Mav's bargain hunt comes to a quick sharp end!

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
IronMan129
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Mav's bargain hunt comes to a quick sharp end!

Post by IronMan129 »

After over a year of hard bargain hunting I came to the realisation that the bargain hunt I've been having needs to stop so for the next few years at least I cannot afford to buy anymore new kits (bar the deals that have already been made).
This has really knocked me for six as I was desperate to get gold of a B-36 but I guess that will never happen now :/.
Sorry if this isn't of interest to anyone I just needed to vent.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Mav's bargain hunt comes to a quick sharp end!

Post by ShaunW »

Alas, as with many hobbies, it always comes down to the money Adam and modelling has to take its place among life's other financial demands. Depending on the modeller's approach/tastes/interests or what have you the hobby can be quite cheap and cheerful or damned expensive. Kits can stay available for yonks, either new or second hand, so I wouldn't fret too much - chances are you will be able to buy your B-36 in a few year's time if the desire is still there. I feel your frustration though!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Been there mate. It doesn't get better though. Just when you think you're getting ahead the little sods move out and expect you to furnish their new places :evil:

Just thought I'd cheer you up ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
iggie

Post by iggie »

Dazzled wrote:Been there mate. It doesn't get better though. Just when you think you're getting ahead the little sods move out and expect you to furnish their new places :evil:

Just thought I'd cheer you up ;-)
But even that comes to an end (eventually), and all things being equal you'll have some spare cash in the future to achieve your ambitions to build the B36.
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
chrism

Post by chrism »

This is one of the alternative "facts of life" in a way. Life moves on for everyone, and over a few years our priorities and values change.

While you are a carefree young single man, living at home, with little outgoings you have more money to waste/squander/spend as you will; then when you leave home you need money for furniture and utilities, and other things in life (so your priorities and values for the money change), now you are a father you have another priority for your money.

This is natural ..... and is nothing to be upset about at all.

Modelling will still be available to you in few years time once you have expendible cash again. A lot of us now in our 50's gave up or put modelling on hold for years while we had families and/or did other things in life, and then as we got older, we came back to it.

You have a lot of opportunities and experiences ahead of you both as a father and a family - opportunities to go to museums, castles, adventure parks - bonding and learning and growing and being a good team player as a father. Sod the modelling if you have too son - leave it alone for a few years - it will still be there to come back too, and you might well find that in the intervening years some of the things you always want to build now and own as kits, get retooled and come out better than before, so don't waste money on models to put up in the loft now to possibly build in 10-15 year time.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Hi Adam. All the above is so true. I was lucky enough that when my first children were born I had a very well paid job so the money wasn't an issue but time was. You sound like both will be a problem but remember that you have a reasonably healthy stash of kits that will keep you going for some time yet.
I too have been at the other end of the scale where I have had a low income. Al I did was put a couple of quid in a pot each week and the more patient I was the bigger/better kit I could afford. Also remember, bargains will always happen. Though the aforementioned B36 will probably never come cheap.

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Thanks for all your advice folks.
The reason why I'm so frustrated is old personal issues have resurfaced and now I can't afford it someone offered me a Monogram B-52 and a started B-36 for £35 the pair and I had to turn them both down!
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

On reflection im feeling alot better about it all now.
I have certain issues that I'm working on but at the end of the day I have my little family which is the most amazing gift a man could ask for and a shed load of kits in the stash that may possibly take me the next 30 odd years to complete.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Family time will stretch out that 30 years too ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!

Return to “Small Talk”