So why do you build?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
billyb_imp
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Re: So why do you build?

Post by billyb_imp »

I was looking for something new to do after recently giving up on Radio Control stuff, mainly touring / rally cars, far to hectic, difficult to find somewhere to drive, can't drive in the rain, plastic models seemed the logical way to go, it's sort of related, I have got some airbrush experience although not in such great detail as required on PM's.

I also found this forum and hung around without joining for some time, some of the work shown is quite inspirational, so here I am wanting to be a plastic model builder, the jury may be out on that for some time but I'm enjoying it and looking to move forward and improve my technique.
A start on my first kit a Hawker Hurricane as been made, a spitfire awaits in the wings and thinking about models to come.

Modelling space in shed coming along nicely.
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

Relaxation....

.......and avoiding decorating :lol:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

I started plastic model making after a 20 year hiatus simply to give me a break from looking at computer screens. I work in IT all day and found that I was spending all my spare time playing online games. I was suffering from terrible headaches and getting a bit goggle eyed by the end of the day!

I find model building to be very relaxing. I think it must be using a different part of my brain and I must confess that when I am at the workbench its like a time machine. :???:

And of course to avoid the decorating. :lol:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
geoffg
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by geoffg »

How do you get away with it. I built from early teens to marriage but when the wife saw the detail on a 1/72 aircraft. She said well you can paint the house. Yes dear. 40 years later I still am although the windows are UPVC. However since retiring I have the time to do both. It's better than watching daytime tv.
Nikonchris
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Nikonchris »

Better than talking to the wife at night.............LOL.
Been modeling for years, just a nice way to relax.

Chris
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

It brings together my artistic/creative side and my interest in history. I may not be very good at it, but it gives me a sense of achievement when I complete something (in a non-competitive way), because the only person I have to satisfy is myself. Its nice to share our modelling journey and learn by the experiences of others, trying different techniques, working in different genres. I enjoy the variety that modelling offers, without it I'd get bored.
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Sir T wrote:So then, The questions is are. Why do you build models,
Yes, why? Oh God why? What's the point? It's a futile and pointless exercise. Why oh why do I do it?

You've made me totally re-examine my life.

Mr. Zee now walks slowly away with his head hung low contemplating the futility of his very existence on this planet. Heavy drinking may follow, plus some sobbing.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

hypostomus
Getting well comfy!

Post by hypostomus »

I'm just following the group masochistic urge. That's probably why I listen to Rush so much as well.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

I haven't built for a while but will fix that soon (i hope!)

But why do I build? Because it is relaxing and I enjoy taking all the parts and building some up out of them. I enjoy using my airbrush as well. I like to look up the subjects and decide which version I want or sometimes make up a colour scheme altogether when I get bored with grey or want to do something different.

Goes back to childhood. I still remember looking through my uncle's modelling catalogues and magazines, just loving the little worlds that were created.

Return to “Small Talk”