Pre-built models and Code 3 Modifications

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Eric Mc
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Pre-built models and Code 3 Modifications

Post by Eric Mc »

I've built a number of the Hobbyboss easybuild kits and I rather like them. They can turn out really well and I intend to build a few more.
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

Eric Mc wrote:I've built a number of the Hobbyboss easybuild kits and I rather like them. They can turn out really well and I intend to build a few more.
The two I've built went together well and look the part. The easy construction lets the builder save time building and allows for more time being spent on detailing. They aren't bad kits for a quick build.

pmmaker
The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad"
Alice: “I’m afraid so. . . you’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. . . All the BEST people are.”
Muttzley
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Muttzley »

I've painted up a couple of the DeAgonstini die cast tanks before, either as alternative colour schemes, to build variants, because they were vehicles that are very hard to obtain in kit form, (T-28, T-35, Char B1, S35, spring to mind).

Details are a bit soft on the hull castings, you get some lovely gaps between sections and the tracks are awful rubber bands with ridges, but nothing a bit of paint, a touch of filler and a gollop of mud can't hide. (and frankly I've built worse! anyone ever seen the 1/72 Lee BergePanther?).

I've often wondered though, why not just cast the hull in plastic, (which, apart from a metal strip on the inside, is the only die cast part on the tank, the lower hull, wheels, turret and guns are all good 'ol plastic), and just pump them out as cheap kits?

Return to “Small Talk”