What grabs you on a build

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
kpnuts
Active Participant

What grabs you on a build

Post by kpnuts »

Hi all I was wondering what grabs you on a build, by that I mean what makes you stick with a build ( obviously the title has an initial grab factor) yes if its a topic you are interested in intially you will watch it but then you may loose interest quickly, but what keeps you watching a build is it the skill, artistry, subject or the way the build is posted ie humorous, technically accurate maybe historical info. My builds tend to be here is a an update oh here is another oh and an other which I realise is so boring and to make it worse I tend to write it on one site then paste and copy to the rest (we all do it) I want to improve in my posting, so what's lacking. I realise I can't be an expert in all the genres I build in (I like so many) but I've noticed you don't have to be an expert to get loads of views and comments so it can't be solely down to knowledge or skill. So what is it that gets people following a build. Subject matter, skill, knowledge or some indefinable amorphous thing.
Gregers
Forum founder

Re: What grabs you on a build

Post by Gregers »

This is one that's hard to define. For me its a myriad of things. Subject matter firstly. Does the poster put in build notes and mention the pro and cons of the kit. What techniques are used and how well they worked. Does the modeller confess to mistakes and how did he/ she overcome them - or how hard did the model bounce off the wall. And banter of course.
A build with pictures and bullet points is fine though. Informative and to the point works just as well. What ever it is its the personality of thr person coming through.
I hope this in some way answers your question. Which to be fair is a very good one.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

For me it’s the subject matter first but also build skill or techniques especially if I don’t have that skill or have used the technique before.

I also tend to follow some builders irrespective of what they build because I like to see what they do.

My favourite subjects tend to be Naval A/C, helicopters, old classic kit and scratch build work.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
59North
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by 59North »

Being typically very impatient, there must be a few essential elements involved in a build before I can become glued to it.
The build must be described with fine photos and a short, clearly worded narrative. Technique is more important to me than subject matter, although I certainly have favourite subjects that I lean toward. I'm way more likely to follow the artist over the guy with a tube of glue.
Too many times, posts are made using a dirty lense cell phone camera from way too far away. Those brain cell destroying posts become easy to just skid over.

But, this is just the opinion of one old man.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I don't think that there is a magic formula to this, KP. I take an interest in quite a number of builds on the forum (including yours!) as I like to see how other members approach different issues and modelling generally - I try not to make judgements as to ability. Quite often I'll watch a build to its conclusion even if the subject is something that I am unlikely to build myself. The builder's style of presentation is not that important to me in so far as keeping my long-term attention is concerned, if they go into detail, fine, if not that is OK too (if there is anything that I really want to know and that has not been covered, I will ask). One thing that I will say regarding presentation though, photos should at least be in focus - a blurred shot is largely a waste of time IMHO - as pictures speak a thousand words, do they not? Sometimes a build will be viewed by a large number of members, sometimes not and I think regardless of "presenting" style (for instance I think I am a bit slow and boring to be honest, but some of my builds manage to get quite a bit of interest) - in my view that is largely down to subject choice of the builder, for example WW II and/or Cold War aircraft types generally seem to be more popular than, say, civil airliners, AFVs or cars - but IMHO you should primarily build for yourself and not for the audience.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

I've never really consciously thought about what builds I follow. I probably tend to gravitate towards left field subjects and ones that incorporate scratching or spares box alterations rather than aftermarket add ons. Having said that enthusiasm for their subject, humour and sheer breathtaking skills are all compulsive viewing.
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
Zee28
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Zee28 »

I look at every build in the Aviation section. I don't always have time to comment but I never miss anything in Aviation, they are inspirational for me, irrespective of subject, and a awful lot of you guys are amazing!

I pay les attention to GBs and I really don't look at the Workbench threads at all because of the disjointed nature of them and the inability to find the subjects. I tend to rely on the builders to put their completions into the appropriate sections (Aviation, AFVs etc.) once completed within their WB threads.

I also subscribe to the school of thought that says a picture speaks a thousand words, I really like to see construction photos throughout a thread, it increases my attention greatly.

Zee28
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Interesting discussion.

The build threads I find most engaging are those where the builder is skilled but not preachy, and where the techniques are well described with good, clear photos. I think the clear photos are key, I don't care to be seeing somebody's poorly lit and messy workbench. To that end, I really like watching guys like Migrant, MikeW, and Johnsan (come back!!!) on this site, as well as people like Barry Numerick, ww2nut, and the cadre of Czech geniuses at the 72nd Aircraft site, or NavyBird at Britmodeler. That's just to name a few. There are others.

I really should make a more concentrated effort to emulate those who inspire me, but I'm generally pretty lazy about uploading work in progress, and I rarely take the time to set up a good photo. My WIP threads stink., and also I bounce around projects too much.

Return to “Small Talk”