Star Wars vs 633 Squadron

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
Zee28
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Star Wars vs 633 Squadron

Post by Zee28 »

I have never seen ANY Star Wars movies! Not quite sure how I've managed to avoid them really, being that every time George Lucas wanted a new swimming pool/car/house/whatever he banged out another one. How many are there? Must be loads, it's getting like $&%*ing Police Academy!

So it's 633 for me all the way.

George Lucas did make one good movie once though, 'American Graffiti', truly excellent in every way.
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Quite right too
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

MarkyM607 wrote:I don't mean to criticise anyone's opinions but I can't say that I think they don't make good films. True I'm really only going on Star Wars but as the films are my main interest in Star Wars I think they are pretty good. True, not much, even the prequels or sequels can match the original trilogy, but I enjoyed both and was not disappointed that I went to see them. I always try and give things one shot to impress, whether it's ebay or films or whatever.
Again, hope no one is upset at my view but I prefer to see things for myself rather than let a stranger or whoever tell me I shouldn't see something because.....
Thanks for putting up with my rambling and opinions. :grin:
Disney probably isn't a good company ethically (which large corporation is these days) but I would agree that they do make some good films - ask my kids.

I've only just recently seen 'The Force Awakens'. I have to say it was better than I thought it would be, even it was 'The New Hope' rehashed. I really enjoyied 'Rogue one'.

Mind you, it's often struck me that if I wanted to watch a film about a group of rebels, fighting an evil empire against all costs, with mass dogfights thrown in - I'd watch the 'Battle of Britian' :-D

Cheers!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Stuart wrote:Mind you, it's often struck me that if I wanted to watch a film about a group of rebels, fighting an evil empire against all costs, with mass dogfights thrown in - I'd watch the 'Battle of Britian' :-D
LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Brilliant!
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

After George Lucas' effort at a second trilogy, it's kinda hard to complain about anyone else's efforts...

Am hoping that Peter Jackson will knock off 633 Squadron once he pulls finder and does the Dambusters...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I can do without I-II and watch III only grudgingly. Other than that, a huge fan of the rest, including III.95.
SWMBO and I saw VIII last evening, loved it, even if a bit long, and go see it again in a few days.
We prepped for it by bingeing VII then V, just prior.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Star Wars seems to attract a devoted fan base (as do lots of things in life) but I generally don't watch any space-based Sci Fi, don't know why, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

But each to their own and I would never criticise anyone for loving it. After all, some of the things that I like in life would certainly not appeal to everyone!

Let's face it, I am sure we've all been ribbed at some time or other for our hobby of model making. I know I got it big-time at work, teased mercilessly with phrases like 'Childish', 'Pointless', Grow up, it's a kid's thing' and 'Too sedentary'.

And that was just the women! Admittedly, it was quite a 'Blue Collar' environment where men were expected to play soccer, drink beer and leer at women (that were way out of their league)......
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Zee28 wrote:Star Wars seems to attract a devoted fan base (as do lots of things in life) but I generally don't watch any space-based Sci Fi, don't know why, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

But each to their own and I would never criticise anyone for loving it. After all, some of the things that I like in life would certainly not appeal to everyone!

Let's face it, I am sure we've all been ribbed at some time or other for our hobby of model making. I know I got it big-time at work, teased mercilessly with phrases like 'Childish', 'Pointless', Grow up, it's a kid's thing' and 'Too sedentary'.

And that was just the women! Admittedly, it was quite a 'Blue Collar' environment where men were expected to play soccer, drink beer and leer at women (that were way out of their league)......
Yeah I get it at work too (from the men and the women) - It makes me laugh - I prefer wine, hate football and don't need to leer at women as I happen to be married to a rather nice looking one.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Stuart wrote:
Zee28 wrote:Star Wars seems to attract a devoted fan base (as do lots of things in life) but I generally don't watch any space-based Sci Fi, don't know why, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

Yeah I get it at work too (from the men and the women) - It makes me laugh - I prefer wine, hate football and don't need to leer at women as I happen to be married to a rather nice looking one.
I'm with you there Stuart! I have never had any interest in soccer at all, somebody at work once said that I must be gay if I don't like footie. Immature or what? I got my own back by saying "Well you're the guy paying to watch men run around in tight-fitting shorts." :-D

I found his comment offensive not just to me, but to gay men as well.

As for chasing women, well I'm too lazy. It takes way too much effort, especially at my age.....
(And, to take your point..... You don't go out for a burger when you've got steak at home).
FAAMAN
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by FAAMAN »

Funny, I saw Star Wars on it's first day at the Roxy Theater in Parramatta in 1977 with the family, Dad made the comment "633 Squadron/Dam Buster's in space" after the movie :shock: :shock:
Love S/Wars I to VI and Clone Wars 8-) 8-) Disney's managed to stuff it up and upset a lot of fans since they "took over" :evil:
I prefer the sound of two Merlins too 8-) 8-)
Been modelling for years, still learning . . . .
Model kits are meant to be assembled . . . . . . . . . . eventually.

Return to “Small Talk”