Is it just me or have kit prices gone up?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Stamford
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Is it just me or have kit prices gone up?

Post by Stamford »

Not just the new releases but the prices being asked on e-bay for the oldies. Am I just getting tighter or have prices gone up?
running at the edge of their world
iggie

Re: Is it just me or have kit prices gone up?

Post by iggie »

I certainly think that more kits on eBay auction listings are starting at inflated prices, rather than say 99p. So much so that an ever growing number are at starting prices that are higher than buy it now prices :roll:

I think there are fewer bargains to be had......
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Do what I do and just wait for show bargains.
fredk

Post by fredk »

You are right.
The second hand kits have gone up to match the higher prices of the new kits ; as they go up the 2nd hand kit prices go up
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

iggie wrote:I think there are fewer bargains to be had......
My bargain hunting days are long over. It wasn't kit prices that killed them though, but rather shipping, tax and 'handling' costs exploding, with total costs going through the roof as a result :evil:

Most of my stash was acquired between 2001 and about 2008, when shipping was cheap and the tax vultures looked the other way. Dem woz da dayz...
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

I see less and less on e-bay that tempts me to bid :evil:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Spaceowl

Post by Spaceowl »

I can't say I've noticed, except that there are fewer 99p starters these days.
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
iggie

Post by iggie »

Ratch wrote:I see less and less on e-bay that tempts me to bid :evil:
Me too.....mostky as I've already got it :oops: :roll:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
GeorgeSweety
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by GeorgeSweety »

I think Rob is spot on with the postage issue. I have a pile of kits that I don't want anymore but listing them on ebay with postage by Recorded Delivery (to comply with Ebay/Paypoo's T&C's) and ebay taking a 10% cut of the postage as well as the listing and final value fee, if the kits sold for 99p then I'd be well out of pocket. They may well go to the local charity shop for free, no hassle, no mucking about wrapping them and no awkward buyers.
Brute force and ignorance wins every time.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I tend to keep away from e-bay - it's been the ruin of many a wallet!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

ShaunW wrote:I tend to keep away from e-bay - it's been the ruin of many a wallet!

Spoken like a true Yorkshireman :ha:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

I think kit manufacturers have responded to market demands in making more complex, detailed kits and therefore the prices have gone up. For some of the older, more basic Revell and Airfix kits the prices are still around the same level they always were, adjusting for inflation. Airfix new tool kits are often significantly more costly than their older brethren.

Also, while we're talking about P&P cost on Ebay, what in the sam hill is the deal with US postage prices. Compared to virtually anywhere else, international shipping costs from the US are absurd.
Here's an example - I was just looking for this paint on ebay as I can't find it locally. $60 shipping for a little pot of paint... are you actually joking?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Turn-Signal- ... xySy9SRjG3;

I have a few friends with family in the US who kindly allow me to use their addresses and then bring it back in luggage on the next trip, cos no way I'm buying a $15 kit for $100 because of the postage....
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

VickersVandal wrote:
Also, while we're talking about P&P cost on Ebay, what in the sam hill is the deal with US postage prices. Compared to virtually anywhere else, international shipping costs from the US are absurd.
Here's an example - I was just looking for this paint on ebay as I can't find it locally. $60 shipping for a little pot of paint... are you actually joking?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Turn-Signal- ... xySy9SRjG3;

I have a few friends with family in the US who kindly allow me to use their addresses and then bring it back in luggage on the next trip, cos no way I'm buying a $15 kit for $100 because of the postage....
Good question, well I'm sure it's a combo of the PO itself and Congress but this is a modeling forum so we won't go there.
It seems to me postage from us to anywhere is 2-3 times what it costs to send from anywhere to us. It really cuts into me offering to send parts, kits, etc over there -- I'm embarrassed to ask one of you to cover even a part of it.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

I have a local brick and mortar shop that I try to support here in Connecticut. I've found that his prices have really gone up. I can buy an average kit that isn't anything special for $30 to $40 U.S. On eBay, I may pay $20 to $30 which is only slightly better.

Today, I am very selective regarding buying a kit to build. I'm really trying to cut the stash pile down and only buying what I truly want to build. Postage, taxes, and just a shrinking availability are all adding to the costs we have to bear, and I find that I have to regulate my spending.

pmmaker
The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad"
Alice: “I’m afraid so. . . you’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. . . All the BEST people are.”
fredk

Post by fredk »

Postal/delivery prices are relative;
The cost of sending a flat whitemetal prop within the UK is 65p [= US$0.86]
To send that same letter to the US is £1.40 [= US$1.86]
In the UK the thicker the item becomes the postal prices really jump higher

I cannot post, nor receive, enamel paints through the post
If I want enamel paints, such as Hannants Xtracolor or Sovereign, I can only get them by way of a courier; minimum charge is about £16 [= US$21.23]

I used to be on a Polymer Clay forum
3 or 4 times a year we had a sort of a Group Build, but we posted our creations to one member, in the US, who swopped them around and then posted every member somebody elses creation
Everyone paid postage to and return

IIRC I paid about £12 [= US$16 apx] to send my box and paid about $8 or $9 [UK£6.50 apx] for the same box/weight back to me. Within the US the other members paid about $5. [a USPS special rate for the size of boxes we used]

I recently paid $15 for a large heavy book to come from the US by air mail. It was odd that one dealer could offer airmail for $5, one for $15 and others quoting between $42 and $85
Although one of the dealers quoting $45 included pre-paying customs fees on the book. I paid £25 [= US$33] customs at my end

A couple of years ago I did a 'modelling buddy' thing with a modeller in Australia.
He bought several Airfix kits direct from Airfix/Hornby and had them sent to me. I then forwarded them on to him, he paying the postage via me.
Airfix charge was about £60 for the order, afair I sent it on for about £16 [whatever the prices there was considerable savings]

Just some thoughts on the matter of postage
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.

Return to “Small Talk”