MicroAce 1/24 R/C kits ?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

MicroAce 1/24 R/C kits ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Anyone into these yet, have any experience with them ? https://microaces.myshopify.com/;
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Zee28
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: MicroAce 1/24 R/C kits ?

Post by Zee28 »

These particular kits are unfamiliar to me John, but they look great!

But I have built and flown similarly sized models with miniature R/C gear constructed in similar materials and they've been pretty successful. But usually not outdoors unless it's absolutely dead calm because a breeze really knocks them around due to their diminutive dimensions.

Zee28
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Thanks, Zee, as I live on the coast, with wind a given, that was my concern also.

They are interesting. The D.VIII has a coupled aileron-rudder unlike the others which are throttle, rudder, elevator only. I have been looking at the SE5a and the F2B but the letter seems like an awful lot of work to smash up. They certainly seem well designed.

Could be tempting to break with tradition here and do one or the other in the RAF 100 or GW1918 GBs :)
iggie

Post by iggie »

I've not seen these before..... and I'm kind of wishing you hadn't put the link up :shock: I may have to look into them in more detail :grin:
What transmitter do they use? I have an old (very) Acoms set lurking around in the garage but I expect no one sells the coal for it anymore :roll: :-D :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

It appears you are buying the aircraft kit, then add your own electronics. They appear to carry some but the rest of it would be found in any park flyer store I suspect. I'm not real familiar with the micro stuff, but I do have a couple 2.4ghz transmitters that might do, none of my other gear will.
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Hi John and Iggie,

The micro stuff I have used has been 2.4Ghz digital John, as is the larger stuff I have.

Sorry Iggie, your Acoms is probably 27Mhz AM or 35Mhz FM. Still perfectly useable with similar receivers etc. (I have two planes still using it now) but the 2.4Ghz stuff is more reliable and doesn't require crystals etc. it just needs 'Binding' to the receiver. Easiest way to tell which is which is the transmitter aerial. If it's long and telescopic metal then it's the older gear, if it's short and stubby (like on a Broadband wireless router) then it's 2.4Ghz.

I use Spectrum stuff myself. Quite cheap too (Like me!).

John, the coupled aileron-rudder can really make otherwise difficult to control planes a bit easier to fly and is a cool thing. Back in the old days I had to remember to do it manually at the sticks, not easy! I have the splintered balsa to prove it...... :sad:

Zee28
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Yeah, but to fly a D.8 would just go against the grain. Maybe I could disguise it as a Pietenpol Sky Scout :)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I agree on the coupled rudder-aileron, and on further thought it seems that I could buy the SE5a and a D.VIII and then figure out how to make at least one wing, upper or lower, ailerons work.

Return to “Small Talk”