Quick question

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Springy67
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Quick question

Post by Springy67 »

I know you can use oven cleaner to strip the paint from a kit but can you also use it to strip the paint from a transparency? I need to remove the painted framing from my Hurricane canopy but am worried it will do something to the transparency.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers
Springy
Gregers
Forum founder

Re: Quick question

Post by Gregers »

Last time I used it to strip a canopy (Matchbox Meteor NF13) it fogged the canopy. I would try the brand you are going to use on some clear sprue for a few days on the same brand of kit plastic and see what happens.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by fredk »

I used a cheap brand to remove paint, including from the canopy, no harm to the canopy at all
Different result to Greg's : therefore you'd need to do a check
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I routinely tidy up the framework on canopies by gently scraping off the excess paint using a wooden cocktail stick dipped in a little of the appropriate thinners. The relatively soft wood of the cocktail stick doesn't tend to damage the clear parts and I don't see why you couldn't use the method to fully remove all of the paint, although it will take a bit of time and effort - I'd be wary of oven cleaner on clear parts as it sounds a bit savage to me!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Springy67 wrote:I know you can use oven cleaner to strip the paint from a kit but can you also use it to strip the paint from a transparency? I need to remove the painted framing from my Hurricane canopy but am worried it will do something to the transparency.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers
Springy
I use Dettol, is works on pretty much anything. Doesn't seem to affect clear parts as far as I remember.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Oven cleaner typically has caustic soda/lye as active ingrediend. I've never had trouble with the straight stuff. When in doubt, I would actually recommend white label lye (or white label caustic soda dissolved in water, which is even cheaper lye), since that doesn't contain any fashionable additives.
The only things to be careful about are, first, making sure your fingers and such don't get exposed as well, and second, that the lye isn't too hot (disolving caustic soda generates significant heat); the lye won't harm the plastic, but the heat might warp it.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Try using toothpaste to polish the paint off. It's a very mild abrasive and won't hurt the plastic.
2012 A:12 B:13 C:0

Return to “Small Talk”