Using alternative filler.

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
IronMan129
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Using alternative filler.

Post by IronMan129 »

Hey folks!
Its probably been posted in another thread so please forgive me if it has.

I was in a well known shop that sells most things for a pound and saw a small tub of "all perpose filler" and it got me wondering if it would be any good for modelling so I bought a tub.

Has anyone else used filler like this on models before?

At least if I can't use it on models I have it if I need it for the house.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Using alternative filler.

Post by JamesPerrin »

As it's probably for DIY I would assume it's too coarse for modelling. For cheaper bulk filler, car body filler is recommended by some, though personally I don't get through enough to warrant buying large quantities that may have a limited shelf life. Tamiya and milliput cover most if my needs
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Spaceowl

Post by Spaceowl »

I've found wood filler gives pretty good results, sands down easily and is fairly rapid drying. Costs about £5 for a 500g tub.
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Assuming it's a poly filler type product, I have used this a very few times for bridging large areas and basic shaping but have always gone over it with a model filler skin. For example I made a Lancastrian nose and tail with a bulkhead and side and top profile formers. Filled with scrap plastic then poly filler. Finished with an outer skin of squadron green stuff. First primer coat wss high build primer that was flatted back.
Hope this helps with your query.
I have and still sometimes use car body filler also.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Thanks for your help folks!

I tried a trial run on buster, so far I'm very impressed!
I filled in the stand hole as can be seen in the pic, If I applied it just a tiny bit too thick and sanded it back it could work out very nicely.
It was very easy to clean off the model and doesn't stick to the model like some other fillers I've used.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

My approach would be to stick/glue a piece of scrap plastic in the slot (I have a lot of Evergreen for various purposes), then use the tiniest bit of filler for the final smoothing if needed.

I have, over the years, reduced filling to the least possible amount -- I find my self spending more time fitting & fettling (as James signature line reads) than filling. My favorite is now Vallejo, comes in a small tube with a fine tip applicator which makes it easy to control and helps moderate the amount that gets out and all over.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
vacant

Post by vacant »

I use Fine Surface Pollyfilla by Polycell. Yes, it's a household , but for big or small gaps, it works for me. When sanded with wet/dry sandpaper, if done carefully, the top layer turns to a liquid mush that blends in with the surrounding plastic. Then I give it a coat of liquid poly cement with the idea of hardening the surface and making it more like the surrounding plastic (not sure of the chemistry of this, but it seems to work). I suspect that a tub of Poundland stuff may be too coarse.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

If it didn't stick to your model it probably will crack and fall off.

You really want a solvent based filler which will chemically bond with the plastic by slightly melting it.

If you don't want to use a filler made by modeling firms, then go with Bondo, Auto body filler. It sands smooth, dries fast, keeps for ever, and is cheap.

But don't use the gunk that you use to fill holes in your wall.
vacant

Post by vacant »

Fine grained Pollyfiller is gunk that was designed to fill holes in walls. I have never had any fall out. I have been using it for about 25 years - it has not deteriorated or cracked open. Perhaps painting liquid poly over it helps to bond it. The paint on top certainly keeps it well in place.
flyingt
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by flyingt »

I also started to use pollyfiller a while back.it does need a sealer when you paint over it. I also have been
using acrylic caulk for trial fits . I put together a plastic figure in 5 minutes after I cleaned up the parts.I
glued it together with dabs of superglue. It hardens the caulk.

Return to “Small Talk”