Pre-built models and Code 3 Modifications

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
pmmaker
Active Participant

Pre-built models and Code 3 Modifications

Post by pmmaker »

Since I'm new here on the forum, I was wondering if a phenomenon that is fairly common in the die-cast side of things is prevalent in the plastic kit building world. I'm referring to Code 3s - which is defined as the purchasing and then modifying of pre-built plastic models. I know of quite a few ex-modelers who buy die-cast models and then make cosmetic and physical changes to them. But have any of you ever used your modeling skills to modify or tinker with, say an Easy Model aircraft or other pre-made models available out there?

I apologize if this question is out of bonds or in the wrong space. I'm just curious.

pmmaker
The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad"
Alice: “I’m afraid so. . . you’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. . . All the BEST people are.”
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Re: Pre-built models and Code 3 Modifications

Post by jssel »

I have several 21st Century 32 Scale kits and pre-builts. I re-finished the built up Fw190F with good results. Just wanted something different. There could be issues in the competition side of the house. I have built up many of the kits and miss them a lot.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I don’t see an issue you only have to see what Vacant does with old built kits, he strips them down to the bare bones and restores /modifies them into very hi standard builds.

Also look at what all the railway modellers do converting the pre-built trains.

I think it’s only the metal model collectors who have an issue with code 3 models as it takes away the value of the original model. On this forum we tend to build kits rather than saving the unbuilt kits as an investment.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I customised a few Matchbox cars in my teens. A couple were in a Mad Msx style.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

A friend would buy HO diesel engines and happily hack them into different variants, it was fun and interesting to watch.

Typically US contest/shows would exclude a commercially built or finished model unless it had significant additional work by the modeler. I do remember some years back when the 21st Century kits came out, a number of people rebuilt/painted them and entered into contests.

Here, I don't think we really care. What is the difference between (re)painting a pre-built and painting a figure bust which has maybe 2 or 3 parts ?
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

splash wrote:I don’t see an issue you only have to see what Vacant does with old built kits, he strips them down to the bare bones and restores /modifies them into very hi standard builds.

Also look at what all the railway modellers do converting the pre-built trains.

I think it’s only the metal model collectors who have an issue with code 3 models as it takes away the value of the original model. On this forum we tend to build kits rather than saving the unbuilt kits as an investment.

Regards Splash
I've done my fair share of modifying die-cast plane models. That my modifications would affect the value either positively or negatively wasn't a major concern unless the model in question was very expensive - then I'd be concerned that I'd screw it up. In fact, doing Code 3 work on my die-casts was the impetus that got me back into plastic kit building. I figured that if I was repainting a die-cast model and adding my own markings, I might as well build it too.

My initial question was just asked to see if any of our members buy pre-built plastic models and use their talents and skills to make them better. There are times when buying a pre-made model is easier than building it out of the box. For example - three Easy Model P-40B/C models that I've tinkered with:

Alice: “I’m afraid so. . . you’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. . . All the BEST people are.”
Eric Mc
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Eric Mc »

I think that most of us don't "accurise" pre-built die casts for a number of reasons -

they are generally more expensive to buy than a plastic kit in the same scale of the same subject

the detail (such as panel lines) are often heavy handed and therefore difficult to correct

we like working with plastic
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

Eric Mc wrote:I think that most of us don't "accurise" pre-built die casts for a number of reasons -

they are generally more expensive to buy than a plastic kit in the same scale of the same subject

the detail (such as panel lines) are often heavy handed and therefore difficult to correct

we like working with plastic
I agree Eric - buying die-cast is a whole different experience than building a plastic kit. But there are pre-built plastic models (Easy Model, 21st Century, New Ray) that are quick pick-ups and save building time. If done well, modifications can enhance these products and turn so-so models into beautiful additions to a collection.

Like you, I prefer to build and paint a plastic kit over just buying a die-cast model. But there are times when the long process of gluing, filling, sanding, cutting, and scratch-building gets tedious and I just want to paint and decal a pre-built model. It doesn't happen often, but I do occasionally go this route.

pmmaker
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

I've painted and detailed a few 1/24 car diecasts, when it's something I want that there's no plastic kit for... Most of them can use detail painting in the interior (if you're a cheapskate like me and stick to Welly, Norev or even Burago base models...)

best,
M.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

I've done this to an Easy Models RAF Typhoon, slightly edited the landing gear and added black paint to the gun buldge.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

It really depends on what you (anyone) wants out of it. I see the logic of repainting a number of pre-builts to represent different schemes, etc, rather than building and then painting the same number of kits, etc. There's a few "markings" projects on my "to be finished ... someday" shelf that would have benefitted from that approach.

But most of us here are builders by nature, having started that way as youth and still consider that a part of the hobby. In some respects, my ultimate would be to build a really complex kit so perfectly that I could leave it completely unpainted and no seams, scratches, glue, or any other flaw would show.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
fredk

Post by fredk »

The ready-built plastic aeroplanes are not available in the shops here.
I bought one once, off ebay, just to see what it was like.
If they were available here cheaply I might buy some to use my spare markings on but the ebay one cost twice the price of a kit once postage was added to its sale price
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
iggie

Post by iggie »

As Fred says, I've not seen any pre-built aircraft other than those you see on eBay sold as 'for display' which are built kits from private sellers. I'm intrigued by the concept of pre-assembled kits; who builds them and how?
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

The Easymodel range are the Hobbyboss kits. Pre assembled and I believe the markings are tampo printed on them just the same as on diecast metal models. Then the parts are put together afterwards. Ther are fairly cheap here in the UK. We stock a good range of them at work. Hope this helps.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

And I fully intend to build, repaint and, if necessary, modify the 1/144 WWII RAF Gashapon kits I've been buying!
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."

Return to “Small Talk”