Rigging biplanes

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Rigging biplanes

Post by fredk »

Currently I favour using very fine monofilament fishing line.

I find it gives strength to the model whereas I've found the elastic has put a tension pull on parts and if any part, such as a top wing, gets slightly damaged the tension can pull the wing right askew

A bonus of the nylon mono is post installation tensioning/tightening; by using a hot end of a burning cocktail stick placed close to the line which causes it to tighten
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
TeeELL
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Rigging biplanes

Post by TeeELL »

As you are beginning to realise there are many differing views on what to use. Here is a couple of photos of a bi-plane rigged with invisible mending thread (see first photo) and this is the thread I spoke of in an earlier reply.

This is inexpensive, readily available and you get over 100 metres per real. The thread is .01mm so scales out at 7.2mm = 9/32" (approx. 1/3rd inch) that means it is possibly a bit too fine for 1/72, but it looks OK? It has a bit of stretch in it, I fix one end and, having passed a length through the hole at the opposite end, I weight/tension the thread using self clamping tweezers - just hanging - as I apply the super glue.

This is a 1/72 Bristol Bulldog rigged with the clear thread

Sorry about the focus! The aerial wire for the bulldog was made from the 'smokey' version of the thread.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown

Return to “Small Talk”