Has the Airfix Model World magazine lost its way?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Has the Airfix Model World magazine lost its way?

Post by splash »

I now only very occasionally buy modeling magazine, normally if there is an article or new kit I'm interested in.

Yesterday I had to wait for my wife and son, so I bought the Oct 17 copy of the Airfix magazine and was suprised to see that in its 114 pages the only mention of an Airfix kit was an article about their C-47 being converted to a Basler BT-67 using the Alley Cats conversion kit (8 pages in total)

Now call me an old fuddy duddy, but if it says Airfix Model World on the cover, don't you expect it to have more than 8% Airfix content?

I do miss the good old days when kit reviews just built the kits OOB and when the Airfix magazine actually contained something about their kits.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Re: Has the Airfix Model World magazine lost its way?

Post by lancfan »

It's now just another poor modern magazine Alan, way back in the good old days Airfix Magazine was filled with informed text, there were authoritative serialised articles which eventually became the basis for very good books, there was usually at least one conversion with full instructions and plans in every issue. All modelling magazines are now only fit for a dentists' waiting room.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

I agree it certainly isn't what it used to be. The conversion articles of old were superb. Now though I think it is only loosely associated with Airfix, probably in name only though I do not know for sure.
Cherrs for the heads up on the DC3 conversion article though.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Spaceowl
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Spaceowl »

Icould have done without a good quarter of the magazine being devoted to articles on the Tiger tank. I know Airfix have to cover subjects of interest to all ( aviation, AFVs, civilian transport) but such a large slice devoted to one subject seems disproportionate.
I was going to become a regular buyer; don't think I'll bother now.
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Spaceowl wrote:Icould have done without a good quarter of the magazine being devoted to articles on the Tiger tank. I know Airfix have to cover subjects of interest to all ( aviation, AFVs, civilian transport)
I know it was that article that attracted me to it as I thought it was about their Tiger kit but all three Tiger kits are from other manufacturers :shock:
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

I've been a semi-regular buyer since it first came out in 2010/11 - Buying the first issue was one of the sparks that got me into modelling.

I still think it's one of the better, it's ALWAYS been a multi'Genre, multi manufacturer magazine - I can think of a few issues with no Airfix builds at all..

That being said, I agree it is rather bland, and rather commercial. BUT, I think the same can be said of magazines in general (not just modelling) - It's certainly not the magazine of yore.

As it is, I only buy it occasionally these days if there's something I want to read about - But then I bought the P-51D issue and haven't read it yet.

Personally I'd rather read a book.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
celt

Post by celt »

I agree with whats being said,most of the kits it features are beyond my pocket and none of the modellers seem to build OOB and all seem to use an airbrush.Nothing in it for a hairy stick wielder like me. :sad:
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

AFAIK, AMW is solely owned by Key Publishing and has no relationship to Airfix/Hornby other than by licensed use of the "AIRFIX" trademark.
I got all that info by reading the particulars on the editor page of a recent issue.

AMW is my only remaining modeling subscription, all others have fallen by the wayside much for reasons mentioned above, and AMW will have the same fate when this subscription runs out.

I also greatly miss the good old days of the real Airfix Magazine and others like it.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I no longer maintain any subscriptions to modelling magazines after a number of years of doing so. I became rather fed up of kit reviews along the lines of "although the kit parts are OK, I elected to use aftermarket replacements for the seat/cockpit tub/gun/tracks" etc etc. Of course, aftermarket parts are now woven into the fabric of modern modelling and fair enough the mags will feature the use of such parts that they have been sent by manufacturers in relevant featured builds. Not really my scene though and I would prefer build reviews strictly limited to what is in the box together with features such as more in depth conversions, scale plans or such as alluded to by members above plus helpful tips and features for those just starting out in the hobby or returning after a long break. In other words, a more traditional modelling magazine!

A few years ago, I recall speculation that one of the reasons for the demise of the original Airfix mag was that it featured products by Airfix's competitors rather too much!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

ShaunW wrote:I no longer maintain any subscriptions to modelling magazines after a number of years of doing so. I became rather fed up of kit reviews along the lines of "although the kit parts are OK, I elected to use aftermarket replacements for the seat/cockpit tub/gun/tracks" etc etc. Of course, aftermarket parts are now woven into the fabric of modern modelling and fair enough the mags will feature the use of such parts that they have been sent by manufacturers in relevant featured builds. Not really my scene though and I would prefer build reviews strictly limited to what is in the box together with features such as more in depth conversions, scale plans or such as alluded to by members above plus helpful tips and features for those just starting out in the hobby or returning after a long break. In other words, a more traditional modelling magazine!

A few years ago, I recall speculation that one of the reasons for the demise of the original Airfix mag was that it featured products by Airfix's competitors rather too much!
Now you mention it, most of the build reviews do seem to be cases of 'Trigger's brush'!
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
iggie

Post by iggie »

I still subscribe to AMW and have done since it first launched; I still look forward to it arriving, but more so now for the last few pages where the descriptions/reviews are for new releases than for the builds.
I would agree that there is an awful lot of AM going into most of the builds featured, and seemingly less of the 'basic' builds that are needed to cater for new entrants to the hobby, and also less 'intermediate' builds for those with a few kits under their belt.
From the outset, the criticism I have always had about the build articles (especially the 'advanced' builds) is that the descriptions both in words and photographs about how a particular finish is achieved are poor; with rare exception, all you see is a still or two of the build part built, with a paint brush/pair of tweezers or some such implement hovering near to it, and a few words stating that 'it was then simply a case of blah blah blah.....'. Not exactly illuminating in my view. More 'how-to's with step by step descriptions and photos would make it more of a modellers magazine; currently it seems to be becoming a showcase for those with far more skill than I will likely ever have, but with little effort made to redress that balance.
As far as the choice of builds, both genre and manufacturer, I don't have any major problems; the magazine has to cater for all tastes and will therefore never suit everyone at any given time. As for it needing to favour Airfix, well that's a matter for Key and Airfix to decide commercially first and foremost I guess!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

I have to agree that builds in most model mags seem to be aimed more towards 'how I built this kit and with what' rather than a straight review of the kit. I don't mind after market stuff, but I just want to know what the kit is like!!. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
m1ks
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by m1ks »

No.
It's not a magazine BY Airfix, nor is it a magazine FOR Airfix, it's stated this quite clearly from the very first magazine, it uses the Airfix name by agreement and is logical being a British modelling magazine and Airfix being deeply ingrained in the british culture of plastic model kits, it's a mutually beneficial agreement also, good for the magazines recognition and good to get younger modellers aware of the Airfix brand again as we're flooded with variety nowadays.
The content has always been varied and amount of Airfix kits represented likewise.
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

I have to say, that apart from reviews of new models, I don't find most modelling magazines very interesting these days- too much "I used after markets parts x, Y and Z" or ACME's wonder substance is worth every penny of the £50 per pot asking price and not enough information on modelling techniques or historical background info.
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

Have to agree on the AM. Seems to me in a lot of cases it's used because it exists, not necessarily because it's better. Unless I'm building a classic kit, I'm quite happy to use what's provided. While I certainly appreciate the effort and results obtained by "going to town", I would much rather see what can be done with "as supplied" since this gives me a much better idea of what to expect.

Cheers,

Howard

Return to “Small Talk”