Building old toolings versus "modern" toolings- why so?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: Building old toolings versus "modern" toolings- why so?

Post by Stuart »

Sir T wrote:
CementNotGlue wrote:
Sir T wrote: I also think there's no such thing as a 'kit not worth building'.
Really?

I can think of some atrocious kits the designer/toolmaker must have knocked-up in the last working hours of a Friday.

I'd include Airfix's Me 262, Defiant and Matchbox's Hawker Hunter for starters.

Modern trends I don't like are no pilots and lack of locating holes by some manufacturers.
Yes really.

I have the old tool Defiant and the MB Hunter in the stash (actually I've started the Hunter) and I would consider both perfectly buildable models. Ok so I have the resin correction nose for the defiant, and it'll require some other work - but it's still buildable, and will still look like a Defiant when built (even OOB). Yes ok there's the very nice new tool kit. But why buy another when I already have one in the stash? The same goes for the old tool Blenheim and Battle.

The question is of course - would you want to build it? (Yes in my case).

Can't comment on the 262 as it leaves me cold as a subject, but now you've set a Challange :-D

DAMN my own curiosity - I'm now the 'proud' owner of an Airfix Me262 - blooming ebay. :-D

It doesn't look too bad as a kit from first look, although even not knowing much about 262's I can see the canopy is off :shock: - other than that it doesn't look any worse than the Seahawk I'm playing around with. 'Of it's time' is the expression that best fits. It should certainly be a good exercise in scratch building cockpits. Allan did a really good tutorial on this kit in 2011.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stamford
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Building old toolings versus "modern" toolings- why so?

Post by Stamford »

[quote="Sir T"

DAMN my own curiosity - I'm now the 'proud' owner of an Airfix Me262 - blooming ebay. :-D

[/quote]

While I admire your attitude I´ll be getting the new tool! When I was a kid I liked Airfix best because I thought their kits superior to Frog and Revell. Nostalgia wasn´t so important to me back then! I´ll still enjoy the oldies - and keep the rivits - but some are rabid dogs and better off put down.
running at the edge of their world

Return to “Small Talk”