Boys will be boys.....

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Boys will be boys.....

Post by Purplethistle »

Inspired by Kevan Baileys Blue tits story on never built types of kits in Small Talk, I was reminded of how when I was about 7, my big sister used to try and lead me away from warplanes and tanks by buying me airliner kits and other civil stuff ( fair play to her, they weren’t even birthday or Christmas presents, but bought whenever she went on weekends away). One time she bought me the Airfix Zoo set. At first she was pleased at my overjoyed reaction as I rushed to paint the lions and tigers and bears etc. Her satisfaction at curbing my typical boy bloodthirsty games was diminished somewhat later on as she overheard the narrative of the scenario that I was acting out. The Good Guy British Paratroops had been captured by the Bad Guy SS and marched to the Zoo where the Bad Guy leader was saying “Until you tell me your plans I will throw one prisoner to the lions, then one to the tigers……” etc. If she hadn’t done that big Sister type tutting and sighing and leaving the room thing, she would have discovered that this was merely ‘Plot development’ to establish that the SS leader was indeed a ‘Bad ‘un’ and thoroughly deserving of his fate. (In the nick of time, the Zoo fence was knocked down by a bomb dropping diecast Corsair which strafed the SS goons before Thunderbird 2 which had just unloaded a matchstick firing cannon, swooped in to rescue the beleaguered Paras before the Bad Guy could carry out his threat. The aforementioned Bad Guy and his brutal Feldwebel are the only SS survivors who manage to hide in the kiosk until the rescue is over, but upon leaving the kiosk they are eaten by the now free lions )
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Boys will be boys.....

Post by iggie »

Excellent! :-D
'A Zoo too far' perhaps? :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Haha that's an awesome scenario!
I wish I could have thought of things like that when I was younger.
Kevan Bailey
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten
Location: Kirkby la Thorpe, Lincolnshire or Plomari, Lesvos, depending.

Post by Kevan Bailey »

Who did you use for the SS Bad Guys, PT? The Airfix Germans were a pathetic bunch; honestly, one of them was carrying a cross, can you believe it? The Paratroopers were really big guys in comparison, but why were some of them shooting upwards? I could never work that out. And why was one writhing about on the ground? Answers on a postcard, please; a postal order to the value of 2/6d for the best answer. Please state your name, age and address; don't forget to ask your parents for permission.
Kevan Bailey
jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

Oh the irony of it all-the evil SS victims of their own dire threats!
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

Kevan Bailey wrote:Who did you use for the SS Bad Guys, PT? The Airfix Germans were a pathetic bunch; honestly, one of them was carrying a cross, can you believe it? The Paratroopers were really big guys in comparison, but why were some of them shooting upwards? I could never work that out. And why was one writhing about on the ground? Answers on a postcard, please; a postal order to the value of 2/6d for the best answer. Please state your name, age and address; don't forget to ask your parents for permission.
It was the German Infantry, both them and the Paras were from the Gun emplacement set that I was given after getting my tonsils out. They were pretty weedy weren't they? I put their nasty temperament down to 'Short man syndrome'
As for the Paras who were shooting into the air, they were the guys I tasked with taking out guards in towers. The guy writhing on the ground in my set had what I now realise was a sink hole in his stomach, at the time I thought it was a bullet wound!
Kevan Bailey

Post by Kevan Bailey »

Sounds like you're the sort of fellow who'd be up for a game of Airfix Figure Charades, PT. Got to warn you, though, that I nearly always win with the scooter-rider from the Civilians set.
Kevan Bailey
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

Kevan Bailey wrote:Sounds like you're the sort of fellow who'd be up for a game of Airfix Figure Charades, PT. Got to warn you, though, that I nearly always win with the scooter-rider from the Civilians set.
Ah! but are you holding the pose without the scooter? :-D Ok Kev, I'll see your 'Scooter rider' and raise you 'British Para doing standing arms spread toe touches during the battle' :ha:
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Ah para with Shute or taking items out of a supply canister.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

OK we are British, there are two of us holding our arms above our heads what are we carrying?
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

splash wrote:OK we are British, there are two of us holding our arms above our heads what are we carrying?
Commandos carrying a canoe?
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Now here is the quandary the canoe came with two men paddling the canoe and the two men described plus a ladder, did Airfix designed them to carry the canoe or the ladder?
Kevan Bailey

Post by Kevan Bailey »

Another sleepless night, now. Why must you raise old ghosts, Splash?

The Commandos were rubbish anyway, with those stupid little hats. And the canoe always capsized. US Cavalry were the best.
Kevan Bailey
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Y'all aren't contagious are you ? :)
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

jRatz wrote:Y'all aren't contagious are you ? :)
:ha: Whatever do you mean? :-D

Anyway, as a young lad, one of my favourite figures was the 8th Army Desert Rat advancing on the Afrika Korps wielding that most fearsome of weapons........a cow pat on the end of a big stick! :-D

Return to “Small Talk”