Opinion needed. - ***POLL UPDATED***

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?

Do you like the F-35?

Poll ended at May 6th, 2017, 11:46 pm

Yes
22%
Yeah I guess
13%
Doesn't really interest me
48%
No
17%

Total votes: 23

IronMan129
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Opinion needed. - ***POLL UPDATED***

Post by IronMan129 »

Ok so here's another question.
As alot of people don't like the F-35, do the same people have the same opinion about the F-22 Raptor?
Not my photo, all credit goes to g.K. g photography.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Yep.......
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Maverick231 wrote:As alot of people don't like the F-35, do the same people have the same opinion about the F-22 Raptor?
Nope. The F-22 may be just as ugly, but at least it's by all accounts a superlative fighter.
I get the impression that on the F-22 they pulled out all the technological stops to build the best fighter they could (a bit like the F-14 and F-15 in the 70s), while on the F-35 they lost focus and went for maximum gadget content, and maximum porkbarrel revenue when they realised they would never deliver their promises :evil: A bit like the consumer electronics industry, but with a defense budget to soak up :evil:
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

As a UK taxpayer I'm not paying for the F-22 but I am paying for the F-35 and I have two major concerns, the huge expense at a time when everything else is being cut to the bone (there's always money for a war though, eh?) and whether the thing will actually live up to the hype and be any good. So, no, I'm not really for the aircraft. The F/A 18 would have probably been cheaper, is certainly tried and tested and would have more than likely suited our needs - IMHO we should have stuck to specifying catties on the new carriers, but that is another story.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Maverick231 wrote:Ok so here's another question.
As alot of people don't like the F-35, do the same people have the same opinion about the F-22 Raptor?
Not my photo, all credit goes to g.K. g photography.
To me the F-35 looks like a "mini me" to the F-22 so yeah I feel the same way. As another poster kind of touched on I think with the F-35 they were looking for a "cure all" that could be used by all services and for all roles. It might cost a lot but they probably hope they will save that by making the maintenance cheaper and easier by having less types of aircraft which makes maintenance, and maintenance training easier.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

If it takes off and lands on a ship and has a fly navy sticker on the side it gets my vote.

As for noise levels, those of us who have lived on a carrier and have had harriers landing on our rooftop do not agree more noise is better :ha:
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
celt

Post by celt »

I think the F-35 is a lot of money for not much aircraft.I agree the Hornet would of been a more cost effective choice,and probably suit our requirements better.As for looks,the F-35, falls short on that count as well.
fredk

Post by fredk »

When I consider the F35 two things come to mind; 'the king's new clothes' syndrome and the Ford Edsel
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

I must admit it will be hilarious if they just do not work and are returned for a full refund (LOL)

DAvid.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

My neighbour was a Hornet pilot who retired as a Deputy CAG. Naturally he's biased, but in his opinion, the F35 doesn't offer much more capability in terms of future expected scenarios than a late model Hornet at a far higher price.

Return to “Small Talk”