got in under the wire

Re: Heller Kits

Post by BWP »

I echo most of what's been said above. When I was young, Heller kits weren't available in the shops in my home town, but they were available in Sydney which I could visit on a semi-regular basis. I was always attracted by the range of aircraft kits that they made that no other manufacturer seemed interested in touching (in that respect, they were a bit like Matchbox). Even today some of their subjects are not yet represented by more modern kits.

A couple of years back the company engaged in a revival of sorts, with bright new packaging and the talk of some brand-new kits. Unfortunately I think we're still waiting for most of those new kits, although they did manage to produce a couple of new M4 Sherman kits in 1/72 that are quite superb. The company seems to be struggling again now and lack any decent overseas distribution, so you just don't see them in hobby shops (except in France, I suppose). Fortunately you can order directly from their website, and many of their older kits are still easily obtainable second-hand.
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by rob_van_riel »

BWP wrote:Fortunately you can order directly from their website, and many of their older kits are still easily obtainable second-hand.
I hadn't been at that site for a long while, but took a peek just now. They have their own range of paints again, acrylics this time. At 1.25 Euro for 12ml, they are seriously cheap. Numbering appears to match Humbrol. Might be worth investigating.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Check this work in progress, if you haven't already: http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14940;
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

I've always liked Heller kits. Their output in the late 1970s and early 1980s was of very good quality for the time.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

I've build a few, usually okay. My most recent one is the Mirage IV. Can't remember the decals being off but the plastic is a slightly funny material, seems a strange feel to it but works okay and came out very nice.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

I have built their 1/72 Fieseler Fi.103 Reichenberg and Bachem Ba 349A Natter, two 1/72 BAe Harrier T.4s, a reboxed Airfix 1:24 North American P-51D Mustang and Luftwaffe Personnel (reboxed Airfix figures)
I also have in the stash their 1/72 Heinkel He 112 BO/B1, Messerschmitt Bf 109F-4 and Willys Jeep & Trailer
Some of their subjects are quite unique, but I've never been enamoured by their kits, which feel pretty dated and sixties in design :roll:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Their 60s kits are not great. But from the mid 70s era they produced some excellent mouldings. The He112, Natter and 163 are very nice models. The 109F isn't great but their 109D is lovely.

When they were owned by Humbrol, quite a few of their models appeared in Airfix boxes - such as the Hawker Tempest and the DH89 Dragon Rapide - which are both very nice.

Stamford

Post by Stamford »

A recent discovery for me I find them very enjoyable builds. http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t ... ras#p82010;
To me they are very Airfixy with rivits and limited interiors but they are fun to play with.
running at the edge of their world
bassman
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by bassman »

Maybe good to know is that the 1980 Airfix Lancaster was tooled by Heller. The Lancaster was however never available in the Heller range.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

bassman wrote:Maybe good to know is that the 1980 Airfix Lancaster was tooled by Heller. The Lancaster was however never available in the Heller range.
That explains the Hellerishness of the sprues then. Something similar happened with their MiG-29 and Su-27 kits; clearly Heller toolings, but the single seaters sold by Airfix were never in the Heller catalog, while the 2-seaters were only sold by Heller.
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

I'm a bit of a Heller fan myself, they always seemed to do subjects that no one else did and excelled at French subjects.
Maybe it's time for another Heller GB?
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Old_Tonto wrote:I'm a bit of a Heller fan myself, they always seemed to do subjects that no one else did and excelled at French subjects.
Maybe it's time for another Heller GB?
A Heller GB sounds good to me.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

I have a Heller "Bobcat" kit hanging fire. The Super Puma.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

I have that same super puma kit part built. It goes together quite well but the interior is a bit basic.

All the brst

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Google the history of the real airframe. Very sad.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale

Return to “Small Talk”