Special edition decals idea

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Special edition decals idea

Post by Purplethistle »

In the 'One for the books' - Books and comics based GB there has been a lot of love for the old Commando comics and interest in doing representations of aircraft / vehicles on the covers, especially unusual markings or combatants.
I was thinking of writing to either Airfix or some decal manufacturers to suggest either reboxings of existing kits with 'Commando cover' decal options or a collaboration with a decal maker to produce a sheet of decals based on special schemes featured in classic commando books.
Does anyone have a favourite cover that they would love to see made into a kit or decal option?
It could be beneficial to both Airfix and Commando comics.

This was one of my favourite covers that I am just recreating by hand painting the dragons in lieu of any actual decals being available.

"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
Gregers
Forum founder

Re: Special edition decals idea

Post by Gregers »

Great idea. If you need to talk to a decal manufacturer our very own Migrant of Mike grant decals fame may be a good man to approach.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by rob_van_riel »

Despite having no connection at all to these particular comics, I like your idea. However, I doubt you'll get very far with it. It seem like too much of a niche product for any of the kit manufacturers to pick it up. As for the decal manufacturers, while they might be interested in a short run, niche product, there's the matter of copyrights. Whatever designs you would select for this, they would belong to whoever holds the copyright to the comics.

Perhaps the best you can hope for is a small "under the radar" edition for a local group (like this forum).

As Gregers has said, Migrant should have a better idea of what's involved.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

I love the idea of that dragon decal
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

For me it would be Johnny Red Hurricane decals with extra Falcons for some more Falcon sqn aircraft. And skulls for the red Hurricane and Mossie.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

I have this to hand paint. From The Bridges at Toko Ri.

So many models, so little time.

Return to “Small Talk”