Controversial plans for Biggin Hill Memorial

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Controversial plans for Biggin Hill Memorial

Post by fredk »

I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by bringing this to the attention of the collective

Bromley Council plans to demolish part of the BIGGIN HILL RAF CHAPEL OF REMEMBRANCE to build an ugly square 'box' of a building which will be the long awaited Battle of Britain Museum. The plans for a mini Duxford type building that could take large artifacts and even an aircraft has been pushed aside for a flat roofed 'Toilet Block' with no aviation or RAF influences and will just contain photos and video displays. This will require the demolition of the Vestry which houses the Air Crew Association stained glass window.

To persuade Bromley Council to reconsider their plans, an On-Line Petition has been started which already has 10,855 signatures.
It needs to reach 15,000

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/ ... emembrance;

Please consider signing the petition

An uncle of mine was one of the many who kept The Few flying and fighting from Biggin Hill during that summer of 1940. It was at Biggin I first met Sir Douglas Bader
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
iggie

Re: Controversial plans for Biggin Hill Memorial

Post by iggie »

Duly signed.....
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Signed.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Signed.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

"We will be removing the 1990 storage annex to allow the original design of the Grade II listed 1951 Chapel to be once again revealed. The 'Allied Aircrew' roundel window will be saved and relocated elsewhere within the new scheme."

There's a fair bit of emotive language thrown around about this; all I would suggest is that before signing the petition, read up on what the proposal is, and what's already been done. It makes it sound as though Bromley Council is entirely responsible for some "vandalism." The plan is that of the Biggin Hill Memorial Museum Trust, and they've been given Lottery Funding to do it, working with the Council.

http://www.bhmm.org.uk;

best,
M.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

What is the main objection to their plans?
fredk

Post by fredk »

This is part of a message posted on another forum by someone closely involved in the situation;

Quote;
As for the Vestry, I will let viewers of the BBC News item decide whether it is a building of no value, to be pulled down and replaced by a characterless ugly 'box' that is totally alien to the Chapel and with no aviation or RAF influences.

As for the Air Crew Association stained glass window, until we highlighted its presence, the Trust either failed to recognise its significance, or were trying to pretend it was not there! There is no mention of it in their Planning application, it is unlikely that it could be removed without damage and where would you imagine it could be put in the Trust's design to look right. You will notice it is currently housed in a very elegant brick port-hole in the front of the Vestry, facing the road and is back-lit at night. It was paid for by members of the Association and Dedicated in a special service on 11th May 1997, so the membership are rightfully 'miffed' at its possible removal and are part of the 10,900 that have already signed the petition.

The driving force behind this awful design lies within the Council, who were promoting this plan before the Trust was even formed! These Officers and Councillors were also responsible for unceremoniously pushing the 170 members of the Biggin Hill Battle of Britain Supporters Club out of the picture, despite the same Council having given unopposed Planning Approval to their 'Duxford' type Heritage Centre design only months before.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

See what I mean about emotive language? Reading between the lines, it sounds as if the "Biggin Hill Battle of Britain Supporters Club" proposed a plan for a "Duxford-like" hangar building with aircraft on display, and the Biggin Hill Memorial Museum Trust proposed a different plan, which they have successfully promoted and received lottery funding for. It just seems a shame that instead of getting together and making sure that the plan that's been funded and is going ahead does the best possible job of presenting and remembering and celebrating the contributions of all the people who served at Biggin Hill, there seems to be a lot of energy going into trying to derail it at the last minute. As someone who has worked on Lottery Funding bids, I know it's not easy to put them together in the first place, and getting funding depends on meeting a lot of criteria, plus a fair bit of luck, so if this plan is brought to a halt, there's no guarantee at all that an alternative will be funded... which won't do _anyone's_ "cause celebre" any good.

best,
M.
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

Signed: Private Eye have raised this issue several times.
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17

Return to “Small Talk”