Oldies in the stash

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Gregers
Forum founder

Oldies in the stash

Post by Gregers »

I had a rummage through the stash last week and had a few of my so called 'collectors' kits in my hands. Namely a bagged Airfix SR53. An Airfix SAM2. Two original FROG Vimys. A FROG Shackleton. And quita a few others. Out of curiosity what other gems are in members stashes? And more to the point are they for building?. All mine certainly are.

All the best.

Greg.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
59North
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Oldies in the stash

Post by 59North »

My stash harbours the Classic Airframes 1/48 Lockheed Hudson Mk.I, which I,m told is worth something. Plans are too build it though, so I don't really care what it's worth.

Then there is all those WNW out of production kits I have. I'll likely sell them off; sooner or later.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

At one time, I had the whole CA line of Hudsons, Blenheims, and Ansons.
Finally decided most would never get built and donated them to club/show raffles.

The Anson, Defiant TT, and Walrus remain among my favorite builds -- and I still have 4 Ansons, 2 Walrii, and a Defiant along with about 8 others.

Other than that I have loads of old kits, as would be expected from an old dude on this forum :)
All to be built or passed on to someone who will.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I've got one or two oldies in the stash in original packaging but I never check on collector's prices as I'm not a kit collector, they were all bought with the intention to be built.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

At least two thirds of my stash are kits made pre-2000. I doubt any are worth anything but they were all bought to be built.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Most of mine are old but as to the very oldest in there? Probably the Frog Valiant, Frog Meteor F8, Frog DH110 and a very early bagged Airfix Seahawk.

The oldest that I bought myself brand-new back in the dim mist of time is either the Airfix Sunderland or the B-29. Both bought new c.1969.

David
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

I have some really oldies but goodies. One that stands out right now is an original Revell Yak 25 Flashlight. Box scale with a standing guard.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I personally don't pay much attention to collectors prices most of the old kits appear at shows or on eBay at sensible prices if you look hard enough. For example I just picked up a Kitmaster Giant Swiss Crocodile kit for less than the equivalent price of a modern kit.

The trouble is lots of people think that because something is old then it must be expensive and class all old kits as expensive rare items.

One problem with saving old kits as an investment, is kit manufacturers have a habit of re-issuing or updating old kits making the originals worth a lot less, for example how many Frog shackletons have suddenly dropped in value and dumped on eBay now Airfix & Revell have issued new kits.

Having said that two kits already mentioned the SAM 2 & DH110 are both kits that due to their rarity and subject are both hard to find and expensive and subjects I often look out for but never see for a price I'm willing to pay :sad:
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

I certainly agree Alan. So called collectors kits can cost a premium price. I too hunt the older kits at shows. I have had a few bargains too but I admit I I have paid yhe going rate for a few too. The bagged SR53 I mentioned cost me a fiver. I also got a Monogram Boeing 737 for £15. Going rate for that is around the £50 mark. I only buy to build though and that's the main thing in my question. What rare kits are out there that are going to be built? The question came about because I was thinking of possible future group builds and/or CBK themes.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
Albert Einstein
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

I recently dragged my Revell version of the FROG Shackleton MR3 out of the stash as it is a possible next project - once I've decided how to handle all those overscale rivets.

Probably the rarest item in my stash is a 1/72 Aurora Piper PA-23 Aztec..
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

That Aztec is quite a rare beast. I have two. One unstarted and another I purchased prebuilt for restoration. The unbuit one took some finding. I eventually got it from an American modeller on the finescale forum for $10 plus shipping.
As for the Shack rivets. Shave them off for use on 1/35th scale tanks :lol:

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

My stash inventory does not include manufacture date and I'm not sure I have the energy to go research and amend that data. OTOH, it would be interesting I'm sure.

I am quite sure I have some plastic from the 50's and early 60's -- on my bench (and in our ship forum) right now is the Frog Shell Welder tanker, an original boxing from 1961.

But most of my oldest kits are wooden aircraft, western wagons, etc -- with the earliest that I remember being 1941. I do have to dig out my Frog Interceptor(s) and try to date them (again), but when I do I want the spare time to get one flyable, at least once.

Nothing in my stash is considered a "collectible" by me and I am quite sure my wife will not use that term when I'm gone and she has to sort it all out.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Nothing rare Aircraft kit wise really apart from a part built Keeware Savioi flying wing. Plenty of short run stuff that is out of production. The stuff that is more pricey are the 1/32 car kits from Aurora, Tomy, Monogram and Pyro. I've patiently waited to buy them at reasonable prices off eBay often letting a grail kit go as I won't go North of 30 squid. E.g. There is a monogram Lola GT with a buy it now if £45 I'm just going to have to oggle the pictures for now
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I hope you are looking at Ebay/US, James. Recently there was a large run of Pyro kits, I think I got many of them under your limit. Don't know if they are still running (sounds like fish). Of course US->UK postage is probably the killer, worse than a trade embargo these days.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

I was given an original Airfix Westland Whirlwind Fighter if that counts?

Return to “Small Talk”