Revell Acrylic Paint

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
celt
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Revell Acrylic Paint

Post by celt »

Hi all,I am a brush painter and for years used Humbrol enamels with no problems.My wifes illness made me change to acrylics,I have had good results with Humbrol Acrylics but lately I have had more bad results than good,I have tried most of the other brands without much success,the only one I have not tried is Revell Aquacolor,the reason being,I have tried their enamel before and its dreadful.Can anyone tell me if Revell acrylic is good for brush painting?I am getting frustrated,as I am ruining model after model due to poor painting results.I would appreciate any help.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Re: Revell Acrylic Paint

Post by lancfan »

Revell Aqua is just brilliant, it is my paint of choice, it is heavily pigmented, self levelling and is supplied quite thick so you can thin it to the consistency you prefer, if it dries too quickly for your needs add a little acrylic flow enhancer.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
celt

Post by celt »

lancfan wrote:Revell Aqua is just brilliant, it is my paint of choice, it is heavily pigmented, self levelling and is supplied quite thick so you can thin it to the consistency you prefer, if it dries too quickly for your needs add a little acrylic flow enhancer.

David.
Thanks very much,but what is flow enhancer and where would I get it from.
Regards
Ken
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

I agree with David, big fan of Revell AQUAs, WHEN you know how to thin them, so I use this (about £7.00 from Hobbycraft or anywhere online):

you only need a few drops per pot, so should last ages, (it stops the acrylics drying too quickly - very important when airbrushing with them or they dry on the nozzle and go grainy as the paint is already drying before hitting the plastic!!),
and then I thin the paints with a 50/50 mix of water and this stuff:

I suggest you try them and experiment to find what works for you. I personally always got on well with the Revell enamels, but am slowly replacing them with AQUAs and the numbers are the same, so Revell instructions are still easy to follow, although you still may have to do some colour mixing - the bane of almost all Revell painting plans!

Hope that helps
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

well said Al, the flow enhancer I use is Daler-Rowney, it came in a 75ml glass bottle which I bought from Hobbycraft about 5 years ago and it's still half full.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
celt

Post by celt »

Thanks for the info, lancfan and beany, I will visit my local hobbycraft and experiment.I will post the result.
iggie

Post by iggie »

I use a lot of Revell Aqua and have always found it easy to brush apply. I've not yet used the flow enhancer but will give it a go as sometimes it can be tricky keeping a wet edge wheel painting large areas with the 'airy stick
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
DH-Drover
Active Participant

Post by DH-Drover »

I definitely need a flow enhancer. In winter it gets rather cold here, it was minus two this morning, topping out at about ten so the air is on :roll: This speeds up the drying :evil:

In summer we float between 30 and 42-4 sometimes a bit hotter :shock: So the air is on this also speeds up the drying :evil:

I love autumn and spring when the air is not on. :-D

Dai
Life or Death there no other options.
Indian Proverb.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

lancfan wrote:well said Al, the flow enhancer I use is Daler-Rowney, it came in a 75ml glass bottle which I bought from Hobbycraft about 5 years ago and it's still half full.
David.
Ever the optimist :)
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
m1ks
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by m1ks »

For brush paintable Acrylics the best I've found bar none are the Games Workshop Citadel range, once you get by their quirky naming and figure out the colours you need, they're exceptional, their metallics are far superior with a far finer metalflake pigment than any other acrylic i've seen.
They brush straight from the pot nicely and with a dot of ordinary tap water flow well, for spraying ,using Tamiyas X20A they perform well.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

m1ks wrote:For brush paintable Acrylics the best I've found bar none are the Games Workshop Citadel range, once you get by their quirky naming and figure out the colours you need, they're exceptional, their metallics are far superior with a far finer metalflake pigment than any other acrylic i've seen.
They brush straight from the pot nicely and with a dot of ordinary tap water flow well, for spraying ,using Tamiyas X20A they perform well.
I've never tried them but would like to based on your recommendation. Do you know if there are any lists around that would match Citadel colour names to more recognisable military aircraft names? For example, WWII RAF and Luftwaffe colours would be of particular interest to me.

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

beany wrote:
m1ks wrote:For brush paintable Acrylics the best I've found bar none are the Games Workshop Citadel range, once you get by their quirky naming and figure out the colours you need, they're exceptional, their metallics are far superior with a far finer metalflake pigment than any other acrylic i've seen.
I've never tried them but would like to based on your recommendation. Do you know if there are any lists around that would match Citadel colour names to more recognisable military aircraft names? For example, WWII RAF and Luftwaffe colours would be of particular interest to me.

Cheers
Al.
If you have an iPhone try the iModelkit app it lists all the different paints as paint swatches, if you select a colour it shows all the other manufactures similar paints for comparison. It's an excellent app and only cost a couple of pounds and I think they do a free trial version.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

beany wrote:

Cheers
Al.
I don't know about names but I got a really helpful comparison chart from the IPMS Stockholm site. I think you can pick your preferred paint and get a chart that shows the equivalents from half a dozen other makers.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

I may try some Revell Colours for basic stuff. All the mixing shown in the instructions is quite annoying.

Currently using Humbrol Acrylics. Properly thinned, they work nicely, and a coat of 80% Kleer and 20% Tamiya Flat base levels and matts in one application.

A new set of paints that I just bought are from Hataka. They colour code their ranges. Blue for Brushing. Red for the Airbrush. Orange for lacquer. They come in neat sets of 6 paints and look like the Vallejo style bottles. I bought The RAF and FAA sets, which cover most British Aircraft. It works very nicely.

I have jars and tins of just about every paint going. I have some Revell paints, but they are thick and seem to resist thinning.

For some metallic finishes I use Citadel Boltgun Metal, Chainmail and Mythril Silver. Use these with a wash of sepia and / or black, and you get some excellent results.
So many models, so little time.

Return to “Small Talk”