Boys will be boys.....

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
jamesaw
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Boys will be boys.....

Post by jamesaw »

splash wrote:Now here is the quandary the canoe came with two men paddling the canoe and the two men described plus a ladder, did Airfix designed them to carry the canoe or the ladder?
Not such a quandary as you may think Splash. The fact is, the canoe leaked or turned turtle if left to its own devices, so in order to maintain credibility with the opposition, it was actually being held above the water by the two men walking on the bottom with hands above their heads holding their breath. From the side, it would just appear as though the two paddlers were going about their usually nefarious business. Naturally this was only a viable option in water about 6 feet deep or so. The ladders had their own industrious soldiers or Marines to climb them (but then again, they could have been placed under the canoe to help stabilize it).
iggie

Post by iggie »

jamesaw wrote:
splash wrote:Now here is the quandary the canoe came with two men paddling the canoe and the two men described plus a ladder, did Airfix designed them to carry the canoe or the ladder?
Not such a quandary as you may think Splash. The fact is, the canoe leaked or turned turtle if left to its own devices, so in order to maintain credibility with the opposition, it was actually being held above the water by the two men walking on the bottom with hands above their heads holding their breath. From the side, it would just appear as though the two paddlers were going about their usually nefarious business. Naturally this was only a viable option in water about 6 feet deep or so. The ladders had their own industrious soldiers or Marines to climb them (but then again, they could have been placed under the canoe to help stabilize it).
I think you'll find that the occupants of the canoes were in fact dummies, with tube running from their mouths down to the two men walking underwater :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

iggie wrote:
jamesaw wrote:
I think you'll find that the occupants of the canoes were in fact dummies, with tube running from their mouths down to the two men walking underwater :-D
:roll: I'm coming to suspect from these suggestions that you chaps hold Management positions!
The whole box is a parcel of conundrums -
Mission -You have 20-odd Commandos to get ashore and only 2 unstable canoes and 2 ladders.
Solution - Lash the 2 canoes to the ends of the ladders to fashion a more stable catamaran. The catamaran can then accommodate 4 Commandos with the rest holding onto the ladders whilst their gear sits nice and dry atop the ladders. - Simples!
Right! That's me through the initiative test stage :-D see you chaps on the Assault Course.
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
Kevan Bailey
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten
Location: Kirkby la Thorpe, Lincolnshire or Plomari, Lesvos, depending.

Post by Kevan Bailey »

jRatz wrote:Y'all aren't contagious are you ? :)
Aren't you Carolinians meant to say All y'all when you 're talking about you in the plural or is that just Virginians?

Anyway, PT, feel free to start your mission at any time. US Cavalry will be waiting along with the carrier pigeon bloke from WW1 French Infantry as back-up. Always a personal favourite, that fella.
Kevan Bailey
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Yes, but only amongst ourselves, it's a stretch for others :)
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Muttzley

Post by Muttzley »

Remember seeing some large figures similar to the Airfix ones years ago, (about 8" high), but no idea who made them.
Kevan Bailey
Location: Kirkby la Thorpe, Lincolnshire or Plomari, Lesvos, depending.

Post by Kevan Bailey »

Oh yes, I remember those, too. I have equally no idea.
Kevan Bailey
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

I quite liked the 8th Army Vickers gun, operator and loader myself. Also, the lying down chap with the Bren gun.

Always liked the Bren; had presence. Seen "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels"?
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

jRatz wrote:Y'all aren't contagious are you ? :)
Lol.

I hope they are. That sounds like more fun with models than I have had in decades. :)
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

The R.A.F. Personnel 'Erks' whose tennis doubles partners haven't shown up but they are gamely playing the match anyway using both racquets...........makes you proud to be British!
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

Purplethistle wrote:The R.A.F. Personnel 'Erks' whose tennis doubles partners haven't shown up but they are gamely playing the match anyway using both racquets...........makes you proud to be British!
....come to think of it! If I modify the tennis racquets to nets, these Erks, in heavily converted bipes, could lead my 'Comms suppression' by catching Kevans carrier pigeons. 'Breeeep whaaaow schwup ding!' :-D

Return to “Small Talk”