How big is your Pile of Shame?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: How big is your Pile of Shame?

Post by JamesPerrin »

Two very long term projects (one must be over 20 years now) and half a dozen things I've started over the last few years, as they were meant to be quick builds that turned into not so quick builds - but they are all in an incremental state.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by DavidWomby »

JamesPerrin wrote:Two very long term projects (one must be over 20 years now) and half a dozen things I've started over the last few years, as they were meant to be quick builds that turned into not so quick builds - but they are all in an incremental state.
Is your 'incremental' state as glacial as mine, James?

David
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

Joining this forum has proved to be a veritable 'Preparation H' as far as my piles are concerned. (the kits are stored in separate boxes according to era)
I very rarely make anything OOB and a lot of the projects I started were a bit ambitious for the skills, knowledge and technology that were available to me at the time. I'm currently building nine kits that I started last century!
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I have four builds currently staring accusingly at me, the fifth is now back on the bench. It's quite rare for me not to finish a build but when it does happen and a model ends up on the SoS I can find it difficult to return to the build at a later stage. In the past I have gone back to builds and finished them, sometimes years later, but in most cases I push the model around a little, mull and chew and then put it back on the shelf having failed to resist the temptations of a fresh box of untouched plastic :ha: I'll see how it goes with my newly resurrected Sea Harrier build!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

My started kits = all of them, so somewhere in the region of 200! That is because my favourite part is cutting the kit parts from the runners (I am led to believe sprues is not the correct term here - and even worse spruce, which last time I looked was a type of coniferous evergreen!). I also like gluing bits together but then start to bottle it as soon as painting is required. :roll:
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
iggie

Post by iggie »

beany wrote:My started kits = all of them, so somewhere in the region of 200! That is because my favourite part is cutting the kit parts from the runners (I am led to believe sprues is not the correct term here - and even worse spruce, which last time I looked was a type of coniferous evergreen!). I also like gluing bits together but then start to bottle it as soon as painting is required. :roll:
Heretic!! :shock: :shock:

(and you are right about the mis-use of sprue:
Gate: The channel through which the molten resin flows from the runner into the cavity.
Runner: In an injection mold, the feed channel, usually of circular cross section, which connects the
sprue with the cavity gate. The term is also used for the plastic piece formed in this channel.
Sprue: The feed opening provided in injection molding between the nozzle and cavity or runner system.
So 'runner' may be better, or 'gate' even more so.....)

"sits back to await further debate on this" :-D Image
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
arni

Post by arni »

Just one a six wheel rat rod with a R R Merlin engine! not touched it since pm today. :ha:
Crashpilot
...happily fooling around with styrene

Post by Crashpilot »

I reduced my pile to 12 un-finished models, I do feel goof....no, good about that!
The pile used to be a lot bigger, stood at 19, once!
And I keep on reducing: right now it´s more satisfying for me, to finish half-finished kits.
I´m not keen on unstarted kits anymore :-)
Waiting for the day, when wars for territory will be something to be read about in history books only.

Playing Tetris taught me: If I clean up too much, my kits disappear.....8-(

Markus, alias Crashpilot, or Crash, or CP, as you wish
The Great Auk

Post by The Great Auk »

I've got two models in the Pile of Shame - a 1/72 Revell Arado E 555 being morphed into a 1/144 airliner and a 1/144 Ju-52 being converted to jet power. I've lost track of how long they've been collecting dust but it's got to be over five years now.

The Great (-ly embarrassed) Auk
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

That is a very cool way to do the E.555. I have one in the ready stash but will probably do it as an Amerikabomber. Some day. Maybe even in this century.....
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
carlos
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by carlos »

Maybe a dozen or so....
Off the top of my head:
Revell 1/72 Dambuster Lanc that's being converted back to a standard B.III
Revell 1/32 Spitfire 22/24
Airfix 1/144 737
Airfix 1/144 Comet 4B
Revell 1/144 Super-Connie
Revell 1/48 UH-1 Huey
Revell 1/32 Hawk T1 (Red Arrows kit, but I'm building with a 70s/80s wraparound camo)
Italeri 1/72 MC.205 Veltro
Airfix 1/72 FW-190 A8
ICM 1/72 Tupolev Tu-2
And two long-term 'partworks' magazine models which I have all the parts for, but have stalled:
1-200 Bismarck (over 4ft long, and has something like 70 etch sheets, white-metal parts, resin, etc...)
1-100 HMS Victory (somewhere around 2½ ft long, and a similar height to top of sails - also LOTS of etch/resin/white-metal/etc.)

Probably missed one or two, but it's been so long I don't remember - and it's after midnight right now and I can't be bothered to go into my den and check.
Currently on bench: ICM 1/72 Tupolev Tu-2
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Wow Carlos, that is quite a laundry list! Most of mine are stalled due to missing parts and a mountain of proper research to get a few of them looking at least somewhat as advertised in the brochures :shock:
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

How big is my Pile of Shame? I have hung Tibet Prayer Cloth and hired a Sherpa to help reach the top. :-D
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Apart from having four kits on the bench at the moment I've got somewhere in the region of 20 started ones either on shelves or in the loft room. The ones in the Den include:

1/72 Monogram B-36
1/72 Mach 2 Avro York
1/9 Tamiya Ducati MHR900
1/144 Airfix Vostok
1/72 Airfix RAF Recovery Set
1/72 Airfix Handley Page 0/400
1/32 Meng Me163 Komet
1/72 Heller I-153
1/72 Hasegawa Ki-27
1/700 Revell USS Saipan
1/600 Airfix HMS Victorious
1/600 Airfix USS Forrestal
1/48 Eduard P-39

and probably a couple more.

The ones in the loft have among them:

1/72 Matchbox Flower Class Corvette
AMT/Ertl Millennium Falcon
(Both stalled for about 20 years)

Revell Jaguar XKSS
Airfix 1/72 Chinook (which should, by rights, be in the bin!)

And I'm sure there are a few that I've forgotten.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
The Great Auk

Post by The Great Auk »

Dazzled wrote:Apart from having four kits on the bench at the moment I've got somewhere in the region of 20 started ones either on shelves or in the loft room. The ones in the Den include:

1/72 Monogram B-36

<snip>
There's no shame in that monster being a bench queen. I've never heard of one being built in under a year. I have a good friend who's acquired 36 of these kits and if he started on them today, he'll be building them until he's 101 years old.

Maybe that's his cunning plan for longevity?

The Great Auk

Return to “Small Talk”