Middle Wallop B.O.B. Airfield layout info. needed.

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Jim
Getting well comfy!

Middle Wallop B.O.B. Airfield layout info. needed.

Post by Jim »

Hi folks!

I'm back in the workshop again after a prolonged absence due to continuing problems with my leg, following my accident in January 2015. After a 4th (ultimately unsuccessful) op. at the beginning of the year, I rather lost my "mojo" , but I have just re-started work on my Battle of Britain Middle Wallop airfield diorama.

I am still missing some basic facts about the layout of Middle Wallop despite several searches on the Internet, so I would be very grateful if anyone on the forum could supply me with the following information, or suggest suitable sources I could access.

1) Were there any blast pens for dispersal, or just hard standing areas?
2) Where was the Control Tower in relation to the runways? (I do have an aerial photo of the runway layout, but can't make out much detail)
3) What defences were there and where would they have been?

I am not looking for 100% accuracy by any means, but I am keen to produce something more than a generic B.O.B. fighter station.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help.

Regards

Jim
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Middle Wallop B.O.B. Airfield layout info. needed.

Post by chrism »

Have you tried the museum itself as they have a lot of wartime gubbins exhibited there?

I do have other suggestions but will revert to a larger scteen and keyboard and write via privately via a pm this evening.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

You need to find yourself a copy of Battle of Britain: Then and Now, the After the Battle book. You can find them at Abebooks for about 25-30 quid, or check with your library about an inter-library loan. It has a 13 page section about Middle Wallop during the battle, including many photos. As it is still available new, I will not scan my copy - sorry.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Jim
Getting well comfy!

Post by Jim »

chrism wrote:Have you tried the museum itself as they have a lot of wartime gubbins exhibited there?

I do have other suggestions but will revert to a larger scteen and keyboard and write via privately via a pm this evening.
PaulBradley wrote:You need to find yourself a copy of Battle of Britain: Then and Now, the After the Battle book. You can find them at Abebooks for about 25-30 quid, or check with your library about an inter-library loan. It has a 13 page section about Middle Wallop during the battle, including many photos. As it is still available new, I will not scan my copy - sorry.
Dear Chris and Paul,
Thank you both for your prompt replies and excellent suggestions. Unfortunately Chris, I am still unable to travel very far, but I shall certainly drop an e-mail to the museum and I shall keep an eye out for your PM.

As for the "Battle of Britain: Then and Now" book Paul, it is not one that I have come across before, surprisingly and I shall track down a copy forthwith. There is no need to apologise for not photocopying a book still in print: as a wildlife photographer, I am rather sensitive about copyright myself.

Regards

Jim

Return to “Small Talk”