New kits

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
timet10
Series 3 and Beyond

New kits

Post by timet10 »

Hi All

I was just perusing the Hannants new releases and saw the Hasegawa Kawanishi H8K2 flying boat then saw the price £119 think ill be building my Frog boxing.

The moulding looks sublime, but comparing this to the cost of the new tool Italeri Sunderland I find it a little hard to justify.

Colin
Currently on the bench Airfix 1/48 Blenheim
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Re: New kits

Post by beany »

I got a FROG one in the kit swap at SMW in 2015 for £6.00. Now I'm wondering if I should re-sell it on eBay?!
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
timet10
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by timet10 »

Snap got mine from the SMW kit swap as well paid £15.00 for it not a bad kit for a 60's moulding.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

Hasegawa seem to have an inflated sense of the regard in which they are held; charging in excess of £30 for re-pops of their ageing kits is ludicrus, especially when the same kits (albeit in different boxes/with different decals) can still be bought for half the price second hand.
Yes, they are good kits, but that good? :roll:

I don't think so.....
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

HobbyLink Japan has the kit for the equivalent of about £52.00 (though it's currently out-of-stock, and I've no idea what shipping to the UK would be).
timet10
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by timet10 »

Iggie completely agree about the pricing in the UK does seem to smack of arrogance

Migrant, if it was around this price in the UK that would put it on a par with similar products from other manufacturers. Hasegawa themselves have it advertised as a limited release kit, I suppose this is why the price is inflated and why it has sold out so quickly at HLJ

Colin
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

iggie wrote:Hasegawa seem to have an inflated sense of the regard in which they are held; charging in excess of £30 for re-pops of their ageing kits is ludicrus, especially when the same kits (albeit in different boxes/with different decals) can still be bought for half the price second hand.
Yes, they are good kits, but that good? :roll:

I don't think so.....

Don't get me started on the way Hasegawa charge for their old kits. A good example is their Mig-21f13. It's so old I reckon the mould must have been carved by Noah and it's pretty much the worst 1/72nd kit of the type available. This doesn't stop them from occasionally reboxing it with new decals and charging silly amounts of money for it though :frown:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

There's a lot wrong with Hasegawa pricing, but quite a bit of the ire here may be unjustified.

According to the HLJ site, this is not a repop but a new tool, and a good one too by the looks of it. The Japanese RRP for this thing doesn't seen too wildly off.
In the US, they have a local branch, so if prices there are silly, it's entirely in their own hands. In Europe, I get the impression each country has it's own wholesale organisation independent of Hasegawa themselves. I suspect a lot of the final local price is down to the greed of multiple middlemen. I'm not sure Hasegawa know or care what happens on this end (not caring might be a mistake, but that would be their problem..)

And of course there's the tax vultures cranking the price up by 20%.

Return to “Small Talk”