figures and disturbing implications

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Re: figures and disturbing implications

Post by lancfan »

Then I am slightly confused as this has got very muddy as to what is the real point here- the amount of attention given to the fringe sale of expensive and very well sculpted large scale SS busts and figures is slightly puzzling and can/does seem to glorify Nazism/Fascism when there does not seem to be similar large scale kits of Winston Spencer Churchill, Bernard Law Montgomery, Dwight D. Eeisenhower, Arthur 'Bomber' Harris and many others, this would be a suitable niche for Airfix to fill in its dormant 1/12 scale historical figures range- sets of standing figures in 1/72, 1/48 and 1/35 scales (in hard plastic) of notable figures such as known leaders and generals on both sides and famous pilots of all nationalities from both world wars and beyond would not break the bank for any mainstream manufacturer willing to dip their toes into this genre. As for female figures how about ATA and WASP pilots in /12 or larger scales ?

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
TeeELL
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TeeELL »

I have a few, very few 1/35th scale British or British operated tanks of the North Africa campaign. I have looked for figures to populate them and, whilst some are certainly available, if I were modelling the Afrika Corps then my choice is greatly expanded. There is a disproportionate availability of Axis figures rather than Allied across the board. (I am begining to think there is a model of every soldier who was a member of the German army!).
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

There is a universal and desperate need for IM tank crews and tank riders (not to mention stowage) in all major scales.

David
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
fredk

Post by fredk »

lancfan wrote:... when there does not seem to be similar large scale kits of Winston Spencer Churchill, Bernard Law Montgomery, Dwight D. Eeisenhower, Arthur 'Bomber' Harris and many others, ...
This problem goes back at least over 200 years. After 1814 Europe, UK and the Americas had an over abundance of plaster busts of Napoleon, but not one of Wellington or Nelson, Washington or Jackson.
Even Sir Conan Doyle used this fact in his Shelock Holmes story 'The Five Napoleons'

Possibly, I think, the preponderance of SS machines is due to copyright.
Make a kit of the Panzer IV, or the SS officer you don't need to pay any fee for production rights
Make a kit of an M60 Patton and you have to pay GMC a fee to do so.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

"Make a kit of an M60 Patton and you have to pay GMC a fee to do so."

I don't believe that this is correct. It has been attempted by some manufacturers - even the RAF tried to license use of the roundel - but with limited success, especially where the original has been developed with public money.

It is possibly more correct that there is often, for whatever reason, a greater fascination with those who did not come first in a conflict (unlike today where there are no losers), noting the apparent equal fascination with forces of the Confederate states, Napoleon, etc

However, so long as we break no laws, we should continue to build whatever takes our fancy...and I must admit taht, while I never considered such previously, this thread has spurred some interest in fantasy figures... :)
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me

Return to “Small Talk”