Not modelling...

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Not modelling...

Post by MarkyM607 »

ShaunW wrote:I'm genuinely sorry to hear that, Saxon. Personally, I have always found being a member of this forum to be very positive and that it lacks the snobbery and cliques that I have experienced for instance with car forums in the past. I recall on one car forum, that shall remain nameless, being ignored by a good percentage of the other members until I had amassed around 200 posts and even then acceptance was grudging by a number of them I think because I didn't have a "classic" enough car. It was the first forum of any description that I had ever joined and I could have been put off forums for life but I resolved not to judge by one bad experience. In my opinion and experience on UAMF, arguments about accuracy, colour schemes and what have you take second place to encouragement of others and enthusiasm for the hobby. I am aware that I have one of the highest post counts of the current membership (maybe I need to get out more :ha: ) but it doesn't matter to me whether a member has one post or ten thousand, I will still give encouragement or help where I can. Certainly this is one of the friendliest and least judgemental forums I have been a member of and I can't praise it highly enough.
Have to agree there, surprised actually at the lack of negative responses to models. It's usually always positive or criticism is constructive and beneficial. There is always that sort of 'class' or group factor and to me it makes something less worthwhile being in if you have to meet precise criteria such as status or things that you own. For social animals humans do seem to be selective and even isolating in their manner!. But keep coming here Saxon, my own builds are seriously criticised but only by me!!. Everyone else is great so keep coming and the best here will come to the top. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

celt wrote:Hi Martin R,I too am not modelling anymore,but like bassman I read UAMF everyday.Its not that my mojo has gone its just my models are not as good as the models on here and the more I try to do better the worse they get.So I just read the posts by others for my model fix, and leave the building to those with more talent than me.

Cut it out with that kind of defeatist talk.

Your models look just fine. You can't expect to become expert at every aspect all at once.

Try to master one fundamental aspect at once. Seam filling, or canopy frames or something. Practice on old or failed models.

We're all learning and striving. None of my builds is perfect, but each year I get a little better.

And slow down. If you finish a step and don't like the result, don't move on until yiu get it to the point where it doesn't bother you.

I've been rescribing the same set of panel lines in an f-15 for three evenins now. I'll give it one more shot tonight. If I screw it up again, I'll set the kit aside and work on something else, and co.e back to the f-15 when the mood strikes again.

It's not a race.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

ShaunW wrote:I'm genuinely sorry to hear that, Saxon. Personally, I have always found being a member of this forum to be very positive and that it lacks the snobbery and cliques that I have experienced for instance with car forums in the past. I recall on one car forum, that shall remain nameless, being ignored by a good percentage of the other members until I had amassed around 200 posts and even then acceptance was grudging by a number of them I think because I didn't have a "classic" enough car. It was the first forum of any description that I had ever joined and I could have been put off forums for life but I resolved not to judge by one bad experience. In my opinion and experience on UAMF, arguments about accuracy, colour schemes and what have you take second place to encouragement of others and enthusiasm for the hobby. I am aware that I have one of the highest post counts of the current membership (maybe I need to get out more :ha: ) but it doesn't matter to me whether a member has one post or ten thousand, I will still give encouragement or help where I can. Certainly this is one of the friendliest and least judgemental forums I have been a member of and I can't praise it highly enough.
I only copped some light criticism on here mostly from Merlin Jones who was a massive stick in the mud anyway. He couldn't get around the idea of someone painting canopies solid, desktop model style. That said it was annoying because I have seen far worse on here and those models were never criticized. So I felt singled out to be honest.

Being bullied and harassed was via another forum all because I was having a disagreement with some other people. They couldn't handle their favourite manufacturer being criticized and stepped up the abuse. I defended myself and the bully admin banned me. Pointed this out to Airfix themselves and they also didn't care.

Told them they lost a customer as one of their endorsed representatives treated me like rubbish and they seemed fine with that.

I'm not the only one either. I have come across a number of people who have also been treated like rubbish by this admin and are no longer Airfix customers.

I'm writing this because I don't think Airfix or a lot of Admins understand the "cause and effect" of bearing a manufacturers name and how they treat people on their forums.
celt

Post by celt »

Hi Saxon,I for one like painted canopies solid and intend to build all my models this way [if,and when I feel like building models again]
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Saxon wrote:
I only copped some light criticism on here mostly from Merlin Jones who was a massive stick in the mud anyway. He couldn't get around the idea of someone painting canopies solid, desktop model style. That said it was annoying because I have seen far worse on here and those models were never criticized. So I felt singled out to be honest.

Like he's one to criticize anything!

Sorry to get gossipy, but I got burned bad by that guy. Went out of my way to defend him when he got in trouble here, then when I was no longer of any use to him, he simply stopped responding to any of my attempts at correspondence. I suspect it was because I had no interest in worshiping at the altar of his ego.
Saxon wrote:
Being bullied and harassed was via another forum all because I was having a disagreement with some other people. They couldn't handle their favourite manufacturer being criticized and stepped up the abuse. I defended myself and the bully admin banned me. Pointed this out to Airfix themselves and they also didn't care.

Told them they lost a customer as one of their endorsed representatives treated me like rubbish and they seemed fine with that.

I'm not the only one either. I have come across a number of people who have also been treated like rubbish by this admin and are no longer Airfix customers.

I'm writing this because I don't think Airfix or a lot of Admins understand the "cause and effect" of bearing a manufacturers name and how they treat people on their forums.

Some folks just fall lock-step in line with an idea, a product, or a leader, and become blind to any conflicting notions. If the mod you speak of is who I think he is, then pay no mind. He has the mental capacity of a plastic soap-dish and treats his duties as mod the same way a mindless constable may treat his duty: strictly by the rule book, and entirely to the exclusion of his heart or brain.

In short, don't let the divas and the mindless tell you that their way is the only way; and don't let them discourage you.

This forum really is one of the friendliest out there. Some may discount this friendliness as empty back-patting. Perhaps sometimes it can be, but I think the encouragement that members give one another here is genuinely based on recognition of the effort put in by the modeler, and recognition and acknowledgment of the joy the modeler may have derived from their build.

I like coming back to UAMF frequently because the laid back attitude towards modeling here is infectious, and healthy. I don't need to be losing sleep over some minor issue on what is essentially a plastic toy. Even the master modelers here (guys like Migrant, Johnsan, Flakmonkey [wherever he may be], MikeW, and many others), are friendly and encouraging to us mere mortals.

Okay, rant off. Back to work for me.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Well said, Ralph, you have hit a number of nails fully on the head there. Modelling, like many other hobbies, unfortunately features individuals to whom the hobby seems more important than life itself and woe betide anybody who does not fit in with their blinkered views. Or to put it another way, in the case of the aforesaid individuals, take an empty life and fill it with modelling!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

celt wrote:Hi Saxon,I for one like painted canopies solid and intend to build all my models this way [if,and when I feel like building models again]
Thanks Celt. Yeah I think they look much meaner personally. And I get out of worrying about cockpits!!!
Softscience wrote:
Saxon wrote:

Like he's one to criticize anything!

Sorry to get gossipy, but I got burned bad by that guy. Went out of my way to defend him when he got in trouble here, then when I was no longer of any use to him, he simply stopped responding to any of my attempts at correspondence. I suspect it was because I had no interest in worshiping at the altar of his ego.
Saxon wrote:

Some folks just fall lock-step in line with an idea, a product, or a leader, and become blind to any conflicting notions. If the mod you speak of is who I think he is, then pay no mind. He has the mental capacity of a plastic soap-dish and treats his duties as mod the same way a mindless constable may treat his duty: strictly by the rule book, and entirely to the exclusion of his heart or brain.

In short, don't let the divas and the mindless tell you that their way is the only way; and don't let them discourage you.

This forum really is one of the friendliest out there. Some may discount this friendliness as empty back-patting. Perhaps sometimes it can be, but I think the encouragement that members give one another here is genuinely based on recognition of the effort put in by the modeler, and recognition and acknowledgment of the joy the modeler may have derived from their build.

I like coming back to UAMF frequently because the laid back attitude towards modeling here is infectious, and healthy. I don't need to be losing sleep over some minor issue on what is essentially a plastic toy. Even the master modelers here (guys like Migrant, Johnsan, Flakmonkey [wherever he may be], MikeW, and many others), are friendly and encouraging to us mere mortals.

Okay, rant off. Back to work for me.
Thank you. I realize I might be getting a little sookie here but I have a high stress job and this is supposed to be a release for me. When I cop rubbish on forums from people who behaving like overgrown children it really does amuse me.

You may or may not know this but Merlin was responsible for Airfix closing down their original forum. And yes he did think he was rather special.

I think we are talking about the same mod. He has some very tedious rules on his forum which makes discussion rather difficult as he does not understand that conversations tend to drift on and off topic at times. Sometimes just slightly and other times more radically. It is just the way discussions go.
ShaunW wrote:Well said, Ralph, you have hit a number of nails fully on the head there. Modelling, like many other hobbies, unfortunately features individuals to whom the hobby seems more important than life itself and woe betide anybody who does not fit in with their blinkered views. Or to put it another way, in the case of the aforesaid individuals, take an empty life and fill it with modelling!
I have noticed that for some Airfix is like a God that must never be challenged. Which is a shame because it prevents growth and different opinions being offered.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

OK, guys, MJ is a former member, long gone, and I'm not sure who the other persons might be, but we are starting to dent the boundaries of our own Site Rules, specifically;

Code of Conduct

Please try to be polite and reasonable.

1 - Insulting remarks to individuals, whether direct or inferred, are strongly discouraged. Suspension, or a ban from the Forum may result, following discussion about such behaviour by the Admin Team.

2 - Any remarks aimed at modelling organisations, societies, retailers, manufacturers, forums or websites must be justified with evidence. Balanced criticism is always expected. Remarks made which are against the spirit of this rule, will be discussed by the Admin Team and may result in suspension or a ban.

3 - Please do not make comments about activity or postings on other forums on this forum.

Thanks for your consideration of this.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

jRatz wrote:OK, guys, MJ is a former member, long gone, and I'm not sure who the other persons might be, but we are starting to dent the boundaries of our own Site Rules, specifically;

Code of Conduct

1 - Insulting remarks to individuals, whether direct or inferred, are strongly discouraged. Suspension, or a ban from the Forum may result, following discussion about such behaviour by the Admin Team.

2 - Any remarks aimed at modelling organisations, societies, retailers, manufacturers, forums or websites must be justified with evidence. Balanced criticism is always expected. Remarks made which are against the spirit of this rule, will be discussed by the Admin Team and may result in suspension or a ban.

3 - Please do not make comments about activity or postings on other forums on this forum.

1/ No one seemed to care when I was attacked.

2/ Evidence is hard to provide when some will clear their tracks and ban people who dare stand up for themselves. I don't bow to bullies so ban me if it makes you feel better. If said modeling manufacturers treat their customers like garbage then I think it is a worthwhile discussion.

3/ Again, these discussions are relevant and worthwhile. If it makes you feel better though, that brief moment I had of feeling somewhat a part of this forum has been destroyed again by your post. I even wrote my first brief review in years earlier. I am sorry I bothered.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

celt wrote:Hi Saxon,I for one like painted canopies solid and intend to build all my models this way [if,and when I feel like building models again]
Saxon, Celt

+1 from me on solid models. The one piece of modelling I have done this year was smoothing, painting and decalling a 3-d printed model aircraft for a colleague's retirement. While much Halford's high build primer was used, the 'canopy' was xtracrylix gloss azure blue. Compared to the matt camo, I thought it looked fab!

Regards

Martin
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

And thanks to all for posting and letting me know I'm not alone in my lack of modelling.

Regards

Martin
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Martin R wrote:
Saxon, Celt

+1 from me on solid models. The one piece of modelling I have done this year was smoothing, painting and decalling a 3-d printed model aircraft for a colleague's retirement. While much Halford's high build primer was used, the 'canopy' was xtracrylix gloss azure blue. Compared to the matt camo, I thought it looked fab!

Regards

Martin
Yep and when you look at photos of aircraft, especially ones in flight many times the canopy looks a solid colour anyway.

On a related note, I get a little annoyed when I see many of the new kits and the ridiculous amount of parts and detail that will never be seen once the fuselage halves are closed up. What is the point and all that extra plastic costs money. Give me an open bomb bay with bombs in it. A choice of weapons. Things I can see!
celt

Post by celt »

Saxon wrote:
Martin R wrote:
Saxon, Celt

Regards

Martin
Yep and when you look at photos of aircraft, especially ones in flight many times the canopy looks a solid colour anyway.

On a related note, I get a little annoyed when I see many of the new kits and the ridiculous amount of parts and detail that will never be seen once the fuselage halves are closed up. What is the point and all that extra plastic costs money. Give me an open bomb bay with bombs in it. A choice of weapons. Things I can see!
Hi Saxon,I agree with you 100%,most of my model troubles are to do with the canopy.I have binned numerous models because I have botched the canopy.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

@Celt - The first time I painted a canopy black was because I fogged it up with superglue. I noticed it looked pretty cool and stuck it on. I didn't worry about painting the framing a different colour. I kept trying to get the framing right, with masking, maksol etc

I kept trying to do them "properly" but it just never worked for me. So I decided to paint them in the base colour and then mask the frames and paint what would have been the clear parts solid.

In regards to your other post about not modeling because your results don't match others. I have found that the less I try the better the results are. When I fuss about with varnish coats, or try to get things exactly right it all goes to pot. I try my best with camo schemes but even then I don't stress if they are a little out.

I started building again a few weeks ago and have remembered why I enjoy it. Lots of What If subjects you can do as well if you want to avoid worrying about your kits looking like the real thing.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Saxon wrote:
jRatz wrote:OK, guys, MJ is a former member, long gone, and I'm not sure who the other persons might be, but we are starting to dent the boundaries of our own Site Rules, specifically;

Code of Conduct

1/ No one seemed to care when I was attacked.

2/ Evidence is hard to provide when some will clear their tracks and ban people who dare stand up for themselves. I don't bow to bullies so ban me if it makes you feel better. If said modeling manufacturers treat their customers like garbage then I think it is a worthwhile discussion.

3/ Again, these discussions are relevant and worthwhile. If it makes you feel better though, that brief moment I had of feeling somewhat a part of this forum has been destroyed again by your post. I even wrote my first brief review in years earlier. I am sorry I bothered.
OK, I think we all need to take a step backwards here. I am sorry if you feel hard done by here, Saxon, but site rules ARE site rules - please, stop with the disparaging remarks about others, and other fora - we simply do not allow it and we are not singling you out in this respect. Regretfully, I am going to close this thread because I do not wish this to get out of hand. A note to everyone - please respect the well established rules of the forum.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"

Return to “Small Talk”