New Airfix 1/72 Messerschmitt 262A available

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
mylo66
Getting well comfy!

Re: New Airfix 1/72 Messerschmitt 262A available

Post by mylo66 »

Im not sure how many decent 262`s there are in 1:72 but i don`t have any of them but
i will be getting a couple of these. As an aircraft representing the dawn of the jet age its
a very important mark.
Eric Mc
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Eric Mc »

And the usual answer is, Airfix make not a single penny from all those other 1/72 262s that are out there - so they are perfectly entitled, as a business, to launch their own new tool kit of the subject for their own commercial reasons.

There are also sound commercial reasons why good, accurate and modern MiG 19 models aren't available.

(PS - didn't KP do a half decent old tool MiG 19?)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The '262 is a good choice for a re-vamp from Airfix IMHO, the old kit is well past its sell by date, the type is historically important and therefore worthy of inclusion into the company's modern catalogue. I largely, but not exclusively, build jet types from the Cold War period and, yes, I would really like to see Airfix tool a MiG- 17, 19 and 21 (the old MiG-21 is also well past its sell by date) but, with the possible exception of the MiG-21, I don't think any of those types will be viewed by the company as being "bankers". Airfix is a business after all - a point often missed by many in the hobby and the investment the company has to make to tool up for any new kit is very substantial. Hence we get a diet of Spitfires, Hurricanes, Me-109's etc etc. The enthusiasts are not always forgotten though - there is a Walrus out after all, albeit in 1/48th.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

ShaunW wrote:there is a Walrus out after all, albeit in 1/48th.
want one want one want one
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
CementNotGlue
Active Participant

Post by CementNotGlue »

ShaunW wrote:The '262 is a good choice for a re-vamp from Airfix IMHO, the old kit is well past its sell by date, the type is historically important and therefore worthy of inclusion into the company's modern catalogue. I largely, but not exclusively, build jet types from the Cold War period and, yes, I would really like to see Airfix tool a MiG- 17, 19 and 21 (the old MiG-21 is also well past its sell by date) but, with the possible exception of the MiG-21, I don't think any of those types will be viewed by the company as being "bankers".
Those of us modelling in in the 70s were spoilt for choice with many 'non-bankers'. Where I disagree though is were Airfix to produce Russian jet fighters (other than the Mig-21 thanks to Revell) they would be the best on the market and for modellers who don't model on a theme they would provide an attractive excursion. Think it's called being adventurous!

Accurate Mig-17 please Airfix with optional parts for a PF variant.
jezbrook
Getting well comfy!

Post by jezbrook »

Airfix is one of, if not the oldest kit company(s) still in full time production. It introduced many of the famous aircraft kits to the modellers. Now, 65 years after it started to make kits, it is having to re-tool many of its older kits. It is unthinkable to expect Airfix not to have Me262s, P-51s, B-17s, etc, in its range just because other companies have belated added these kits to their ranges. The Me262 is a very important aircraft and Airfix needs to have one (I suspect we will get several different Me262s from Airfix) in its range.

If you are a diehard fan of the Typsy Nipper Mk.III, then you will be constantly disappointed by all these Phantoms, Meteors, Shackletons, etc, but I am sure there is a declining cottage firm out there that will run you off a few TN Mk.IIIs before going under.
Spaceowl

Post by Spaceowl »

Eric Mc wrote:
(PS - didn't KP do a half decent old tool MiG 19?)
Yes - that's the 1965 tooling I namechecked. It was an absolute bleeding-edge kit IN 1965 but that was 52 years ago. There hasn't been a newer or better kit of the 19 produced since then. In the meantime mainstream manufacturers put out kits that didn't exist beyond the napkin scribblings of Nazi scientists or aircraft that have been kitted innumerable times.
Frustrating, see?
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I don't have a problem with Airfix "retooling" older kits, they have a broad range, and they are doing a good job bringing them up to today's standards. I also don't mind them slipping into odd scales - like Sir T I am leaning forward in my foxhole for the Walrus to come out. But unlike him, I don't want one - I want two !!
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

jRatz wrote:I don't have a problem with Airfix "retooling" older kits, they have a broad range, and they are doing a good job bringing them up to today's standards. I also don't mind them slipping into odd scales - like Sir T I am leaning forward in my foxhole for the Walrus to come out. But unlike him, I don't want one - I want two !!
I would have two, but I've got to save some money for the Sea Fury :-D

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

OH MY GOD... :shock:

What a bloody superb kit!!!

Mine turned up at work this morning, and as I'm able to do some modelling at lunch time in the car, I've been able to spend 45 mins working on it.

Wow is all I can say. I've not built any of the new generation of Airfix kits (not since they went to the CAD instructions) and my God what a leap forward - the fit is superb, the cockpit is probably the best I've seen in an Airfix kit for it's size. It's just superb.

I've already got most of the main assemblies together and will crack on with paint tomorrow - I'll stick some pictures in my WW thread, see the link below - Page 66ish).

One thing I did note - There are a few pieces in the kit not used (two drop tanks etc) and quite a few holes that look like they should be drilled out - expect future variants.

Now I'm not a fan of Luftwaffe aircraft, but I reckon this kit will be a corker - So if you get the chance I'd say get one.

Cheers!

ST

fredk

Post by fredk »

I don't have it yet, just seen the frames on forum threads.

The cockpit tub and fuselage halves are on their own frame.
Airfix could do a 2-seater by just replacing that frame and adding one with the radar aerials.
A 2-seater might be planned as the drop tanks were only used by the 2-seaters afair

Parts 35 & 36 are the mountings for the nose mounted bombs of the fighter-bomber version.
There are flashed over mounting holes for these in the lower nose part
So a fighter-bomber version might be coming too
In the mean time if a modeller has appropiate bombs and decals he/she can build the fighter-bomber now
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

fredk wrote:I don't have it yet, just seen the frames on forum threads.

The cockpit tub and fuselage halves are on their own frame.
Airfix could do a 2-seater by just replacing that frame and adding one with the radar aerials.
A 2-seater might be planned as the drop tanks were only used by the 2-seaters afair

Parts 35 & 36 are the mountings for the nose mounted bombs of the fighter-bomber version.
There are flashed over mounting holes for these in the lower nose part
So a fighter-bomber version might be coming too
In the mean time if a modeller has appropiate bombs and decals he/she can build the fighter-bomber now
Looking at the sprues I think you're right on both counts Fred - I think we'll both types in the future.

fredk

Post by fredk »

Its just typical of Airfix over the last few years. They include just a few different machine parts if they can.
eg. the BE2c has numerous extra parts, the 1/48 Ju87B-1 has parts for the B-2 and R-2
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Some pictures...

Cheers!

ST

Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

I will be adding the new Me 262 to the collection, but I agree that we still have a lot of old kits that need retooling and many that have not even shown up at all.

I suppose that it's all down to sales figures. Still, the Migs were very widely used and should be available in nice new 1/72nd versions.

Airfix did give us a nice MiG 15 a while back, and it's a super little kit. In time, we may get more of the kits that we need, but we will need to be patient.
So many models, so little time.

Return to “Small Talk”