Lack of British 1/72 AFV

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Lack of British 1/72 AFV

Post by splash »

Why is it that in 1/72 - 1/76 scale, there is a distinct lack of British AFV on the market?

Apart from some short run resin models, I can’t find any of the FV432 family or apart from the Scimitar/Sabre any of the rest of the Scimitar family. More worrying the lack of post war MBT’s like the Chieftain.

I know Airfix did the Chieftain and Centurion but they are getting hard to find and expensive.

Post Cold War British AFV’s seem to be well covered by Revell/Matchbox and Trumpeter.

It’s just the 50’s - 80’s that’s missing by the main kit manufactures.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Kitaholic
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Lack of British 1/72 AFV

Post by Kitaholic »

Agreed. Although Ace ( limited run but getting better) are starting to make some, Centurion Mk 3 and Mk 5 ( completed the 5 and it's a lovely kit ) and the Scorpion and Scimitar oh and a beautiful FV-622 Stalwart ( I know, not an AFV) , and the monstrous FV-4005 ( one at Bovington) . Hopefully they will add more to the range.
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

The Ace centurions are wonderful kits. Don't let the short run nature scare you off. They may have big sprue gates and a bit of flash (but not really), but they're well engineered. Better than any afv kit Airfix ever made.
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Agreed, the 4005 is a cracking kit, and a vast improvement over the only other Ace kit I've built. But we definitely need more British machines.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
jamesaw

Post by jamesaw »

There were a few resin kits kicking around in the '90's that were pretty good (but very expensive). I have a Warrior, but forget who made it. I converted the Airfix Chieftain back in the day to a MkX and another to a MkXII, but it was a lot of work!

Just remembered who made these but not sure if still available: ebay maybe?

http://www.onthewaymodels.com/kitlists/ ... models.htm;
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Matador Models do the FV432. Not cheap though I'm afraid.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
chrism

Post by chrism »

Milicast have a few items that might be of interest

... http://www.milicast.com/shop/search.php ... rch&page=1;

Matador (mentioned in the post before by Dazzled) however are not really set up for mail order... they don't have online ordering or a phone number you can even call to talk to anyone... You have to post them a letter reciting all your card details and the security number off back .. Or send a cheque .... and as for postage well ... sort of guess at it I guess,
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

I gave up with Matador, the bloke who runs it seems stuck in the dark ages as far as ordering goes. I did phone him a few times and got excuses that I am sure teachers are all too familiar with for lack of homework! (He didn't use the excuse that "the guinea-pig ate my order" though!). Finding the phone number was quite a challenge and required lateral thinking, but I got there in the end. For all the good it did me.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
Spaceowl

Post by Spaceowl »

TeeELL wrote:I gave up with Matador, the bloke who runs it seems stuck in the dark ages as far as ordering goes. I did phone him a few times and got excuses that I am sure teachers are all too familiar with for lack of homework! (He didn't use the excuse that "the guinea-pig ate my order" though!). Finding the phone number was quite a challenge and required lateral thinking, but I got there in the end. For all the good it did me.
Same as Navwar, the naval wargaming supplier of 1/3000 scale ships. Not only does he not have any e-commerce facility at all, he seems proud of it, as if he were single-handedly holding off the march of progress. It's amazing the eccentrics you find running a business in our hobbies. After all, we're only trying to give them money, why make it difficult? :roll:
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Add Cromwell to that list, any "stockist" ( that term is used in the loosest possible sense ) has a backlog of approx. 250 kits on my last conversations with them so can't even give you a waiting time. Shame as some of Mr. Brown's stuff looks rather nice.
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
gengriz
Active Participant

Post by gengriz »

Kitaholic wrote:Add Cromwell to that list
The Cromwell stuff is superb with astonishing levels of detail; but as you say, availability is at the whim of the man who makes them pretty much as a hobby. He does seem to have a thing about Israeli AFVs, but his cold war Brit stuff is also very good; I have a Tracked Rapier, FV432, Abbot and Spartan in my collection:

B.W. also used to be superb, but the man who made them retired a few years back, although I have seen a few resurrected in resin from a chap in Cornwall:

Here is the B.W. Stolly, along with the JB/Airfix Saracen and Saladin:

and the B.W. Ferret:

and the B.W. Bv206:

I also have one of his Supacat Jackals still to build - waiting on a rainy day!

More here:

http://www.gengriz.co.uk/Tankweb/darksidebrits.htm

FredT :)
50+ years of modelling: http://www.gengriz.co.uk
Recently retired after completing the biggest and most amazing construction kits in the whole world, EVER:
http://youtu.be/2syAt3jXq4s[/color]
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Hi Splash mate. I don't really build AFVs but this post is very interesting. One thing I picked up on that ties in with another discussion on Small Talk was:
splash wrote:I know Airfix did the Chieftain and Centurion but they are getting hard to find and expensive.
Would some re-issues of these kits, from Airfix, at a reasonable price, help with this? I guess so......

Regards,

Zee28
bassman
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by bassman »

In my small stash I still have a bagged Centurion Mk8 (paperheader). If this one ever will be re-released be aware that it is not up to modern standards. It is a nice classic though and I am sure that there is a market for it.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

bassman wrote:In my small stash I still have a bagged Centurion Mk8 (paperheader). If this one ever will be re-released be aware that it is not up to modern standards. It is a nice classic though and I am sure that there is a market for it.
I have managed to get two Airfix centurions on eBay, as you say they aren’t up to modern standards but at half the price of the only other kits I can find.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.

Return to “Small Talk”