Aircraft stands.

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
celt
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Aircraft stands.

Post by celt »

I have just received some Frog kits and they all came with stands.Can ayone tell me what year did Airfix stop including stands with their kits.The reason I ask is I want to buy some classic kits and want the ones that have stands included.IMHO the models look much better wheels up and on stands.
Ratch

Re: Aircraft stands.

Post by Ratch »

celt wrote:Can ayone tell me what year did Airfix stop including stands with their kits.
Airfix still sell the stands separately ;-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
iggie

Post by iggie »

Ratch wrote:
celt wrote:Can ayone tell me what year did Airfix stop including stands with their kits.
Airfix still sell the stands separately ;-)
They do indeed, 12 for £9.99, Item Code: AF1008. Your LMS should be able to order some for you perhaps, as I know you aren't keen on internet buying
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
celt

Post by celt »

Hi Ratch and iggie,thanks for the info,but what I meant was,I am interested in buying classic kits and would like the ones which come with stands in the box.I thought if I knew when Airfix stopped putting stands in their kits I would know which ones to buy.
Muttzley
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Muttzley »

Wouldn't put money on it, but can't remember seeing any stands when I buy the "Palitoy" era kits, (boxes with a picture of the assembled model), hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong
jezbrook
Getting well comfy!

Post by jezbrook »

The Moulds for the stands were 'lost' for a long time until Trevor and I found them in the mould store at Margate a few years ago. Since then Airfix has been offering the stands separately.
celt

Post by celt »

Hi all thanks for the feedback,but its not that I want to buy stands,I want to buy kits with the stands in them.Recently to to health problems I am having trouble holding and gripping small parts,so I tried moving up to 1/48 for the bigger parts,but they take up much more display space and cost a lot more than I can afford. I built a couple of Frog 1/72 kits and they were just perfect for me,basic kits,no small fiddly parts,and each one came with a neat stand.My question is this,when I was younger,many years ago,all Airfix kits came with stands,I want to know when did they stop issuing stands with their kits,as I wish to buy kits with stands in the box.I think it was mid seventies but I am not sure.Kits from this era are just right for my limited grip,basic with no fiddly bits,plus they came with neat stands.Hope you can help.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

I don't think you can put a definitive date on when they stopped being included in kits. I suspect that most Types 1, 2 & 3 (red stripe) baggies will include a base, but I wouldn't guarantee it. I suspect that stands started to disappear from Type 4 (onwards) boxes, but occasionally you might get one in the box. Dogfight Doubles had the A Frame type of stands for a long time, but I've had odd boxes of these without the stands - luck of the draw really :roll:
Airfix Tribute Forum
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

My memory seems to say to me "sometime in the mid 1970s". I have a funny feeling stands disappeared from Series 1 kits when they switched from polythene bags to blister packs.

As someone previously mentioned, by the time Palitoy took over (1979/80) they had gone.

I can't see what the problem is in buying the current "bag of stands" that Airfix currently sells. That means you can buy any kit from any era (and any manufacturer) and make use of the Airfix stands.

I rarely use stands so have built up a collection of unused stands from various manufactures which is nice to have because, if I DO decide to put my model on a stand, I can then select a suitable stand for any kit I chose to build, no matter whether the stand and kit manufacturer are different. For example, my 1/100 Revell/Heller Apollo Command/Service Module sits on an old FROG multi-position stand.

I also make my own stands using yogurt pots and brass rod.
celt

Post by celt »

Hi Ratch Eric Mc,thanks for the info,most helpful.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Eric Mc wrote:My memory seems to say to me "sometime in the mid 1970s". I have a funny feeling stands disappeared from Series 1 kits when they switched from polythene bags to blister packs.
Eric, I had an Auster in a blister with the small stand :ha:
Airfix Tribute Forum
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

celt wrote:Hi Ratch Eric Mc,thanks for the info,most helpful.
I have four Airfix kits with the clear plastic stands in, they are dated from 1973 to 1978, all are artwork box tops with a blue bar with the aircraft name on. If you want them they're all yours, can't see myself using them. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
fredk

Post by fredk »

Ratch wrote:
Eric Mc wrote:My memory seems to say to me "sometime in the mid 1970s". I have a funny feeling stands disappeared from Series 1 kits when they switched from polythene bags to blister packs.
Eric, I had an Auster in a blister with the small stand :ha:
I've had blister packs with and without stands. I also have had two kits, the same kit, both in the blue-print boxes, one had a stand the other didn't. Mostly the 'Special Edition' boxes did not have stands, although the airliners in them may have had stands, or not.
As a guess I'd say the stands stopped being included with the bigger kits from the late 1970s and with the smaller kits from about 1980
Problem tho; a blister pack of a series 1 kit goes for up to 10x the price of the same kit in a red box, same for the other series' in the red-stripe boxes compared to red box issues
as others suggest; buy the stand set then buy the cheaper redbox issue of the kit.........and take up offers of free stands, :lol:
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
celt

Post by celt »

Hi fredk,thanks for the info,regarding the offer of free stands if anyone has stands to give away please send them my way. :grin:I used to make my own stands but we had some terrible news a couple of weeks ago,so my spare time is is almost non-existent.New kits with their multitude parts are out and classic kits with few parts and wheels up are in.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Celt Il have a look through my stash and any stands in there are yours if you like?

Return to “Small Talk”